Toning/Patina?

Started by sirfry, November 13, 2012, 09:56:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

sirfry

Hi all, first post here, glad to be apart of the forum!

Was wondering your thoughts on patina and toning. I was given this 1986 mint set the other week and it struck me as odd. Some of the coins have a bronze like colour and some have an almost gold like appearance. I'm not a hugely experienced numismatist so your thoughts would be appreciated.

Cheers





accumulator

Hi Sirfry, I think you'll find it is the plastic in the set thats giving the coins the yellowie Gold appearance,very common in the 80's.

sirfry

Quote from: 'accumulator' pid='3050' dateline='1352763751'Hi Sirfry, I think you'll find it is the plastic in the set thats giving the coins the yellowie Gold appearance,very common in the 80's.

Oh ok thanks! is there some way I can check that without opening the set? probably not I'm guessing

trout

It looks like the plastic is breaking down.
Often this gives the coins inside a golden colour.
Not sure if this is damage but they look nice, Not the green nasty PVC damage but a nice mild gold tint.

I always remove my coins I need from mint packs :good:
Aim well to enjoy life. You only get One shot at it.
Illegitimi non carborundum

Graham

Welcome to the forum Sirfry

sirfry

Thanks Graham. Glad to be here!

trout

How ignorant of me
:welcome: sirfry
:wavemulticolor:
Aim well to enjoy life. You only get One shot at it.
Illegitimi non carborundum

sirfry


Australian coin

:welcome:
he he, love your avatar, very imaginative.
It’s a brass razoo!

sirfry


AaronG

Welcomeeee!

:wavemulticolor:

sirfry

Does anyone have any examples of some interesting toning or patina then?

accumulator

A few for your viewing pleasure.




half moon tonig.



Rainbow





Maybe if we ask the purple penny hunter very nicely,she may put up some of her exquisite purple pennies.

sirfry


trout

That 1961 half penny is stunning :good:
Fantastic pic's mate:yahoo:
Aim well to enjoy life. You only get One shot at it.
Illegitimi non carborundum