1953 large denticle florin

Started by nealeffendi, February 26, 2016, 11:38:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

nealeffendi

Drooling through the Strand Coins website the other day I noticed that he had the only large denticle variety florin that is in the PCGS population report. Now the blurb attached to the listing states that about 5% are that variety. Yet elsewhere I've read a figure closer to 1 in 5. So which is closer?
Also with over a hundred "small denticles" in the population report I have to wonder how many are mislabeled. I even purchased one today (27330407) in MS63 for under $40:yahoo: (the Strand coin is nicer at MS64+ but he wants 4 figures).
So when will PCGS get around to looking at the images of the coins they slabbed and reclassify them?

bellyflorin

I have a  1953 large  denticle variety  in  a older style PCGS holder MS63 , ha it cost me more than  $40  well done nealeffendi, i always  thought  it was more like  1 in 10 :scratch_one-s_head:

echidna


autocoupler

Fourteen years ago over a period of twelve months or so I purchased five 1953 florins, and one of them turned out to be the large denticle type. I guess I got lucky.
As we age we lose three things, one is our memory and arrrrr I\'ve forgotten the other two!

gnome

Think I purchased one not so long ago as well. In the last few months anyway, haven't had a chance to take a pic yet .

nealeffendi

Quote from: 'bellyflorin' pid='84916' dateline='1456452450'I have a  1953 large  denticle variety  in  a older style PCGS holder MS63 , ha it cost me more than  $40  well done nealeffendi, i always  thought  it was more like  1 in 10 :scratch_one-s_head:

So that is at least 2 of us waiting on PCGS. If yours is the old style green rattler then it might be better than mine.
So is there any technical reason they cannot spend an hour or 2 to get even an intern to check the stored images? (I hope they have stored the images). Then the QE2 Florin set could be expanded (not that any of us will beat Timbertop or Fenton).

gnome

Are these the large denticle reverses. Just rechecking.




nealeffendi

[/u]yes and they are both beauties

gnome


Unicorn

What are your thoughts on this one Neal?




nealeffendi

My coin arrived yesterday and it was interesting. It looks better than 63 and it has a large missing section due to lamination peel. Happy to have it and most surprised that the graders let the coin pass and not defect it. So did they downgrade it by a point for the fault?
Also purchased another one today in MS63 at a modest price.:yahoo:
Did some searching and found that Drake had one in 64 in its sold list and mentioned that he had seen 3 others in 64 and that they are 1 in 4.
Also saw one in a set registry at 64+ so high grades are out there.

Mister T

Quote from: 'Unicorn' pid='84968' dateline='1456547795'What are your thoughts on this one Neal?





I'm inclined to say yes but struck slightly off-centre.

Unicorn

Thanks Mr T, totally agree 6 o'clock looks yay, 12 o'clock looks nay.

Go the Yay! :laugh2:

It was part of my pre-decimated collection. (I think I may have sold it too cheap, but that's life eh).

autocoupler

As we age we lose three things, one is our memory and arrrrr I\'ve forgotten the other two!