1966 2c coin with a line through it

Started by martha, May 01, 2019, 07:15:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

martha

Hi all, this is my first post so hello everyone. I'm new to coin collecting and have come across a 1966 ex mint roll 2c coin with a perfectly straight line through it. I believe none of the other 2c coins in the mint roll have the same mark. The coin looks bright and perfect other than the line through it. Does anyone know what would cause such a perfectly straight line? I've attached two images of the coin. Look forward to people's thoughts. Have a great evening. Many thanks

Nevol

There's a possibility it might be a Lamination or a pre mint planchet flaw. Sometimes they can both be straight.

I tried to enlarge it and from what I can see the line that passes through the B to the back of ER's hair does have the appearance of a lamination.

Can you get a larger image of the coin, maybe a bit better focus as well?
A Platypus is a duck designed by a committee ( anon)

martha

Quote from: 'Nevol' pid='119286' dateline='1556708614'There's a possibility it might be a Lamination or a pre mint planchet flaw. Sometimes they can both be straight.

I tried to enlarge it and from what I can see the line that passes through the B to the back of ER's hair does have the appearance of a lamination.

Can you get a larger image of the coin, maybe a bit better focus as well?

I played around with some scanned images and here's 2 more. An image of whole coin in 600dpi and a cut through image of selected area in 1200dpi. Trying to keep images within the allowances. Many thanks

trout

Hi Martha and Welcome to the forum.
:welcome: 

It is too hard to tell what you have with the 1966 2c coin, It could be anything from a scratch to a planchet flaw.
Can you post better images that show the coin in larger detail please.
Aim well to enjoy life. You only get One shot at it.
Illegitimi non carborundum

Nevol

After seeing the new images I've changed my mind regarding what I wrote earlier.  I don't think it's either a Lamination or planchet flaw.  These 2 types errors are usually quite distinct and the new images show something quite indistinct.

Sorry, but I think it's just a blemish of some sort and IMO would probably not add anything to the value.
A Platypus is a duck designed by a committee ( anon)

martha

Yes I agree. I'll put it back in the pile. Many thanks

Unicorn



fred lever

Hullo Martha, good to see a new set of eyes looking at coins.
Don't be put off by not finding an error on that coin, keep looking!
The more you look at coins the more familiar you get with the layout and what should or should not be there.
The first decimal error coin I found ( a very long time ago) was a 10c with a die crack straight across the coin face.
I only noticed it because I thought it was a scratch!
At that time decimal coins were what I spent to buy things with, not collect!
Now, like the rest of the inhabitants of this forum I look at every coin and note just in case there is an error and sure enough you will find coins with lumps and cracks and things.
Cheers, Fred Lever.

Triggersmob

Steve

OFEC count = 258