Need your opinion on this 1998 $1 MOR

Started by Triggersmob, April 24, 2019, 06:40:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Triggersmob

I spotted this in the till at work today,
and it didn't look quite right. It also seemed
to feel a little light. I weighed about 6 or 7
other MORs and they weigh from 8.95g to 9.08g
and this one comes in at 8.88g. Diameter is 25mm.

Anyway here it is, let me know what you think.
(and no, I'm trying to trick you with a chocolate coin )


Steve

OFEC count = 258

runway

Buy what gives you enjoyment

Unicorn

Very unusual Steve, it certainly stands out!

My only thoughts at this stage would be either the effects of acid or sand-blasting.

Mister T


Goldseeker

What is the reeding on the rim.   Continuous or interupted?
Message rec\'d from Jens Coins 18 Jul 23: 
Bruce Mansfield passed away today 18 Jul 2023 – Acute Myeloid Leukemia


Triggersmob

Steve

OFEC count = 258

Triggersmob

Thank you for your opinions guys.
I guess it will go back in the pond then.
Steve

OFEC count = 258

Unicorn

It's still a nice talking piece though Steve, but there again I am a hoarder. :laugh2:

Greg McDonald

Hi Triggersmob,

Just before you put that dollar on the bar at the local pub, can you have another look at the reverse.  The coins seems to have ghosting around the paws and right side of the roo.  Regarding the obverse, my daughter (when about 6) found a dollar on the road.  It had obviously been run over more than once and showed similar characteristics.  Having said that, I still wouldn't discount the suggestion of being acid dipped.  That would explain the lighter weight.  As said, an interesting coin

Triggersmob

Haha, Greg, I can't remember the last time I went to the pub.
There certainly is some ghosting around the outside of the roos.
It's the rim that intrigues me. It's not well defined and there are
radial lines running in to the letters.
I'm not a collector of such things, so if anyone would like a better
look, let me know and I'll gladly send it to you.
Steve

OFEC count = 258