Vacuum sealers

Started by gabby, April 11, 2017, 09:48:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

gabby

Have been looking at them and there are far too many to try and absorb

Does anybody use them for their coins - if so what brand and then there are the bags - again far to many

Any advice

WavyTwenty

I also would be interested in this.

gabby

Quote from: 'WavyTwenty' pid='107640' dateline='1491977811'I also would be interested in this.

Not having much luck at the moment - maybe will get an answer later

trout

I bought a "Primus" 12v/240v unit about 18 Months ago and have used it in all sorts of different ways since then.
I have taken it on fishing trips to vacuum seal my fish "on site" which is the perfect way to keep your fish freshest when freezing.
I have used it for all my bulk meat packing and other household uses.
I have vacuum sealed all my flares and other safety equipment for my boat along with other spare parts eg wheel bearing kits needed when I go away.
And YES I have used it with great success on coins especially those little Mint "Baggies" to prevent toning and bagging issues.
I get the rolls of bags from BCF at about $25 for two 10m rolls and they go a surprisingly long way :good:

I do recommend getting one, Not only for your coins as they are a pretty handy all round gadget and you won't end up chucking it under the sink or in the washhouse cupboards like all the other dicer and slicers etc. that you buy that look "Handy".
Don't buy the cheap and nasty "Knock Off" units, Get a good brand name sealer and buy good bags as in the long run it will work out better/cheaper.
I paid about $200 for my sealer and as far as I am concerned it was money Well spent :ok:
Aim well to enjoy life. You only get One shot at it.
Illegitimi non carborundum

gabby

Quote from: 'trout' pid='107643' dateline='1491980313'I bought a "Primus" 12v/240v unit about 18 Months ago and have used it in all sorts of different ways since then.
I have taken it on fishing trips to vacuum seal my fish "on site" which is the perfect way to keep your fish freshest when freezing.
I have used it for all my bulk meat packing and other household uses.
I have vacuum sealed all my flares and other safety equipment for my boat along with other spare parts eg wheel bearing kits needed when I go away.
And YES I have used it with great success on coins especially those little Mint "Baggies" to prevent toning and bagging issues.
I get the rolls of bags from BCF at about $25 for two 10m rolls and they go a surprisingly long way :good:

I do recommend getting one, Not only for your coins as they are a pretty handy all round gadget and you won't end up chucking it under the sink or in the washhouse cupboards like all the other dicer and slicers etc. that you buy that look "Handy".
Don't buy the cheap and nasty "Knock Off" units, Get a good brand name sealer and buy good bags as in the long run it will work out better/cheaper.
I paid about $200 for my sealer and as far as I am concerned it was money Well spent :ok:

Trout again to the rescue.   Thanks for the info.

trout

QuoteTrout again to the rescue. Thanks for the info.

You know the drill Mate, If you want a straight answer just ask Trout :angel::laugh2:
Aim well to enjoy life. You only get One shot at it.
Illegitimi non carborundum

purplepennyhunter

Interesting reading. I have always thought one of these would come in handy but just like the donut maker or waffle iron I just took some deep breaths and the urge to buy passed. Perhaps I don't know what I'm missing.
Co-Founder Australian Coin Forum

trout

QuoteI have always thought one of these would come in handy but just like the donut maker or waffle iron I just took some deep breaths and the urge to buy passed.

That was exactly what I thought as well But my Sister kept going on and on about the blasted things so I bought one just to shut her up basically.
I just wish I had bought one years ago when she first told me to because they are indeed a VERY handy bit of Kit.
I am extremely fussy when it comes to fish and normally if the fish has been in the freezer for over a Month I would give it away or toss it out.
I have now eaten 6 months old pink snapper that I had caught at Sharks Bay and vacuum packed the day I caught it and it was like eating fish caught that day.
None of the usual freezer burn or that nasty Old fish taste at all, It was perfect.
The same applies to meat that is vacuum packed and you can even just put the meat packs in the fridge without freezing them and they are still good after a week or more.
I also do a fair bit of camping and to be able to pack meal sized portions of meat/fish for Mrs Trout and myself instead of mucking about with the shop type packaging is fantastic and it also takes up far less space in our 12v fridge and freezer (More room for Beer)
I think that I would be at a loss now without my trusty sealer and Ziploc bags :)
Aim well to enjoy life. You only get One shot at it.
Illegitimi non carborundum

Nevol

I've had a VS for some years now and it is a really good bit of kit.  We buy bulk meat and seal it up in meal sized portions. Haven't used it for coins yet but I can see how it would keep them safely.  

I'm not sure but I think it came from ALDI, and they have the rolls on sale intermittently.
A Platypus is a duck designed by a committee ( anon)

trout

QuoteI've had a VS for some years now and it is a really good bit of kit. We buy bulk meat and seal it up in meal sized portions.

You only have to buy a few Rump, Porterhouse or other bulk meats at quite a discount over buying a couple of steaks at a time and you will have paid for the VS.
The amount of Bulk meats that I have packed away over the last 18 months alone would have paid for the machine 5x over :yahoo:
You can pick up whole Rumps for about $10 per Kilo compared to paying $18-$20 for the pre packed sliced Rumps and you also have complete control of how thick you like your steaks :good:

Another great use of the VS is when you are mailing coins, slabs or boxed coins is to vacuum seal them to stop any possibility of the coins getting damaged in transit.
Aim well to enjoy life. You only get One shot at it.
Illegitimi non carborundum