Next Maccas Book

Started by Bigfellani5, October 04, 2012, 04:27:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

ausjack

I've been lookin and found this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Third_Party_Grader so is it all because the yanks started it in 72 from what I could gather but we all know how much we can trust the net, I'm just curious as I doubt I'll ever own one :)
A wise person knows there is something to learn from everyone.

wwwww

Quote from: 'ausjack' pid='5395' dateline='1356836819'Posted by wwwww - Today 01:45 PM
PCGS IS the Australian standard because it is what most collectors use.

I know this is a silly question but why?? I'm serious as I don't know much about slabs and never seen one except in post or ebay etc and it just seems a personal opinion as to what they use as some people say PCGS but then other say NGC ICG ANACS etc so it's all very confusing sorry

NGC and the others are used to a lesser extent in Australia, PCGS is by far the dominant service.

Quote from: 'trout' pid='5396' dateline='1356836968'PCGS IS the Australian standard because it is what most collectors use.

I will have to agree to disagree with you on this Walter.
The Adjectival grading system is STILL used in most cases by Australian "Collectors"

PCGS isn't a grading system it is a multinational grading Company that uses the Sheldon System.

This system has been adopted mainly by "Dealers" NOT "Collectors" in Australia and in MHO is being forced down our collective throats.

Most Australian collectors (at least for gold and pre-decimal) use PCGS, this is easily demonstrated by the prices realised for both raw coins and certified coins at public auction.

It isn't dealers who are forcing collectors to adopt PCGS, it's collectors who are forcing dealers to adopt. Pacific Rim Coins was the only dealer who originally sold PCGS graded coins - other dealers switched over because it is what collectors wanted.

robbiegal

Dealers are businessmen and women
If they don't adapt to market forces they go broke , just like any other business does. The market has choices available and customers do the talking with their wallets
I now have an 'android' tablet - a galaxy (samsung brand) my friends have Ipads - consumer choices at work.

I am in the middle of the road about slabs - have some but also have far more raw coins than slabs but having been stung a few too many times with overgraded raw coins from ANDA sellers, I definately see the benefits of the PCGS grading system. Additionally, i like the chances that the genuine classification is there. With all of the dodgey sellers on mediums like ebay - how can you be sure that your 1934/5 florin is genuine? I know that there are fake slabs too but at least it helps to level the playing field.

enworb

QuoteIt isn't dealers who are forcing collectors to adopt PCGS, it's collectors who are forcing dealers to adopt.

I agree completely. Dealers would not stock slabbed coins if they could not sell it. The fact that slabbed coins do sell shows that they are what the market wants. Agree or disagree with the principal of slabbing but theres no denying where the market is heading.

purplepennyhunter

Welcome Greg to our forum.
Co-Founder Australian Coin Forum

trout

Quote from: 'purplepennyhunter' pid='5456' dateline='1356934215'Welcome Greg to our forum.

Wow:yahoo:

Welcome Greg
:wavemulticolor:
Aim well to enjoy life. You only get One shot at it.
Illegitimi non carborundum

Steveqld

Quote from: 'purplepennyhunter' pid='5456' dateline='1356934215'Welcome Greg to our forum.

The topic of grading seems to have taken over the thread.  In a previous life the forum started a thread "corrections for the ??th McDonalds" after the release of a new edition to help with the next edition.  Haven't seen one here yet and just wondering if we were going to continue the tradition.

trout

Quote from: 'Steveqld' pid='5459' dateline='1356935720'
Quote from: 'purplepennyhunter' pid='5456' dateline='1356934215'Welcome Greg to our forum.

The topic of grading seems to have taken over the thread.  In a previous life the forum started a thread "corrections for the ??th McDonalds" after the release of a new edition to help with the next edition.  Haven't seen one here yet and just wondering if we were going to continue the tradition.

I haven't recived my new book yet, Hopefully it will be at my post office when I came back from this job :yahoo:
Aim well to enjoy life. You only get One shot at it.
Illegitimi non carborundum

Fr45h3R

Welcome Greg.
Looking forward to your input.

trout

I think Greg would have had a quiet chuckle to himself reading this thread, Considering His books and Rennics still use the ANDA grading system:yahoo:
Good on you Greg:yahoo:
A great Aussie book for Aussies.
i realy enjoy the NCLT section in these books :good:
Aim well to enjoy life. You only get One shot at it.
Illegitimi non carborundum

markn

Founder: Australian Coin Forum
The Australian Coin Collecting Blog

markn

Oh and on page 244 2011 International Year of the Volunteer PNC image is lifted directly from our blog article as is the image of the 2012 Australian Open PNC on page 245.  You can still see the top of our copyright watermark on the lower right of both images.

2011 Remembrance PNC at top of page 244 is our image too.  As is the image of the Presidents Cup PNC below it.
Founder: Australian Coin Forum
The Australian Coin Collecting Blog

ausjack

A wise person knows there is something to learn from everyone.

bellyflorin

well that's worth a few free copies for you mark :mafia:

enworb

I take it no permission was asked for?

I also see Purple penny hunter got a thanks at the start of the book at least.