Canadian Mint Sees Red Over RAM Poppy Coin

Started by purplepennyhunter, January 07, 2018, 03:59:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

purplepennyhunter

Canadian Mint Sees Red Over RAM Poppy Coin

The RAM are in the news again for all the wrong reasons. It seems they are in the proverbial poop with the Canadian Mint over patent infringement. 

This is on top of what I believe is a current court case with an ex-staffer over the 2007 double header 5c and the CEO's identity being stolen last year and used to steal money from the RAM.
Co-Founder Australian Coin Forum

Hercules

Good luck getting me to hand mine back!!! I'll be keeping them for as long as I live. :biggrin:

seedyrom

Now I'm no patent lawyer .... but that appears to be a US patent ... so ... ummmm ... go F yourself Canada.

If you can patent the preparation/scuffing of a surface for the application of paint, I might quickly go out and patent the use of sandpaper.


Hold on to my beers boys. I'm gonna be rich.
There\'s no such thing as too much Borobi!

ausjack

:scratch_one-s_head: so if that's true about the ex-staffer and 2007 double header, doesn't that yet again make PCGS look like they don't know what they're doing as one would think they'd contact the mint to see if it was a legit error or mint sport and mint sport shouldn't be graded as if a real coin as it's a fake :dash1:
A wise person knows there is something to learn from everyone.

redlock

There are at least two mistakes/errors in the linked article:

1.: The mintage of the red-poppy $2 is around 500.000, not nearly 5.8 Million. That's the mintage for the non-coloured version.

2.: The 2015 New Zealand coloured 50c coin was minted by the RCM, not the RAM.


If there's a lawsuit it'll probably take years before there's a verdict. It's more likely there will be a  settlement.

Hercules

Quote from: 'redlock' pid='113663' dateline='1515315725'If there's a lawsuit it'll probably take years before there's a verdict. It's more likely there will be a  settlement.

Phew!!! I want them to hold off until after this year's Commonwealth Games, ANZAC & Remembrance coins have been released. :winkextra:

purplepennyhunter

Quote from: 'redlock' pid='113663' dateline='1515315725'There are at least two mistakes/errors in the linked article:

1.: The mintage of the red-poppy $2 is around 500.000, not nearly 5.8 Million. That's the mintage for the non-coloured version.

2.: The 2015 New Zealand coloured 50c coin was minted by the RCM, not the RAM.


If there's a lawsuit it'll probably take years before there's a verdict. It's more likely there will be a  settlement.

Thank you, they have been fixed. Regarding the NZ 50c, I have removed that because it was minted by the Royal Canadian Mint. But I know the RAM were heavily involved with the design for that coin which is why I made the assumption we actually struck it. Very strange that if the RAM and RCM were working closely re:design then they knew we were working with their micropore "secrets" then they didn't just say something. Or did they just make assumptions too that someone arranged permissions but the paperwork was probably still sitting one someone's desk.

AJ, the double header, mint sport or accidental, take the coin on exactly what it is. Real/struck with dies in the press or fake manufactured in the shed grinding/sanding/gluing. It's not up to PCGS to determine motives, just authenticity.
Co-Founder Australian Coin Forum

ausjack

I've gotta get my self some dies, anyone got any going cheap :)
A wise person knows there is something to learn from everyone.

ausjack

As soon as I get me new shed done I'm gonna have a go at making "accidental" errors as it seems like PCGS will grade just about anything and it's not like they haven't graded coins that shouldn't have been graded so what's the diff if it's done in a small home shed or a big RAM shed :blush2:
A wise person knows there is something to learn from everyone.

Hercules

Quote from: 'purplepennyhunter' pid='113676' dateline='1515360492'
Quote from: 'redlock' pid='113663' dateline='1515315725'There are at least two mistakes/errors in the linked article:

1.: The mintage of the red-poppy $2 is around 500.000, not nearly 5.8 Million. That's the mintage for the non-coloured version.

2.: The 2015 New Zealand coloured 50c coin was minted by the RCM, not the RAM.


If there's a lawsuit it'll probably take years before there's a verdict. It's more likely there will be a  settlement.

Thank you, they have been fixed.

You've also omitted the 2017 ANZAC $2 coin in your list of coloured circulating coins produced by RAM. If you don't remember what it looks like, just look at my avatar. ;)

frenc11

Quote from: 'seedyrom' pid='113655' dateline='1515307303'Now I'm no patent lawyer .... but that appears to be a US patent ... so ... ummmm ... go F yourself Canada.

If you can patent the preparation/scuffing of a surface for the application of paint, I might quickly go out and patent the use of sandpaper.


Hold on to my beers boys. I'm gonna be rich.

pcgs only need to determine if it is a fake