Rainbow 50c piece

Started by stevo1962, February 07, 2013, 01:31:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

markn

Quote from: 'stevo1962' pid='8011' dateline='1360278719'Thanks for your input Mark,I don't doubt what you are saying as it is still a big learning curve for me because I've only been collecting coins and banknotes for about 3 years so I still have a lot to learn
and

I have tonnes still to learn too.  I may well be wrong on this.  Perhaps we could get a Canberra based member (you know who you are) to ask Tony Byrne about this.  If anyone would know he would.
Founder: Australian Coin Forum
The Australian Coin Collecting Blog

trout

Quote from: 'markn' pid='8008' dateline='1360276958'
Quote from: 'trout' pid='8005' dateline='1360258336'The Captain Cook coins came in a Perspex case.
No PVC

They tone in those too.

Yes they do. Most 40 odd year old coins (Not Gold) will show some sort of aging/toning.
The specimen Cooks were in Perspex but not sealed and open to environmental influences.
The PVC wallet coins are nearly always affected by PVC damage, I had about 25% of my collection in PVC albums but changed that to non PVC albums and I recon I have saved a heap of coins from damage.
Thanks PP :give_rose:
Aim well to enjoy life. You only get One shot at it.
Illegitimi non carborundum

Fordprefect

Quote from: 'markn' pid='8016' dateline='1360284575'
Quote from: 'stevo1962' pid='8011' dateline='1360278719'
I have tonnes still to learn too.  I may well be wrong on this.  Perhaps we could get a Canberra based member (you know who you are) to ask Tony Byrne about this.  If anyone would know he would.
Robbie is in Melbourne awaiting the birth of First Grandchild.
Might be a while before she pops back here.:angel:

Quote from: 'trout' pid='8018' dateline='1360284943'
Quote from: 'markn' pid='8008' dateline='1360276958'
Quote from: 'trout' pid='8005' dateline='1360258336'The Captain Cook coins came in a Perspex case.
No PVC
They tone in those too.
The specimen Cooks were in Perspex but not sealed and open to environmental influences.
The clear outer case is perspex,
the Inner Red insert is moulded PVC plastic.

The Mint also did the same combo with the '77 Jubilee 50c.
Rob the Elder

trout

It took me a while to hunt this particular thread down.
I received some Captain Cook Specimen coins recently and most of them are PVC damaged .
It is mainly on the rim of the coins that touch the red insert and strangely it is the obverse that seems the most damaged.
Fordy was spot on about the insert being PVC and now may be a good time to look at your cooks in the red cases to make sure they are still OK.
Here are a couple of the affected coins.





As you can see these otherwise Gem Uncirculated coins are now ruined. :cray:
This is the first time I have seen this for these coins in the red cases , They are normally nicely toned and damage free.
These ones don't have that nice pastel toning to them , instead they have a green tinge and the coins are actually pitted in the affected areas.

I have a few of these still in their original cases and so far they remain unaffected, Maybe these ones I just got are a bad batch or have been stored differently .
I have taken all my other coins out of the red cases and put them in heat sealed saflips just in case.
Its a shame because they do look rather good in those cases.
Aim well to enjoy life. You only get One shot at it.
Illegitimi non carborundum

robbiegal

Gee this thread is old! I am onto grandie  number two now! I See the request and will ask

runway

I have a Bass Flinders 50c from circulation that has the most beautifully rainbow toning I have ever seen.
Buy what gives you enjoyment

robbiegal


runway

Quote from: 'robbiegal' pid='84961' dateline='1456537700'photo?
Yes I have a photo to provide
Buy what gives you enjoyment

robbiegal


Unicorn

1998 was indeed a "Rainbow" year with a great song winning Triple J's Unearthed. (We all know Unicorn's love rainbows ......).