NZ Holiday

Started by Coiny Chris, May 13, 2015, 06:28:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Coiny Chris

Hello,

We were thinking about having a trip to NZ, both islands. What are peoples opinions on the price of lodging and food ? I have been looking at destinations and trying to plan a trip.
A rolling Coin gathers no change. C Chris

ausjack

Everyone's going on OS trips except for me :cray:

Hope you have fun Chris :good:
A wise person knows there is something to learn from everyone.

kiwiaus

Quote from: 'Coiny Chris' pid='72275' dateline='1431507517'Hello,

We were thinking about having a trip to NZ, both islands. What are peoples opinions on the price of lodging and food ? I have been looking at destinations and trying to plan a trip.
Hi, congrats, you will love it, depending if your a whole family or couple local pubs are great to stay in as a couple, Some of the larger towns pubs have motel units attached. Most Hotels / Motels are reasonably priced. Caravan parks over there are starting to grow and cater for the family's with kids, similar to the chains over here. Another great way to do it is in a camper/motorhome. Everything is close / short driving times and heaps of places to park up. Enjoy....:) Oh and food is to die for :)

Unicorn

Quote from: 'ausjack' pid='72282' dateline='1431513489'Everyone's going on OS trips except for me :cray:

Don't worry AJ, me too, Noah wouldn't even let us on the Ark! Just left us to play in the rain. Stupid gopherwood anyway.

Coiny Chris

Hello,

Thanks for the replies, we are both 50 +, no kids and like camping. The plan is several days each island, hire a car and stay in motels and / or camp. I would like to take the ferry between islands, and cross the mountains by train. I am looking forward to the scenic places and food. I have been in training for many months drinking NZ Lager...... My story ! I also hope to pick up many NZ Coins, I already have some but hope to get some of the nice $1 Coins in change.
A rolling Coin gathers no change. C Chris

ausjack

Quote from: 'Unicorn' pid='72312' dateline='1431571289'
Quote from: 'ausjack' pid='72282' dateline='1431513489'Everyone's going on OS trips except for me :cray:

Don't worry AJ, me too, Noah wouldn't even let us on the Ark! Just left us to play in the rain. Stupid gopherwood anyway.

yeah, stupid ark :dodgy:
Don't worry mate there'll always be, just the two of us :friends:

Quote from: 'Coiny Chris' pid='72324' dateline='1431595952'Hello,

Thanks for the replies, we are both 50 +, no kids and like camping. The plan is several days each island, hire a car and stay in motels and / or camp. I would like to take the ferry between islands, and cross the mountains by train. I am looking forward to the scenic places and food. I have been in training for many months drinking NZ Lager...... My story ! I also hope to pick up many NZ Coins, I already have some but hope to get some of the nice $1 Coins in change.

What kiwi coins do you need Chris :)
A wise person knows there is something to learn from everyone.

kiwiaus

east or west coast roads are best on north island ( Scenery wise ) and west coast on the south, mountains meet the ocean. :) 2 weeks each island would cover most of it. arthurs pass is awesome by rail. The day trip to greymouth is well worth it. My fav. on the north island is the east coast road.But there all great in there own way, Down the middle you get to see taupo, the mountain etc. West coast just as good mount taranaki ( egmomt ) area is awesome. Just remember off the main roads morning and evening dairy cows in most places on the roads and the elusive baaaa lamb :)

Pedro

Have spent some time in New Plymouth - a very pleasant part of the world.

Pedro

Triggersmob

Quote from: 'kiwiaus' pid='72353' dateline='1431608245'arthurs pass is awesome by rail. The day trip to greymouth is well worth it.

We did the rail trip from Arthur's Pass a few months ago and yes, it was awesome. A bit dry when we were there, hopefully if you go, there will be more water.

Steve

OFEC count = 258

Coiny Chris

Hello,

I was thinking of doing a figure 8 trip through both islands, after writing out a list of what I / we want to see. Always room for anything that looks interesting. I always have flexible plans. AJ, I don't need any Coins, but would like to get some $1 dollar Coins from change as souvenirs. I havn't researched it, but I think they do a different one each year. Maybe some silver ones, unless they are cheaper here.
A rolling Coin gathers no change. C Chris

ausjack

I don't think I'll ever stop sorting coins and done a bit the other day and I was quite surprised at how many coins I have that I'd forgotten and the amount of kiwi stuff I've found is unreal so I can lend you over $100 in coin and about $50 in notes..or maybe a bit more :)
A wise person knows there is something to learn from everyone.

Goldseeker

Be careful with the kiwi coins.   there 1, 2, 5 and 10c have all been demonitized and all the other 10, 20 and 50c coins have been reduced in size.

Kiwi shops/banks will not accept the old currency any more and that's one reason that one can find many kiwi 20c in bags of Aussie coins.
Message rec\'d from Jens Coins 18 Jul 23: 
Bruce Mansfield passed away today 18 Jul 2023 – Acute Myeloid Leukemia


ausjack

Gee that's funny their banks don't take them but I get them all GS, not so much 1's and 2's any more but the 5, 10, 20 50 in both big and small and have about 9 $1 and 5 $2 that have been found here.
A wise person knows there is something to learn from everyone.

robbiegal

my coin dealer has always advised to use KIWI coins in the parking metres here as they all have the same weight as the aussie coins
and yep - that is what I do with mine

Pedro

Now that is a very clever way to deal with the issue RG!

Pedro