2019 Rotated 50c International Year of Indigenous Languages

Started by Unicorn, April 10, 2019, 04:19:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Unicorn

Saw a couple of hours ago that there are some of the new 50c coins with a 90 degree rotation.

In the rotated instance the obverse and reverse are aligned ..... ie: the FIFTY CENTS is at the base of the reverse.

I guess that will get the mint bags opened pretty quick!

Should be interesting to see how many of these are around.

jens coins

I think they are all the same as the lines are suppose to run vertical. 
If you look at the Australia Post website then the coin in the PNC is pictured that way.
The link of the picture I posted the other day I rotated it as I thought the word 50 cent should be on the bottom

Unicorn

I know what you mean Jen, but the one shown had the lines horizontal when the effigy was in the correct state.

Unicorn

There's some images etc on the AUSTRALIAN COINS & NOTES Buy Swap Sell (FNQ) page at the moment of both rotated and normals. (Don't want to borrow the images just in case).

Unicorn

Well by the looks of it the news of a rotated 2019 50c variety might not be true.

The first report of it that I saw was on FB as an auction item. Lots of questions were asked by people to ensure the poster wasn't getting confused by the unusual offset of the normal coin and assurances were given that it was in fact rotated and that there were more like it.

Checking today I could no longer find that post, nor the one posted on the other FB page previously mentioned.

Perhaps the poster may have put bands around several coins in various positions and got photos mixed up somehow. Anyway, who knows, but I'm not going to hold my breath waiting to see any more reports.

Below is the initial post. (Photo rights belong to the poster on FB).

[font='Trebuchet MS', Verdana, Geneva, Arial, sans-serif][/font]

Nevol

Looking at the images of Silver version and the Frosted Unc on RAM, the writing on the reverse appears to be deliberately designed in a vertical position, so any so called rotated at 90° are simply normal coins,  That's my take on it anyway, same as Jen already posted.  The coin with the rubber band pretty much confirms it.  I would be very suspicious of any rotated claims until someone who knows what they're talking about actually sees one with their own eyes,  

https://eshop.ramint.gov.au/New-Releases/0.aspx
A Platypus is a duck designed by a committee ( anon)

Unicorn

Yes Nevol I was under the impression that the reverse has vertical lines when the effigy is up the correct way also. (as the RAM info below confirms for all strike types)

If the rubber band in the first two pictures above are on the same coin and it has not been moved and the effigy is then upgrighted then the reverse would have horizontal lines would it not?

[font='Trebuchet MS', Verdana, Geneva, Arial, sans-serif][/font]

Nevol

IMHO, the rubber band has been moved for the 2nd image, or it's a different coin.

Once someone who can say they've seen these "rotations" with their own eyes, I'll be prepared to eat some humble pie.
A Platypus is a duck designed by a committee ( anon)

runway

Vertical writing on Reverse aligns with Obverse Queens Head is normal and I feel sorry for the Facebook buyer who got scammed ... eBay will be full of these errors I suspect but I couldn't be bothered seeing all the scammers who are unreportable
Buy what gives you enjoyment

Unicorn

I totally agree Nevol, moving the band intentionally or accidentally mixing up images was the only explanation I could come up with too.

The only reason that I posted what I'd seen in the first place was to let all the members know that one had been publicised.

As I'm too distanced from all the release points I wasn't able to obtain any on the day so I hoped to ensure that those who were lucky enough to grab some would be aware of the "reported" find. I know that I'd be gutted if I sold a sealed bag and then found out there were rotations out there that I wasn't aware of.

In the FB sale post that was made enough questions had been asked by other parties for me to assume that the seller had exercised due diligence and in fact they knew that the design in its normal state was vertical on the reverse. Hence I thought it had been questioned enough to suggest validity.

One can only now ask the question of their intent. I have my theories, but I won't go into them here.

One thing I do know for sure now is that regardless of my concern for my forum friends here, I'll shut up next time.  :winkextra:

Nevol

Hey Uni, nothing wrong with healthy debate. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

I may very well end up eating some humble pie, who knows.

But.....I'm sure there are plenty members here who did manage to obtain some bags of coins on Wednesday and if they had found a heap of genuine rotated coins
I reckon we'd all have heard about them by now. :winkextra:

Just had a quick look at Ebay, no-one trying to fob them off as rotated, seems like the people on FB may have been advised of their error.
A Platypus is a duck designed by a committee ( anon)

runway

There is no Rotation Error FULLSTOP!
Simply a Facebook selling site member ripped off a fellow member for $24
Buy what gives you enjoyment