what are your "coin buying justification rules"

Started by Russ e, December 08, 2012, 10:43:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Russ e

been rethinking how i decide to buy coins, for a while it has been ad-hock how i buy.
this is what im thinking of using for a standard.
1, low mintage, error, or just eye appeal
2, for silver as close to spot or below if possible, though nclt i will pay extra for, if the coin meets rule 1 or it is one that appeals to us or fits with other coins in our small nclt collection
3, whats the most i would pay for it, whats the least i would sell it for.
4, what is the market value right now and a couple of months back
5, the most important, will it affect the house budget.

last 18 months has been pretty good to us money wise and i spent a couple of $k, sold at almost a $k worth and still have the better part of what i brought, but the next 12 months may see more selling than buying :( so value in buying will be a priority for us now. any major purchase will have to be paid for with coins sold and i really hate parting with any of them, even the worst.
giving up this forum after secret santa, what with all my meds playing games with my head these messages i see between page loadings do not help one little bit when i am on a downer. no offense to anyone but seeing those words written every stuffin time does get to me.

Goldseeker

I buy what I want to maintain my proof and mint sets.   I will then try ansd buy an investment coin as funds become available.
Message rec\'d from Jens Coins 18 Jul 23: 
Bruce Mansfield passed away today 18 Jul 2023 – Acute Myeloid Leukemia


Mister T

For me it's if it has eye appeal/is a nice grade and isn't over-priced. If I can afford it too but I tend not to look for coins if I know I won't be able to afford it.

Australian coin

I just use the knowledge from what I know about previous coins from the same series.
Knowing the coin subject and prices is a must.

Obviously if something is cheap I will go for that too.

I have my favourite coins that I buy into every release, low mintages is also a nice selling point too.

Errors aren’t so much my thing, sometime there “unique” ones that are interesting, other are a dime a dozen.

It all depends on what you like and if you are buying to re-sell

trout

I always hunt through eBay for nice Canberra and 51/54 florins simply because I like the designs and they are becoming harder to get in good grades at reasonable prices.
I am doing my best to fill in the gaps of the decimal NCLT coins (It's doing my head in) but I will get there eventually.

I don't by coins with a view of re-selling them.
I may give some away or sell some that I don't really need/like , 99%
of the time I get selfish and just add them to my collection :good:

I do buy silver coins that look "interesting" at spot, simply to noodle through them and "Hopefully" find a gem or two.

As far as the budget goes I allow myself $500 a month in "New" money (What I can bear to part with on eBay supplements that budget every now and then).

As far as having a strategy for buying coins I haven’t got one.

I will always buy coins I want /need without regard (most of the time) to their Investment potential.

I am simply a “Numismatic Fanatic” and coins are my drug of choice and I NEED a coin hit every now and then.
I may need therapy but I would rather spend my quids on coins than shrinks
:wavemulticolor::yahoo::dance2:
Aim well to enjoy life. You only get One shot at it.
Illegitimi non carborundum

Sapyx

As a one-from-every-country collector, my purchasing priority list is quite different.

1. Do I need that country?
2. Do I need that particular monarch, government, calendar, or region/mintmark?
3. Does it fit in with any of my minor collecting themes (maps, coats of arms, flags, etc)
4. Does it have any other attractive/aesthetically pleasing design?
5. Do I need that particular denomination/date/mintmark combination?

If the answer to any of these questions is "yes", I want the coin and will consider buying it; the amount I'd consider paying for it depends on how far up the list the "yes" lies - I'll happily pay much more for a coin from a country I don't have yet, than for a coin I already have a very similar example of, only with a different date/mintmark.

Most of the time, I neither know nor care about the mintage, rarity, bullion value or catalogue value of the pieces I'm thinking of buying. They only affect me to the extent of the impact they have on the asking price.
Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.
    Roman emperor Marcus Aurelius, \"Meditations\"

MobOfRoos

I am always justifying the money I spend on coins and notes by regarding them as an "investment" rather than an "expense".

However, you could count on one hand the number I have bought purely for their investment potential. I enjoy watching my collection appreciate in value over time but I'm not in it to make a quick buck.

As long as it fits in my collecting theme (which broadly speaking is circulation notes and coins) and is the highest grade I can afford (and I dont already have one of better quality) I will buy it.

markn

1. Do I want it.
2. Do I have the money for it.
3. Can I keep it secret from PPH.
Founder: Australian Coin Forum
The Australian Coin Collecting Blog

robbiegal

Quote from: 'markn' pid='4500' dateline='1355015682'1. Do I want it.
2. Do I have the money for it.
3. Can I keep it secret from PPH.

:yahoo: