United Nations 20c on Thai Temple Token Blank

Started by markn, September 08, 2012, 12:04:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

markn

A member here has been kind enough to share some images of their fantastic errors.  One of these is a spectacular 1995 United Nations 20c struck on a Thai Temple Token, one of possibly three in existence.  PPH wrote about the error on our blog:

1995 20c on Thai Temple Token

Founder: Australian Coin Forum
The Australian Coin Collecting Blog

Nevol

Very nice wrong planchet error.;) :P  I want one! :rolleyes:
A Platypus is a duck designed by a committee ( anon)

Sapyx

Curious. The only things that pop up on a Google Image search for "Thai temple token" are Indian temple tokens and a token from a Buddhist temple in San Francisco.

Do you have, or have you seen, an example of the actual Thai temple token made from the same blanks?
Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.
    Roman emperor Marcus Aurelius, \"Meditations\"

purplepennyhunter

No, we had no reason not to believe the original RAM statement that it was a thai temple token. The second statement confirmed that they had in fact struck many types of temple tokens.

I'd imagine it would look something like this as the final product
Thai Temple Amulet

or this
1994 Buddha Amulet


Do you have any thoughts SAP?
Co-Founder Australian Coin Forum

Sapyx

No, sorry, I don't, and I have no reason to doubt your sources at the RAM. I've just always thought the best way to complement and display a wrong-planchet error would be to obtain examples of both the same coin on the "correct" planchet and the coin the "wrong planchet" was supposed to have been turned into.
Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.
    Roman emperor Marcus Aurelius, \"Meditations\"

purplepennyhunter

Yes in an ideal world that would be great. Otherwise..
1. It was a spokesperson for the RAM who identified the original coin as being struck on an aureate bonded steel blank intended for a thai temple token. Published in ACR March 1996
2. This was again confirmed by Bruce Webber Communications Manager at the RAM in 2008 when he added that "the 7.6g weight is consistent with an ABS blank used by the Mint for many different tokens , of which temple tokens are a very small subset". CAB Dec 2008 Yearbook.
3. The error coin in question fits the specifications of the other two coins found.
4. I don't collect these sorts of tokens so it's not possible that I have one to image (although I wouldn't say no to the error coin for my collection).
5. I don't go around willy nilly stealing images off the internet.
Co-Founder Australian Coin Forum

planchetflaw

Here is the Thai Temple Token Planchet UN 20c that was featured in the CAB article:

[attachment=54]
[attachment=55]

I've been trying to find the final product Thai Temple Token with the help of some Thai friends.

Australian coin

Did a search for you, the only coin with the description Aureate was “Israel 10 new sheqalim” and that was a 2 ring coin.
But a closer one was “China 1 yuan” described as Nickel plated Steel
Closer again “Russia 5 rubles”

The Thailand one you are referring to?
Seems a bit smaller and lighter
Thailand 50 satang
http://en.ucoin.net/catalog/coin/thailand_50_thai_satang_2008/?cid=6245



ding! This could be a winner
Czech Republic 10 korun 1995
http://en.ucoin.net/catalog/coin/czech_republic_10_czech_koruna_1995/?cid=3344


ill be back later…

Australian coin

Couldn’t find any tokens that were close