Unlisted Varieties

Started by gnome, January 11, 2013, 11:35:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

gnome

Thanks, :) I was over the moon with this one, well it was up there with the 34 3d ddo anyway. It was very easy on the eye to see what it was. The hunt is on to see if there is a 1940 and 1942 available as well. Fingers crossed. :)

NZCoinerrors

Recently well yesterday I got carried away and purchased some Aussie coins at an auction (like I dont have enough NZ coins to sort) but quickly having a look for some varieties and I can not see this one listed anywhere.

1964 3d Doubling on the left hand side only from what I can see with it stopping at the second A of Australia




gnome

Well spotted :) and appreciate the sharing.

AussieSilver

nice coin NZ , so doubling on a coin is considered a variety ?
BazK

NZCoinerrors

Quote from: 'AussieSilver' pid='85301' dateline='1457272610'nice coin NZ , so doubling on a coin is considered a variety ?

It could be an interesting debate but it depends what type of double it is for some people.  The one I posted was most likely caused by a loose die and not an actual doubled die so this would make it less interesting.  However if it repeats itself on a number of coins  I think it is worth collecting.

gnome

Good answer, I believe it is a mdr also.  I believe they are in the varieties book, for eg, 1962 3d gets a mention as doubling on last A and 2 in date. 1963 3d is THREEPENCE doubled. Haven't looked at these but I am assuming they would be MDR examples. So in hindsight it should classify as an unreported example. Just my thoughts :)

AussieSilver

still an interesting coin NZ and worth collecting have a few myself but mainly decimal
BazK

gnome



This one seems to be a combination of 2 listings. Perth Y. d/c through Penny to rim to date.  The other one is d/c through Ppenny, toe, star, although the star looks to be a separate d/c, with another d/c rim towards the roo.

gnome

Another one I can't seem to find in the varieites book. 1925 6d.

Robster

\"Everything in moderation, including moderation\".

gnome

Thanks :) Does that kangaroo's ear look a bit closer to the I, as well.

Robster

I think it might be the shadow making it appear that way. :idea:
\"Everything in moderation, including moderation\".

gnome


ausjack

Nice one G. Plenty of cracks on that one and looks like the die was just about to shatter and a 3 legged emu as well :good:
A wise person knows there is something to learn from everyone.

gnome

Thanks, :) was pretty stoked  with it.