Fair Dinkum

Started by trout, December 13, 2014, 09:43:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

trout

WTF is happening to this site?
This used to be the only place that "Dinkum" Aussie collectors had that could share their ideas and views with a sense of community and sharing :yahoo:
We have lost  quite a few interesting and educated members so far,
Where does it stop?
Aim well to enjoy life. You only get One shot at it.
Illegitimi non carborundum

Cooper S

I'm with you trout we are going down hill
\"Its only worth how much you want it.\"

keldaw

yes jim , that is what I said a couple of months ago when I spoke
about the big guns ,I did not mean to offend any body by a personal attack , but , the talk seems to be only about mostly perfectly
graded coins now , and not about the average every day coins that
most of us have , and are interested in , like errors and hard to find coins , ,it is easy to see by the numbers of post that are put up every day now . I am sorry to see this happing but the truth is in the pudding , I read all post all day every day , never miss one , and even when I go for my treatment every Tuesday , I come straight home and read them before my sickness time starts about 6 pm and last till the end of the next day .I just love the forum . come on everybody start posting again , after all
                IT IS CHRISTMAS TIME AGAIN
    MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERY BODY
take care because we care ..

stevo1962

I suppose people will generally only talk about what they are interested in and unfortunately not
everyone is interested what someone has just noodled in their change or what's growing
in the garden but each to their own.I have found that some members this forum have migrated
to facebook as there are specialised chat and buy/sell pages where they can interact with people who
have the same interests
It\'s not about who you know it\'s about what you know

Triggersmob

Although not many people are posting, there is still a few members visiting the site every day. I just checked and there were 73 members that logged on in the past 2 days.
Personally, I am more into world coins than Aussie coins, so there is not a lot I can contribute to the discussions, but I do read most of them.
Mind you, I'm not expert on world coins either.
I would like to see more threads about world coins, so this site could become an "Aussie" coin forum, not an "Aussie coin" forum.

Just my 2 Centavos worth. :)
Steve

OFEC count = 258

Coiny Chris

Hello,

I got a Cap. Cook 50 cent in change last week. And I found a Euro Coin in a KBD the other day. Does that balance things a little ?
A rolling Coin gathers no change. C Chris

ausproofs

I am a new comer here... I started collecting coins just over a year ago... As one of the posters pointed out each person is different.. I collect only graded coins or high end raw coins that I can use as a investment as well as a hobby.... I love to be part of a community that doesn't dictate what I can and can't talk about as long as I am participating in a civilised manner... To be honest I can not see an issue .. May be I don't see the full picture ?
Collecting coins is not about having the best, but loving what you have ...

Coiny Chris

Hello,

Everyone is different in what they want, as a newcomer here I felt welcome, and no pressure to conform a certain way. Many collectors are older, and some will " fall of the perch " to use a term of phrase. It is good that there are some youngsters coming along. A workmate of mine has taken an interest, and I did a group buy of the green $2. This has made friends from a group of people that didn't mingle much, and we have swapped a few Coins to complete sets. Even if we chat a little at work, it has to be a good thing for morale. Being a smaller Forum, it has more of a Community feel to it which I don't think a bigger Forum would have. My view here.
A rolling Coin gathers no change. C Chris

Goose

Coin talk eh? Drove 140 miles (235 km) round trip to attend a coin show today. Last week it was 160 miles R T (265 km) to a coin show. Today I picked up a 1943 VF Australian shilling for U S $6 ($7 Aussie-?). I also picked up a U S 2014 silver proof set which includes 4 presidential dollars - (base metals), 5 quarters - 90% silver, and a 1c, 5c, 10c, and 50 c with the 10c & 50c being 90% silver. It also included a Sacagawea $1 - (base metals). I paid U S $51 for the set which has $22+ worth of silver in the set. Next week? Maybe another trip to another coin show.

keldaw

HI GOOSE , why not ask here on the forum for what you want firstly
 then if no reply go for a drive , but if the forum guys can supply , then that will save you a long trip , but still in all you might go for the drive and enjoy the whole show , and that is good , because you might just come across something you had no intention of buying until you saw it at the show .. if you get what you want that is all that matters .. merry Christmas to you and your family ..     ,, kel ,,
take care because we care ..

Triggersmob

Quote from: 'keldaw' pid='63672' dateline='1418537362'HI GOOSE , why not ask here on the forum for what you want firstly
 then if no reply go for a drive , but if the forum guys can supply , then that will save you a long trip , but still in all you might go for the drive and enjoy the whole show , and that is good , because you might just come across something you had no intention of buying until you saw it at the show .. if you get what you want that is all that matters .. merry Christmas to you and your family ..     ,, kel ,,

One of Goose's other favourite pastimes is driving. He loves to drive and drag people off at the traffic lights. :)
Steve

OFEC count = 258

trout

My closest round trip to a coin show is about 900k and I would do it in a heartbeat  :yahoo:
Aim well to enjoy life. You only get One shot at it.
Illegitimi non carborundum

Australian coin

take me with you :heart:

robbiegal

I like this forum
and i do feel the pcgs pressure - a little bit like , if you're not paying a fortune to get your coins slabbed or buying them slabbed, then you're not really a coin collector
but it is down to what people like to collect & i do prefer (or more so, can afford) my 'raw' coins
i have some slabbed coins but i have one album with just a few pages of them
i am also more an aussie  pre-dec collector, not really a decimal or PNC collector
it is a forum with many different members with different interests
& I'm happy to stay here - got nowhere else that 's better to go to anyways  ......
and as the old saying goes

triplewitch

I like going to the quarter launches.  Next year I'm going to Louisiana and Delaware.  In 2016 I'm planning to attend them all.  My collecting days are winding down.  I usually buy modern coins directly from the mints or from a long time dealer that I trust.  I'm not interested in slabs or making a profit.  The group occasionally gets too technical for me, and sometimes I lose interest for short periods.  I don't like to see any group members ridiculed for what people consider dumb things to say.  If people are doing that to veteran posters, new people are not likely to join in a conversation.  By and large I've been in three groups now, this one and the two prior, with most of you and consider many of you old friends.  I accept that people think differently about some things than I do.
-John