Desired Serial Number Combination

Started by tooloot, June 04, 2016, 05:44:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

tooloot

Hi guys.

I'm pretty brand new to note collecting, and pretty confused by what is considered collectible (in the general collect it's public) in regards to serial number combinations (I'm mainly looking at polymer Aussie notes at the moment). I understand first/last prefixes are often looked for (especially in earlier years), but I'm more interested in number combinations.

I've found a couple of notes recently in circulation that look good, but just wondering if they are considered collectible:

$20 note - CE 10 449944
$5 note - CF 12 345633
$5 note - CI 08 393922

As you can see, these have combinations of ladders/pairs/etc, so wasn't sure if they are considered collectible, or just one numbering type. Thanks!

Fulvio

The $20 Radar, definitely. Personally, I would throw the others back.
http://fulvio55.altervista.org/ - Decimal Mintages and Polymer Notes PDFs
Doge: DG8r9JJnWCHVvd1iG4BJeJMj5g1reYTnSc - BTC: 1FFnNxMDNCnQEjHrh9EhnHZoDMjkbf1seW

tooloot

Thanks. Any guess on value of the $20 radar? It's circulated but in really good nick (as I'm new to note collecting I would know what to grade it at, but it's quite crisp and no bends)

JeffH

The $20 is a six digit radar (same number sequence forward or reverse). These are definitely collectible.
Eight digit radar e.g. 10 499401 similarly.
Runs are also sought after -if your first $5 was 12 345678 it would be well worth keeping (or selling on eBay). Again (last) six or all eight digits.
Repeaters too. Say 16 161616 as a possible example.

Like any other collectible, the better the condition, the more it will be worth.

If you don't already have one, get a copy of Greg McDonald's Pocket Book Guide to Australian Coin & Banknotes. This has a good guide to grading banknotes (as well as a wealth of information for coin and banknote collectors). If you don't know where to buy one then Bigfellani5 (a member here) can help you.
Thinking is dangerous, it makes you think. That\'s why many people avoid it.

tooloot

Thanks, I've been meaning to pick up a copy for a while now!

But what I'm gathering is if a serial number isn't an 8 or last 6 digit run/radar/repeater/etc, it's probably not that collectible?

JeffH

Quote from: 'tooloot' pid='89891' dateline='1464990481'Thanks, I've been meaning to pick up a copy for a while now!

But what I'm gathering is if a serial number isn't an 8 or last 6 digit run/radar/repeater/etc, it's probably not that collectible?
Thinking is dangerous, it makes you think. That\'s why many people avoid it.

Fulvio

Quote from: 'tooloot' pid='89891' dateline='1464990481'But what I'm gathering is if a serial number isn't an 8 or last 6 digit run/radar/repeater/etc, it's probably not that collectible?

Apologies for my terse reply earlier... I wasn't really awake. ;)

Collectibility is a complex issue. Have a look at the grannybait thread to see some divergent views. Basically, anything is collectible if you want to collect it. There are people who collect cans and bottle caps and bread ties who have tens of thousands of items in their collections. But when it comes to banknotes (and coins, of course) which must be paid for, the issue is "Will anyone else be willing to pay more than face value for this?" because most of us cannot afford to simply put money under the mattress and forget about it.

Even acknowledged desirable serials like first/last prefixes, radars, repeaters etc are generally in low demand, especially for higher denominations. People just don't have that kind of money laying around. I did an audit of my banknotes last year, and the result was staggering. Especially since I'm pretty sure I would never be able to sell them, so I've lost money by keeping them rather than taking them to the bank and investing the money elsewhere.

Maybe we should start collecting photos of banknotes, rather than the actual notes? It is the 'digital age' after all. :angel:
http://fulvio55.altervista.org/ - Decimal Mintages and Polymer Notes PDFs
Doge: DG8r9JJnWCHVvd1iG4BJeJMj5g1reYTnSc - BTC: 1FFnNxMDNCnQEjHrh9EhnHZoDMjkbf1seW

tooloot

Very good point - collectibles are only worth something if someone is willing to pay for it. But are there general going rates, say for the $20 radar note? Knowing its in low demand I guess answers my question, but just seeing if there's an expectation I should have if I try to sell it (or even if it's worth selling at all). Thanks!

JeffH

Quote"Will anyone else be willing to pay more than face value for this?"
QuoteMaybe we should start collecting photos of banknotes, rather than the actual notes?
Does not compute.
Thinking is dangerous, it makes you think. That\'s why many people avoid it.

Fulvio

Quote from: 'tooloot' pid='89914' dateline='1465019240'if there's an expectation I should have if I try to sell it

Its a bit like asking "How long's a bit of string?"

Maybe if I explain how I look at my collecting, that might help.

I pull stuff out of circulation. I seldom buy from dealers and never online, and then only predecimals or other things I can't find myself.

When I consider the cost, it boils down to two things:

• The 'Lost Opportunity' cost of the money, which is what I didn't make by investing it, plus the cost of storage.

VS

• The 'Hobby Tax', which is the cost of the enjoyment we derive from any hobby.

Any hobby costs money. Just ask a Golfer! ;) If you set yourself a fun allowance, say for example the price of a weekly movie ticket or equivalent, you can get an annual figure for what fun is worth to you. Suppose its $20 a week. That's $1,040 a year. As long as your collection costs less than that, its all good.

So, lets say current interest rates are 5% (they're lower, but lets suppose you got a great deal, just to make the math easy). $1,040 in interest would need a deposit of $20,800 to earn. So you can hold that much in your collection without exceeding what you would have spent anyway on your enjoyment.

Of course this is simplified, because there's no allowance for inflation, taxation, depreciation, compound interest and so on. But you get the idea.

Anything you sell at a profit adds to the budget. Any premium you pay above face value detracts from it. And of course you can freely revalue your collection... if you find a mule in your pocket, you can pretty much double your allowance instead of adding $1 to it.

Make sense?

Quote from: 'JeffH' pid='89916' dateline='1465019420'Does not compute.

Neither does collecting photographs, but people do. ;)
http://fulvio55.altervista.org/ - Decimal Mintages and Polymer Notes PDFs
Doge: DG8r9JJnWCHVvd1iG4BJeJMj5g1reYTnSc - BTC: 1FFnNxMDNCnQEjHrh9EhnHZoDMjkbf1seW