Notgeld

Started by Bigfellani5, December 06, 2012, 09:37:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

Bigfellani5

Does anyone here know much about German notgeld?

Russ e

Notgeld (German for "emergency money" or "necessity money" ; "monnaie de nécessité" in French) is the name of money issued by an institution not authorized for money emission. This occurs usually when money is not available from the central bank. The best known emergency money emissions occurred in Germany and Austria around the end of the First World War, which is why the German term is used. Issuing institutions could be e.g. town savings banks, municipalities, private and state-owned firms. It was therefore not legal tender, but rather a mutually-accepted means of payment in a particular locale or site. Notgeld is different from occupation money that is issued by an occupying army during a war.
Notgeld was mainly issued in the form of (paper) banknotes. Sometimes other forms were used, as well: coins, leather, silk, linen, stamps, aluminium foil, coal, and porcelain; there are also reports of elemental sulfur being used, as well as all sorts of re-used paper and carton material (e.g. playing cards). These pieces made from playing cards are extremely rare and are known as Spielkarten, the German word for "playing card".
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Notgeld



During and after the First World War, money, especially small change, was in short supply. Metal was being used in the war efforts and people's natural tendancy to hold onto something of value, (ie) coins and banknotes, furthered the shortage. Eventually to get over this problem, the state bank (Reichbank) appears to have agreed to allow towns, villages and municipalities to issue their own money. These issues were emergency issues. The word not means emergency or necessity and geld means money. These highly collectable, interesting old banknotes, with their different colourful motives and designs, can usually be found at flea markets etc. and will fascinate the collectors out there!! Notgeld was issued by several countries, but this website is primarily interested in the notgeld issues of Germany.
http://www.notgeld.com/intro/what-is-notgeld
giving up this forum after secret santa, what with all my meds playing games with my head these messages i see between page loadings do not help one little bit when i am on a downer. no offense to anyone but seeing those words written every stuffin time does get to me.

Splock

Quote from: 'Bigfellani5' pid='4391' dateline='1354792074'Does anyone here know much about German notgeld?

I know a couple of members of the Numismatic Association of Victoria who know a fair amount. Are you looking to identify something?
Numismatists Don\'t Fear Change


Bigfellani5

Quote from: 'Splock' pid='4399' dateline='1354831645'
Quote from: 'Bigfellani5' pid='4391' dateline='1354792074'Does anyone here know much about German notgeld?

I know a couple of members of the Numismatic Association of Victoria who know a fair amount. Are you looking to identify something?


Pretty well much.....I collect world notes and have about 10000 or so. I also have a couple of thousand notgeld notes. I have a set I cant identify from my catalogues. I was after a band and catalogue number.




Splock

Will see what I can do.
Numismatists Don\'t Fear Change


Triggersmob

While we are on the subject of Notgeld, I have never owned any of these previously, but I have a few Austrian Notgeld on their way to me now.
Can anyone please give me any info on these...

[attachment=606]
[attachment=607]
[attachment=608]

The reverse side.
[attachment=609]

Thanks :)
Steve

OFEC count = 258

Bigfellani5

Quote from: 'Triggersmob' pid='4473' dateline='1354960802'While we are on the subject of Notgeld, I have never owned any of these previously, but I have a few Austrian Notgeld on their way to me now.
Can anyone please give me any info on these...





The reverse side.


Thanks :)

Hi Steve

I have a few Austrian notgeld but no decent catalogue. The only catalogue I have is by coffin and it is pretty crap.this book does a poor job at covering world emergency issues and notgeld and has very few pictures. I know there are a few Austrian notgeld books in German but as to how good they are I don't know as I have not seen them. I wish I could help.

Splock

So I've had feedback from someone who knows a little more about these things on the first lot if images:

QuoteIt’s a little hard to read as the photo is not quite in focus, however they appear to be from either Herzberg / Harz in Hannover or from Herzberg / Elster in Provinz Sachsen.  The name of the town is in the bottom left corner above the date (24 July 1920) and to determine which one it is, we would need to know the word (or abbreviation) after Herzberg.  The title of the signatory (at bottom right) is “Der Kreisausschuss“ which translates “of the District Community”.
 
I have taken the town information from Coffing,  A Guide and Checklist of World Notgeld, 1914 â€" 1947; this lists the towns (for each country) that issued Notgeld, but doesn’t give any details (let alone catalogue numbers).  Unfortunately, I don’t have a catalogue covering the 1920 issues.
 
I hope this is of some help.
Numismatists Don\'t Fear Change


Bigfellani5

I think I may have worked it out. Band 6 s63? Would your mate concur?

Splock

Quote from: 'Bigfellani5' pid='4520' dateline='1355050801'I think I may have worked it out. Band 6 s63? Would your mate concur?

PM Sent
Numismatists Don\'t Fear Change