What humidity level do you store your coins in?

Started by seedyrom, October 13, 2018, 10:13:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

seedyrom

I threw a hygrometer in the place where I store my coins.
It was 55%.
I was happy with that, as the ambient humidity was 70%.

Is it a general theory that the drier the better?

I just bought a dehumidifier for an area of the house which is likely to grow mould after all this rain. It brought a room down to 40% humidity... but it's a noisy device consuming electricity if I were to leave it running for 24 hours straight.

What do other people have, and what tips do you employ if your coins are in a safe place?
There\'s no such thing as too much Borobi!

Triggersmob

Other than making sure they are all in 2x2s, I don't take any special precautions.
Steve

OFEC count = 258

runway

Buy what gives you enjoyment

Mister T

I've had a silica gel pack in the past and have been meaning to put another one in. Not sure if what I store them in is air-tight though.

nealeffendi

Quote from: 'runway' pid='117031' dateline='1539434357'I doubt this is an issue these days

 :huh:  Humidity is always an issue. Why do you think PCGS have disclaimers about RD designated pennies not being guaranteed to remain red.
Just this morning I noticed mould growing on a beam in our loungroom due to a leak that the landlord has tried to repair twice. Place is 12 months old and Sydneys climate is temperate compared to other places.
I keep my collection in rooms with  no problems, inside saflips or storage boxes and anything nice in thick safes (doesn't just protect against theft or fire but also against fluctuations in temp or humidity).