Bulk Loose coin storage

Started by trout, April 18, 2016, 07:57:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

trout

I bought a vacuum sealer primarily for meat storage and for packing fish when away on a trip.
I have however found that I can use it to help with my coins as well.
Those little "baggies" you get from ram are pretty much a recipe for disaster as far as long time coin storage goes and I would normally put every coin in individual saflips for storage to prevent the coins chaffing against each other.
I had an idea and tried using my sealer on these and it works perfectly, The coins are held firmly in place and the bags are PVC free.
Dead easy and far cheaper than using all my saflips up :good:





Aim well to enjoy life. You only get One shot at it.
Illegitimi non carborundum

stevo1962

With these mint bags I stack the coins inside the bag and roll them like a mint roll using photocopy paper.There's
no way they will move after that and they are easy to store
It\'s not about who you know it\'s about what you know

gnome

Bought one ages ago for the same purpose, but never got around to it.

Fulvio

Quote from: 'stevo1962' pid='87406' dateline='1460938496'With these mint bags I stack the coins inside the bag and roll them like a mint roll using photocopy paper.There's
no way they will move after that and they are easy to store

Precisely. Plus, rolling them has the advantage of separating the easy-tear cut from the coins, helping keep the air out. Plus makes them easier to stack. And it uses less material if you subsequently vacuum-seal them.

However (Trout take note), please remember my sad experiences with nasty fumes getting through the bags. Both the coin bags and the vacuum-seal rolls are made of LDPE, and it is most definitely NOT impervious to gasses.

If you want to truly protect them, use a BoPET (mylar) outer bag, or PP, PET, HDPE or other hard plastic container. Empty chip packets work well, being two layers of BoPET with a metallised core.
http://fulvio55.altervista.org/ - Decimal Mintages and Polymer Notes PDFs
Doge: DG8r9JJnWCHVvd1iG4BJeJMj5g1reYTnSc - BTC: 1FFnNxMDNCnQEjHrh9EhnHZoDMjkbf1seW

robbiegal

You can use a straw to suck the air out as well. Then heat seal.

Fulvio

Quote from: 'robbiegal' pid='87503' dateline='1460980545'You can use a straw to suck the air out as well. Then heat seal.

Yes. Or a little higher tech is a vacuum pump (a mate uses a fish tank air pump) with a length of medical tubing and a hypodermic needle. Seal, poke the needle in, suck, then cover the hole with tape.
http://fulvio55.altervista.org/ - Decimal Mintages and Polymer Notes PDFs
Doge: DG8r9JJnWCHVvd1iG4BJeJMj5g1reYTnSc - BTC: 1FFnNxMDNCnQEjHrh9EhnHZoDMjkbf1seW

trout

Quote from: 'Fulvio' pid='87518' dateline='1460988942'
Quote from: 'robbiegal' pid='87503' dateline='1460980545'You can use a straw to suck the air out as well. Then heat seal.

Yes. Or a little higher tech is a vacuum pump (a mate uses a fish tank air pump) with a length of medical tubing and a hypodermic needle. Seal, poke the needle in, suck, then cover the hole with tape.

I recon I much prefer just pushing a button :angel:
Aim well to enjoy life. You only get One shot at it.
Illegitimi non carborundum

Fulvio

Quote from: 'trout' pid='87521' dateline='1460990014'I recon I much prefer just pushing a button :angel:

Yeah, I get that. But then the material is more expensive, and I'm not sure if it doesn't have additives related to food packaging which may or may not be problematic. Probably warrants some research to find out exactly what the plastic is.
http://fulvio55.altervista.org/ - Decimal Mintages and Polymer Notes PDFs
Doge: DG8r9JJnWCHVvd1iG4BJeJMj5g1reYTnSc - BTC: 1FFnNxMDNCnQEjHrh9EhnHZoDMjkbf1seW

JeffH

It has been mentioned (somewhere, before) that 35mm film canisters are just the right size for storing 20¢ coins.
Well I came across an alternative, available in a large range of sizes. Picked up some pills at the Vet's,  for our old, arthritic  labrador, and they came in a nice container.


That one is a Toolcraft 12 dram size -33.8mm internal diameter and comfortably holds twenty 50¢ coins. There is a big range of sizes and it looks as if this style of container is rather cheap.
Thinking is dangerous, it makes you think. That\'s why many people avoid it.