...what I've been up to lately.

Started by Nevol, March 14, 2016, 07:49:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Nevol

As part of the ongoing thread, "Post Your Australian Decimal Coins by Year"  in the public section where I got to the year 2000 and seem to have hit a brick wall...

All the different types of 2001 coins has really done my head in, so I decided to start on just 1 denom and chose the 10c. Next will be 5c and I hope there aren't so many of them.

I've just completed the 2001 10c errors I have, about 300 of the little buggers, re-examined, named, bagged and tagged, and hopefully I'll be able to rely on my old images from some years ago or I'll be back behind the 8 ball. A lot have been sent back to the wild as I had too many.

Please feel free to tell us what you've been up to coin-wise lately. :angel:
A Platypus is a duck designed by a committee ( anon)

Triggersmob

I have nothing but admiration for you Nancy. That task would do my head in.
I recently purchased a 5kg world coin lot and have been sorting through that.
Managed to pull out nearly 200 coins for my collection. Cataloging and photographing
and uploading to my gallery has been keeping me busy. :)
Steve

OFEC count = 258

stevo1962

Started selling off my lower end PCGS coins to make way for the newly graded stuff which I am always waiting
for.I usually set goals for my collection and that being buying raw coins in the hope of finding a top pop coin once
I have had it graded by PCGS.The 1966 50 cent in MS66 was a target which I have finally achieved.This only took about
20 submissions which isnt too bad.I have also applied the same technique to the 1972 5 cent but after submitting about 20 coins
 MS67 is the highest grade so far with MS68 being the target.I will no doubt keep trying.It certainly keeps me busy
It\'s not about who you know it\'s about what you know

r9453

I admire you both for your organisational skills. I'm trying to save work on cataloging by flogging off some stuff on Facebook. In some ways its probably more tedious and fraught with unhappiness. But I've been buying a few PCGS pre-decimal slabs with the proceeds which is nice.

My latest purchase, isn't he a beauty!

Two Bob coin collector.

autocoupler

That is one pure Shilling there r9453 :good:

Since retiring I've been busy sorting my sets and tidying up generally. I would like to venture into the world of slabbing myself but feel the cost, versus quality of coin, is prohibitive if I was to get my complete penny set graded. It no doubt would be fun to be a part of the registry set thing, but the cost of slabbing as well as what I see as an added risk involved with transportation for a set that in reality wouldn't be competitive, just isn't worth it. Having said that, there are a few coins that are reasonably high grade and some that could be considered rare, but as a full set they wouldn't be competitive.

I do enjoy them every bit as much as would a top rating set give satisfaction  to it's owner, so the next best thing was to list the set (still adding) in my photo gallery, it's called the TPG Coodabeans Penny set :biggrin: will eventually do the same with some halfpennies and florins :)
As we age we lose three things, one is our memory and arrrrr I\'ve forgotten the other two!