Wedding Sets - Packaging or coins?

Started by eccentric, February 04, 2014, 10:03:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

eccentric

I have all the Wedding Sets prior to the proof issues (which I don't collect since the proof coins are available elsewhere).  I am really only interested in the coins, but I have kept the sets intact as a fall-back should I need to sell in the future.  Given that these sets seem to be in limbo (in spite of the fact that the coins are specimens) what is the opinion of members - remove the coins and sell off the packaging to any interested buyer or keep everything intact?

Fulvio

Quote from: 'eccentric' pid='41003' dateline='1391470419'remove the coins and sell off the packaging to any interested buyer or keep everything intact?

I'd aways keep any set intact unless there was a real good reason to destroy it.
http://fulvio55.altervista.org/ - Decimal Mintages and Polymer Notes PDFs
Doge: DG8r9JJnWCHVvd1iG4BJeJMj5g1reYTnSc - BTC: 1FFnNxMDNCnQEjHrh9EhnHZoDMjkbf1seW

trout

There is a real problem selling off the mint packing with these sets.
There is nothing stopping unscrupulous people filling them up with mint set coins and selling them on as wedding set coins :dodgy:
Aim well to enjoy life. You only get One shot at it.
Illegitimi non carborundum

Goldseeker

If they were mine I'd keep them in the packaging as sold originally.
Message rec\'d from Jens Coins 18 Jul 23: 
Bruce Mansfield passed away today 18 Jul 2023 – Acute Myeloid Leukemia


trout

In my humble opinion the wedding set coins produced from 2002-2009 are by far the best quality circulating coins produced by the mint .
I have removed all of mine and now they reside in one of PPH's mini albums, The entire collection fits in one of these perfectly and is far easier to view than opening 8 different boxes at a time.
These are stunning coins and I like to look at them from time to time and just wish that the other coins in my decimal collections were as nice.
Aim well to enjoy life. You only get One shot at it.
Illegitimi non carborundum

Fulvio

Quote from: 'trout' pid='41011' dateline='1391471765'These are stunning coins and I like to look at them from time to time

Hard to argue with any of that. Mine haven't seen the light of day since they went into their coffins the day they were made. :(
http://fulvio55.altervista.org/ - Decimal Mintages and Polymer Notes PDFs
Doge: DG8r9JJnWCHVvd1iG4BJeJMj5g1reYTnSc - BTC: 1FFnNxMDNCnQEjHrh9EhnHZoDMjkbf1seW

eccentric

Yes - I think that's a good point.  I have my collection in coin trays and I like to bring them out every so often to go over them.  The trouble with the Wedding Sets is that you have to unpack several layers to get at them, then back they go into their boxes again - same with the silver sets.  I have the silver sets as well up to 2011 or 2012 - the last year they were sold as a set whichever that was - but rarely look at them.  I have stopped buying them (and most other issues) as it is becoming just too expensive to keep up.  I am trying to rationalise my collecting and that's one of the reasons I thought I would just get all my coins into trays and forget about packaging.

runway

Quote from: 'eccentric' pid='41027' dateline='1391480958'Yes - I think that's a good point.  I have my collection in coin trays and I like to bring them out every so often to go over them.  The trouble with the Wedding Sets is that you have to unpack several layers to get at them, then back they go into their boxes again - same with the silver sets.  I have the silver sets as well up to 2011 or 2012 - the last year they were sold as a set whichever that was - but rarely look at them.  I have stopped buying them (and most other issues) as it is becoming just too expensive to keep up.  I am trying to rationalise my collecting and that's one of the reasons I thought I would just get all my coins into trays and forget about packaging.
I prefer to keep all my coins intact with packaging.Even though it requires more storage space I like the protection :idea:
Buy what gives you enjoyment

eccentric

Interesting to see some of these sets going for around the $65-$70 mark.  Makes me wonder whether the coins would make more sold separately.  Just my opinion, but I sometimes wonder whether the packaging itself - and the name - puts people off.  I'm sure the coins would command more respect and higher prices if sold individually or in a different format.  For example, there are only 2629 of the 2007 specimens available for each denomination.  When compared with the mintages of mint-set-only coins, commemorative dollars and even die varieties like the 2000 incuse 50c, these are very low numbers.  It's tempting to accumulate more at those prices.