What do you enjoy about numismatics?

Started by dcoin, December 05, 2014, 08:35:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

dcoin

A question which is often asked, I was just wondering what areas people are interested in, what got you started with collecting, why do you collect numismatic items, is it the thrill of the hunt, to preserve history, for financial reasons, etc.

serial

is it the thrill of the hunt, to preserve history, for financial reasons
all of these

Triggersmob

I'm just out to try and collect one of every circulated coin, of every denomination, from every year, from every mint. i know I will never complete this, but I have fun trying. I also enjoy the coin forums and meeting nice people, like you lot.  :)
Steve

OFEC count = 258

ausproofs

For me here are the answers..

What got me started - I was very sick for awhile,had nothing to do so decided to search ebay for collectable items. Came across coins and decided to collect....

What do I collect - all most anything, predominantly Australian pre decimal including proofs, any old world coins

Why do I do it - just to kill time and get my mind out of work.... something to lookforward to everyday.. may be oneday my kids can make some cash out of my collection...
Collecting coins is not about having the best, but loving what you have ...

kchan1111

The history. I find it astonishing that for a few hundred bucks you can own something that is hundreds and even thousands of years old!

There are not that many hobbies that could also be financially rewarding at the same time.

They are also very pretty.

Sapyx

A question often asked, indeed, and my answer often goes along these lines...

I'm interested in numismatics for the history. Coins are one of the few inventions of antiquity that are still around and still used much as their original inventors used them. Take a typical ancient Greek or Roman citizen and bring them forward in time thousands of years, to today. They'd be bewildered by most of what they saw around them - cars, electric lights, guns, aircraft, the Internet, etc - but show them a modern coin and they would at once know exactly what it was, what it was for and how you were supposed to use it.

Think about it - a 2,500 year long history of more or less continuous use. A coin collection that covers that entire period can demonstrate that continuum, and can do so for a very reasonable cost.
Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.
    Roman emperor Marcus Aurelius, \"Meditations\"

Nightparrot

Quote from: 'Sapyx' pid='63324' dateline='1417782354'A question often asked, indeed, and my answer often goes along these lines...

I'm interested in numismatics for the history. Coins are one of the few inventions of antiquity that are still around and still used much as their original inventors used them. Take a typical ancient Greek or Roman citizen and bring them forward in time thousands of years, to today. They'd be bewildered by most of what they saw around them - cars, electric lights, guns, aircraft, the Internet, etc - but show them a modern coin and they would at once know exactly what it was, what it was for and how you were supposed to use it.

Think about it - a 2,500 year long history of more or less continuous use. A coin collection that covers that entire period can demonstrate that continuum, and can do so for a very reasonable cost.

Great answer....

Goldseeker

For it's history, stories and resale value.   Oh, and the hunt for something scarce.
Message rec\'d from Jens Coins 18 Jul 23: 
Bruce Mansfield passed away today 18 Jul 2023 – Acute Myeloid Leukemia


trout

For Me the most enjoyable part of numismatics is learning as you go and gaining knowledge.
Before I joined CCF and later joined this site I was "On my own" and had a very blinkered concept as far as numismatics was concerned.
I think that I have "Evolved" as a collector and now have much more confidence and expertise than I did 4 years ago thanks to the guidance of Many members from both sites :good:
So to answer the OP's original question;
I enjoy every aspect of Numismatics :yahoo:
Aim well to enjoy life. You only get One shot at it.
Illegitimi non carborundum

oh my florin

My most enjoyable part of numismatics is being able to connect with the history of a coin particularly when it coincides with ones national history too as well as being able to hold something so special and unique. In short preserving history but being able to appreciate it at the same time.

Truly Numismatics is great

Goose

I relate coin collecting to obtaining a coin and relating it to something that happened AFTER the date of the coin, such as a 1901 coin being minted before the first airplane flight (1903) or WW I (1914...1917 for the U S). Even coins in the '30s, '40s, and '50s relate to the '30s--Worldwide depression, '40s--WWII, and the '50s--Moon landing. Then of course there is a 246-221 BC coin I found metal detecting which was before almost everything man knows today.

Cooper S

I think the most rewarding part of collecting is meeting new people and appreciating the amount of time yet have for me. I've met a lot of ilder dealers that have taught me all there is to know about collecting

I originally started because me grandfather took the time to show me his collection of predecimal coins. I was absolutely fascinated and ever since had a love for it. He's given me coins I've given him coins. I have so much time for him and will continue to collect the way he did when he was a kid!!
\"Its only worth how much you want it.\"