Coin Swap for Musical Instrument

Started by eccentric, November 16, 2015, 01:14:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

eccentric

Not sure whether this is allowed - someone jump on me if I have broken any rules.  However, since this is a non-numismatic area, I am hoping it will be OK.

I am interested in obtaining a Gibson F style mandolin - doesn't matter how old it is as long as it is not in pieces.  However, it must be a Gibson.  I would like to make an exchange for coins.  I have uncirculated collections of all Australian decimal denominations up to 2012 (excluding only the most valuable coins such as the 2000 mule and the 1966 wavy 2).   There may be some other omissions but, should this go any further, I can make a comprehensive list for a prospective 'swapper'.

I am prepared to offer all these collections - ie, 1c to $2 as a straight swap for the right instrument.  The acceptable instrument will need to have a corresponding value to the coins offered. However, I would be happy to negotiate to achieve a deal satisfactory to both seller and buyer. To expand a bit...... Some of the earlier 1c and 2c years are a bit toned, but most are in great shape.  They include UNC 1968 issues.  I also have most if not all of the 5c die variations, all the 20c and 50c issues  (including the 2005 50c from the Heritage PNC and a very nice 50c incuse), the mint-marked dollars up to 2012 - or close to it - as well as the NCLT issues. I have all the $2 coins to date including the coloured and mint-marked issues.  All coins have been taken from rolls or mint sets unless they were only issued into circulation.  And if this was the case, I have tried to acquire the best possible examples.

If anyone is interested in pursuing this further, please send a PM (private message) or reply in this thread.

JeffH

Asking price on this one is $18,000 -that's US dollars.
Thinking is dangerous, it makes you think. That\'s why many people avoid it.

eccentric

Thanks for that - quite depressing!  Must be a very early model in great condition - and with a famous provenance perhaps.  If they're all going to be that price I may have to reassess things.  But I'm hoping that there may be models out there that don't command such a high price - I guess I'll just have to wait and hope for the best.

JeffH

Sorry, That is the highest asking price I have seen. Just posted that for the shock value.
Nevertheless Gibson mandolins do fetch high prices (5 figures and up). Gibson mandolins and Sold on eBay
You won't find many in Australia -you need to look to USA.
Thinking is dangerous, it makes you think. That\'s why many people avoid it.