Opinions on "Brockage" Needed

Started by markn, September 29, 2012, 08:29:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

markn

After some opinion (errorsarebest and gnome I am looking at you :)) on whether this is a brockage or not.  Everything looks right apart from the fact that the brockage side still has some raised rim.  I guess this is possible with a late state die cap but I am not entirely sure.

Founder: Australian Coin Forum
The Australian Coin Collecting Blog

Nevol

I know practically nothing about brockages, but what I can see makes me ask, 'would the details on the brockage side normally be that much bigger than on the other side?.  The reverse date on the brockage side is huge compared to the date on the normal side, as is what can be seen of the roo.  :-/

At this point in time, if it was my coin, I'd be wondering if it could be deliberately man made damage, but I repeat,  I know practically nothing about brockages.

I sort of understand how they occur, but none of that would explain to me why the details on the brockage side would not be the same size.   How would  a larger image get onto what it is that makes the brockage image?  It's got me stumped.   :huh:

I look forward to being enlightened. :winkextra:
A Platypus is a duck designed by a committee ( anon)

markn

Quote from: 'Nevol' pid='997' dateline='1348874556'I sort of understand how they occur, but none of that would explain to me why the details on the brockage side would not be the same size.   How would  a larger image get onto what it is that makes the brockage image?  It's got me stumped.   :huh:

When a coin sticks to one of the dies it becomes known as the "die cap".  The die cap is actually what strikes the brockages.  As the die cap strikes more and more coins it spreads out and around the die and can form a distinctive "cap" shape, which is where the name comes from.  As the cap spreads so does it's design and so does the incuse design on the brockages.

The spread out date and roo are a large part of what makes a late state brockage so hard to fake.
Founder: Australian Coin Forum
The Australian Coin Collecting Blog

Nevol

Thank you Mark, I am illuminated. :yahoo:  :grin:
A Platypus is a duck designed by a committee ( anon)

markn

Quote from: 'Nevol' pid='999' dateline='1348875629'Thank you Mark, I am illuminated. :yahoo:  :grin:

My pleasure :)

PPH has found some examples of late state US brockages that have clear rims on them.  So I'm becoming more certain that this one is the real deal.  I'll wait for the experts to chime in though.
Founder: Australian Coin Forum
The Australian Coin Collecting Blog

errorsarebest

Hello Mark, I am looking at the forum during lunch half hour at work. I will get back to you tonight with a considered opinion after a much better look. :-)

errorsarebest

Well I have looked at the images for a while and from what I can see  I would have to say that I reckon it to be a genuine very late stage brockage. I have not seen too many examples like this to study except for my world tokens and some images and it would be better to have the coin to look at in person but it looks OK to me. I would love to see the die cap coin responsible for the brockage. Must've been the size of a penny and severely dished up around the die by the time it struck this coin.