List of decimal varieties

Started by Bigfellani5, September 02, 2016, 03:07:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Fulvio

Quote from: 'Hercules' pid='97380' dateline='1473338654'Do missing tail feathers count as varieties?

The spines on the feathers do. They're mintmarks.

Other than that, the 10¢ are notorious for light strikes and fills, which has part of the feathers barely there, especially where they join the bird's bum. So no. ;)
http://fulvio55.altervista.org/ - Decimal Mintages and Polymer Notes PDFs
Doge: DG8r9JJnWCHVvd1iG4BJeJMj5g1reYTnSc - BTC: 1FFnNxMDNCnQEjHrh9EhnHZoDMjkbf1seW

Mister T

Quote from: 'Hercules' pid='97380' dateline='1473338654'I can't detect this on the $1 and $2, but it shows up very clearly on the 1999 10c.

Yeah the rims on 1999 $1 and $2 coins are generally struck pretty poorly so it's not easy to work out what is close to the rim and what isn't. I saved up all the 1999 $1 and $2 coins I found for a year or so then sat down with a magnifying glass. I need to take another look though and see if there are any easier methods of detecting the differences.

Fulvio

Quote from: 'Mister T' pid='97489' dateline='1473409459'I saved up all the 1999 $1 and $2 coins

Heh, I'm still doing that with 1999 and 2001 $1, and one day I'll actually look for he different die sizes.

Can't rush into these things, but. :dodgy:
http://fulvio55.altervista.org/ - Decimal Mintages and Polymer Notes PDFs
Doge: DG8r9JJnWCHVvd1iG4BJeJMj5g1reYTnSc - BTC: 1FFnNxMDNCnQEjHrh9EhnHZoDMjkbf1seW

r9453

Quick question from a pre-decimal collector, why aren't the various coins not minted at the RAM included? For example, the 1966 1c Melbourne (blunt first whisker) and Perth (blunt second whisker). If these were half pennies I'd definitely consider them a variety.
Two Bob coin collector.

Robster

Great question, one and two cents are rarely discussed amongst the 'decimal heads' here, would be interesting to know how many consider them 'not cool enough':blush:
\"Everything in moderation, including moderation\".

Mister T

Quote from: 'Fulvio' pid='97495' dateline='1473417680'Heh, I'm still doing that with 1999 and 2001 $1, and one day I'll actually look for he different die sizes.

I suspect the 2001 I R B is mint set only.

Quote from: 'r9453' pid='97516' dateline='1473448789'Quick question from a pre-decimal collector, why aren't the various coins not minted at the RAM included? For example, the 1966 1c Melbourne (blunt first whisker) and Perth (blunt second whisker). If these were half pennies I'd definitely consider them a variety.

I'd call them mintmarks rather than varieties, but yeah, no love for the bronze. I think there are different date widths or fonts for the 1975 2c piece maybe?

autocoupler

Quote from: 'Mister T' pid='97529' dateline='1473459481'
Quote from: 'r9453' pid='97516' dateline='1473448789'Quick question from a pre-decimal collector, why aren't the various coins not minted at the RAM included? For example, the 1966 1c Melbourne (blunt first whisker) and Perth (blunt second whisker). If these were half pennies I'd definitely consider them a variety.

I'd call them mintmarks rather than varieties, but yeah, no love for the bronze. I think there are different date widths or fonts for the 1975 2c piece maybe?

From my perspective, either way they should be on any list that differentiates between Mints or die characteristics. IMO this in itself makes them varieties and is why I would collect them :)
As we age we lose three things, one is our memory and arrrrr I\'ve forgotten the other two!

Fulvio

Quote from: 'r9453' pid='97516' dateline='1473448789'Quick question from a pre-decimal collector, why aren't the various coins not minted at the RAM included? For example, the 1966 1c Melbourne (blunt first whisker) and Perth (blunt second whisker).

They are. 2¢ too. Although somewhat briefly, due to space constraints.

Quote from: 'Mister T' pid='97529' dateline='1473459481'yeah, no love for the bronze.

Its not that. Its just that they're so abundant, and hard to spot, so people don't bother.
http://fulvio55.altervista.org/ - Decimal Mintages and Polymer Notes PDFs
Doge: DG8r9JJnWCHVvd1iG4BJeJMj5g1reYTnSc - BTC: 1FFnNxMDNCnQEjHrh9EhnHZoDMjkbf1seW

Hercules

Quote from: 'Fulvio' pid='97544' dateline='1473472349'
Quote from: 'Mister T' pid='97529' dateline='1473459481'yeah, no love for the bronze.

Its not that. Its just that they're so abundant, and hard to spot, so people don't bother.

I think age is also a factor. The 1c and 2c coins were phased out almost 25 years ago, so a lot of young people (myself included) don't have many examples of them, which makes it difficult to search for varieties.

I'd rather stick with denominations that I'm familiar with, that I can purchase from the bank en masse, and that I know other people haven't noodled before me, because that maximises my chances of finding something interesting.

Anything that was withdrawn before the mid-1990s is pretty much a dead zone for me. That's why I want the 5c coins to remain in circulation for as long as possible, so young people will retain an interest in them.

Fulvio

Quote from: 'Hercules' pid='97585' dateline='1473506612'I'd rather stick with denominations that I'm familiar with, that I can purchase from the bank en masse, and that I know other people haven't noodled before me, because that maximises my chances of finding something interesting.

All you really need to do is get on good terms with some tellers, and make them aware you're actively seeking 'mutes'. You'll be doing them as much a favour as they will you, since they need a $25 batch of copper before Armaguard will take it. That can take years to accumulate, and they need to account for it in every report they write.

Some tellers will even give it to you for free, though that is rare.
http://fulvio55.altervista.org/ - Decimal Mintages and Polymer Notes PDFs
Doge: DG8r9JJnWCHVvd1iG4BJeJMj5g1reYTnSc - BTC: 1FFnNxMDNCnQEjHrh9EhnHZoDMjkbf1seW