1981 three and a half claw 20

Started by gregk, October 01, 2012, 06:24:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

gregk

Just wondering if anyone knows if any of the these Canadian minted 20s would have ended up in mint rolls.  Thanks

Nevol

Quote from: 'gregk' pid='1058' dateline='1349038443'Just wondering if anyone knows if any of the these Canadian minted 20s would have ended up in mint rolls.  Thanks

:welcome:
I'm pretty sure they've been discussed on another forum and I think there was a link to a roll on Ebay, but can't remember when it was.  Someone is sure to know. :winkextra:
A Platypus is a duck designed by a committee ( anon)

Mister T


eccentric

As these coins were minted in Canada, they were transported in bulk to Australia.  The RAM only rolled coins they minted, so the Canadian coins were rolled by the Reserve Bank.  For this reason you will not find a 3 1/2 claw in any RAM roll.  It may be that some of the other commercial banks rolled these coins - I have seen Perth 1981 2c coins in ANZ rolls rather than Reserve Bank wrappers.  However, I have not seen any of 1981 20c Canadian coins in these wrappers.  The 1981 20c was also minted in Wales, so these coins would also be found in Reserve Bank rolls.  So it shouldn't be assumed that Reserve Bank wrapper necessarily means Canadian coins.  1981 can get quite complicated!

Australian coin

:welcome:

Wow eccentric! For a first post that was very knowledgeable

eccentric

Sorry - I have been 'lurking' for some time!  Thanks for the welcome. 1981 has special interest for me so I have done a bit of research on it.  I believe there have been a few Reserve Bank rolls that contained all 3 1/2 claw coins.  However, it seems most were put straight into circulation and this accounts for their rarity in high grade.

Mister T

Yeah, McDonalds pretty much agrees with all that: the Wales and Canada coins are both only in the RBA rolls and the Canberra ones are in RAM rolls.

gregk

Quote from: 'eccentric' pid='1067' dateline='1349047103'As these coins were minted in Canada, they were transported in bulk to Australia.  The RAM only rolled coins they minted, so the Canadian coins were rolled by the Reserve Bank.  For this reason you will not find a 3 1/2 claw in any RAM roll.  It may be that some of the other commercial banks rolled these coins - I have seen Perth 1981 2c coins in ANZ rolls rather than Reserve Bank wrappers.  However, I have not seen any of 1981 20c Canadian coins in these wrappers.  The 1981 20c was also minted in Wales, so these coins would also be found in Reserve Bank rolls.  So it shouldn't be assumed that Reserve Bank wrapper necessarily means Canadian coins.  1981 can get quite complicated!

Hey, that was tops,  thanks very much for a most informative reply, know what to look out for!!

sirfry

Hey all

I stumbled upon this 1981 20c when I was doing a bit of noodling. Still trying to get my eye in for this kind of stuff. I know there were a heap minted but would I be right in saying that it is a Canadian minted one?


AaronG

Yes that's the one, and the condition is bette then most you'd find actually! Nice

sirfry

Sweet, thanks Aaron! I'm getting better at this :) I would have thought it was in pretty bad shape though

AaronG

For some reason it's difficult to get them in high grade, they don't really demand a premium unless theyre in aUnc+ condition but I collect them anyway

gnome

So what would you pay for a premium choice unc in todays market.

AaronG

Unc around $80, CH Unc, not too sure

drakesterling

Learn to recognise the obverse, as it's very distinctive and looks different from the obverse of other 20 cents from that era.