Internet radio

Started by JeffH, November 11, 2015, 03:43:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

JeffH

I have never had much interest in streaming radio apart from setting up a few customers to be able to listen to John Laws when the local station dropped him some years ago -but they brought him back.

Lately I have been listening, in the vehicle, to the local Classic Gold broadcast. Very low power but excellent driving music. Obviously automated playlist -no announcers, minimal advertisements and a station promotion after every few songs.
No reception as soon as you depart the district -thank God for the ABC then. What rubbish the commercial stations mainly transmit.

So today I set up a freeware, streaming media player and now have great background music to noodle by. Forget Windows Media Player (pretty hopeless for that task) and my old favourite, Winamp, was discontinued years ago. Plenty of substitutes available.

I would be interested in hearing what radio stations you listen to (if you do).
Thinking is dangerous, it makes you think. That\'s why many people avoid it.

Splock

Quote from: 'JeffH' pid='81490' dateline='1447218805'I would be interested in hearing what radio stations you listen to (if you do).

SBS Chill is a real favourite of mine anytime, especially in the background.  I love ABC Jazz on in the kitchen when I'm cooking dinner. And PBS in Melbourne on a Saturday is excellent from Jazz in the morning through Latin to Soul. Lots of variety and the thing they all have in common is not a single blessed advert!
Numismatists Don\'t Fear Change


Triggersmob

Capital FM on top of Wireless Hill in Perth.
Plays a lot of old stuff.
http://tunein.com/radio/Capital-1017-Digital-s212091/
Steve

OFEC count = 258

JeffH

Well S.T., I clicked your link and, immediately, heard the start of Nat King Cole, Fascination. That's him twice in one day -Straighten up and Fly right in the car on the way home from shopping earlier.
And, no player required either.
Good stuff.
Thinking is dangerous, it makes you think. That\'s why many people avoid it.

Triggersmob

Glad you liked it Jeff.
A lot better than the modern crap they play now IMHO. :)
Steve

OFEC count = 258

interest

Hi Jeff
I only listened to digital radio but since moving to Port Macquarie
there is no digital radio at all.
So now I have to listen via my computer my favourite station is 2MMM classic rock. there are no adds no "disc jockeys" just music with the news about every hour.

Nevol

I don't listen to much radio at all now, but years ago my favourite station was 6124QR. Real music and easy to listen to.
A Platypus is a duck designed by a committee ( anon)

jrg_from_oz

Steve, I'm glad you highlighted FM101.7 Perth - what a gem! First track I heard was Perfidia, which is gold to a BB fan

John

Triggersmob

Quote from: 'jrg_from_oz' pid='81501' dateline='1447245813'Steve, I'm glad you highlighted FM101.7 Perth - what a gem! First track I heard was Perfidia, which is gold to a BB fan

John

I'm glad you like it John.
I really enjoy listening to this station. It's not perfect, sometimes interruptions and music that won't play, but I like it.
Steve

OFEC count = 258

Fulvio

My tastes are rather diverse, and my mp3 collection reflects that.

Radio wise, the car's set to 104.3, which gives me a good range of good music, and not too much ancillary crap.

When it comes to streaming though, I'm not a fan at all. Its great for listening to the radio comms for assorted emergency services, or at an event like Bathurst, but to play music (or worse, video)?

No way!

People need to understand that just like oil, water or any other resource, bandwidth is limited, and should not be wasted. And streaming something for which better and more efficient alternatives exist is a bit like running two tons of car down to the shops and leaving it idling for twenty minutes... we wouldn't dream of it now, but it was the done thing before people knew any better.

That's also why I don't do YouTube or FailBook vids. I'd much rather download something once and store (and share) it locally than re-download it each and every time I want to watch (or listen to) it.
http://fulvio55.altervista.org/ - Decimal Mintages and Polymer Notes PDFs
Doge: DG8r9JJnWCHVvd1iG4BJeJMj5g1reYTnSc - BTC: 1FFnNxMDNCnQEjHrh9EhnHZoDMjkbf1seW

Goose

Quote from: 'Triggersmob' pid='81493' dateline='1447230265'Capital FM on top of Wireless Hill in Perth.
Plays a lot of old stuff.
http://tunein.com/radio/Capital-1017-Digital-s212091/

Steve, I just clicked on the link you posted.......GREAT MUSIC. I listened for awhile and bookmarked it for when I read. Thanks..... finally some music where someone doesn't scream into a mike with unintelligible words.

Triggersmob

Glad you like it Cy.
I'll take you up to Wireless Hill next time you are in town. :)
Steve

OFEC count = 258