prices on 5c coins

Started by lacey, July 08, 2013, 11:21:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

lacey

why is a 1985 coin worth $35
but
the 1986 5c is only worth $8

Both are mint set only coins

Fulvio

http://www.aussie-coins.com/Coins2.htm
"In 1985, the 5 cent coin was not issued for circulation creating a run on mint and proof sets of that year - the only source of the coin. The days of building a complete collection from shiny new coins obtained from the local bank branch were gone. It would not be until 1993 (long after 1c and 2c coins had left the stage) that all circulating coins would be issued in the same year - even then, the 20 cent mintage was only 1.5 million coins and the 50 cent not many more.

By 1986, demand for new circulation coins within Australia had dropped to zero. Earlier year's production runs, combined with the huge amount of coinage already in circulation proved more than capable of meeting economic demand. As a result, only 1986 Peace Dollars were minted in quantity. The six lower denomination coins (1, 2, 5, 10, 20 and 50 cent) were released only in mint and proof sets. Unlike the previous year, collectors were aware of the situation and took steps to secure their requirements early. As a result, the collector sets of 1986 have not appreciated in value to the same extent as the 1985 issue."
http://fulvio55.altervista.org/ - Decimal Mintages and Polymer Notes PDFs
Doge: DG8r9JJnWCHVvd1iG4BJeJMj5g1reYTnSc - BTC: 1FFnNxMDNCnQEjHrh9EhnHZoDMjkbf1seW

Greg McDonald

Quote from: 'Fulvio' pid='20736' dateline='1373276170'http://www.aussie-coins.com/Coins2.htm
"In 1985, the 5 cent coin was not issued for circulation creating a run on mint and proof sets of that year - the only source of the coin. The days of building a complete collection from shiny new coins obtained from the local bank branch were gone. It would not be until 1993 (long after 1c and 2c coins had left the stage) that all circulating coins would be issued in the same year - even then, the 20 cent mintage was only 1.5 million coins and the 50 cent not many more.

By 1986, demand for new circulation coins within Australia had dropped to zero. Earlier year's production runs, combined with the huge amount of coinage already in circulation proved more than capable of meeting economic demand. As a result, only 1986 Peace Dollars were minted in quantity. The six lower denomination coins (1, 2, 5, 10, 20 and 50 cent) were released only in mint and proof sets. Unlike the previous year, collectors were aware of the situation and took steps to secure their requirements early. As a result, the collector sets of 1986 have not appreciated in value to the same extent as the 1985 issue."


Hi Fulvio,

What a great answer to the question about the 1985 v the 1986 five cent piece.  Couldn't have explained it any better myself. I was actually wondering if you'd allow me to include your explanation as a footnote in the 21st edition of the pocketbook I am currently working on.  Look forward to hearing from you.

Regards
Greg

ausjack

:laugh2: what can I say :dash1: I'll be back, just see what else is said first :winkextra:

it's just so hard trying to be good sometimes :mocking:
A wise person knows there is something to learn from everyone.

Fulvio

Quote from: 'Greg McDonald' pid='20868' dateline='1373396459'I was actually wondering if you'd allow me to include your explanation as a footnote in the 21st edition of the pocketbook I am currently working on.

Permission is not mine to give, Greg. Its a quote from the linked website. You should ask the author. I'm sure he'd be quite pleased to have you quote him. I know I would be. :)
http://fulvio55.altervista.org/ - Decimal Mintages and Polymer Notes PDFs
Doge: DG8r9JJnWCHVvd1iG4BJeJMj5g1reYTnSc - BTC: 1FFnNxMDNCnQEjHrh9EhnHZoDMjkbf1seW

Nevol

Quote from: 'Fulvio' pid='20910' dateline='1373439279'
Quote from: 'Greg McDonald' pid='20868' dateline='1373396459'I was actually wondering if you'd allow me to include your explanation as a footnote in the 21st edition of the pocketbook I am currently working on.
Permission is not mine to give, Greg. Its a quote from the linked website. You should ask the author. I'm sure he'd be quite pleased to have you quote him. I know I would be. :)
The author of that site is a member here, so it shouldn't be too long before he reads this and replies. I'll send him a PM and a link to this discussion. :angel:
A Platypus is a duck designed by a committee ( anon)

rggoodie

Feel free to use anything on my site anything there has been cleared with the original authors or I have created it myself.
\"catch em doing something right\"

lacey

Well do i get any credit for asking the question?  

Still I'm not absolutely sure about the answer. The coins were still only available in mints set in 1986
and only 10,000 sets more than '85.

yes yes, I know I have old timers!

Fulvio

Quote from: 'lacey' pid='21547' dateline='1373859453'Well do i get any credit for asking the question?  

Certainly! We'll be most happy to credit you with 5ยข. Just forward your bank details to our bank in Nigeria, and allow six weeks for processing. :dodgy:

Quote from: 'lacey' pid='21547' dateline='1373859453'Still I'm not absolutely sure about the answer. The coins were still only available in mints set in 1986
and only 10,000 sets more than '85.

The trouble is it all comes down to demand. Demand at the time, which sets initial prices, and demand today, which is based on those prices. While there may not be much difference in mintage, there is clearly a big difference in the number of collectors seeking them.

And THAT sets the price, not how many exist.
http://fulvio55.altervista.org/ - Decimal Mintages and Polymer Notes PDFs
Doge: DG8r9JJnWCHVvd1iG4BJeJMj5g1reYTnSc - BTC: 1FFnNxMDNCnQEjHrh9EhnHZoDMjkbf1seW

trout

QuoteThe trouble is it all comes down to demand. Demand at the time, which sets initial prices, and demand today, which is based on those prices. While there may not be much difference in mintage, there is clearly a big difference in the number of collectors seeking them.

 And THAT sets the price, not how many exist.
I don't know Mate but I recon the "Granny Bait: 1oz Black caviar silver coin will end up a burst bubble and in 5-10 years time you will be able to pick it up for under issue price :ok:
Aim well to enjoy life. You only get One shot at it.
Illegitimi non carborundum

Fulvio

Quote from: 'trout' pid='21596' dateline='1373883138'"Granny Bait: 1oz Black caviar silver coin will end up a burst bubble

What, you mean it isn't already???? I passed on it several times in favour of better goodies. :)
http://fulvio55.altervista.org/ - Decimal Mintages and Polymer Notes PDFs
Doge: DG8r9JJnWCHVvd1iG4BJeJMj5g1reYTnSc - BTC: 1FFnNxMDNCnQEjHrh9EhnHZoDMjkbf1seW

trout

Quote from: 'Fulvio' pid='21608' dateline='1373887600'
Quote from: 'trout' pid='21596' dateline='1373883138'"Granny Bait: 1oz Black caviar silver coin will end up a burst bubble

What, you mean it isn't already???? I passed on it several times in favour of better goodies. :)

That is the drama with what we do Mate.
There are always better goodies :angel:
do do de do de dum dum :laugh2:
Aim well to enjoy life. You only get One shot at it.
Illegitimi non carborundum