Fair Dinkum

Started by trout, December 13, 2014, 09:43:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

runway

People now just lurk and I know why
Buy what gives you enjoyment

spraggdean23

I think this is a great forum with good members. I also believe people should be encouraged to participate on their own terms when they are ready to. I don't think you can ever tell why people are visiting the forum but not posting. There is a huge number of possibilities.
Cheers Dean.

trout

QuoteI like this forum
 and i do feel the pcgs pressure - a little bit like , if you're not paying a fortune to get your coins slabbed or buying them slabbed, then you're not really a coin collector

I also have great regard for this forum and its members, But I totally disagree with the  idea that if your collection isn't slabbed then you don't "Cut the Mustard" as a collector :ok:
Yes I do have a few coins slabbed but  99% of my coins are very happy in their 2x2's or saflips in PP albums :dance2:

Regardless of what you collect and how you store them a collector is a collector simple as that.:yahoo:
Aim well to enjoy life. You only get One shot at it.
Illegitimi non carborundum

JeffH

Well said trout.
And, if I may be so presumptuous, trout is a good example of how your collecting priorities and attitudes may change with time and circumstances.
The only criteria to be a good forum member here is you collect coins -everything else is just details.
Thinking is dangerous, it makes you think. That\'s why many people avoid it.

Coiny Chris

Hello,

There may also be good members who don't collect many / any Coins. I would think an interest in learning about them and being involved was more important than having expensive ones to " show off " I think there would be many members of Car forums for expensive Cars that don't own that brand. An interest and desire to learn more is what counts to me.
A rolling Coin gathers no change. C Chris

JeffH

Yes; What I should have said is the criteria is your interest in coins.
Thinking is dangerous, it makes you think. That\'s why many people avoid it.

trout

QuoteAnd, if I may be so presumptuous, trout is a good example of how your collecting priorities and attitudes may change with time and circumstances.

No worries Mate :)

That is the absolute beauty about collecting, there is NO stereotype .
It is all freeform as far as I am concerned, Armed with the Views, Knowledge and ideas found on this site has enabled me to expand my collections and try NEW ideas.

Who said you can't teach an old dog new tricks :yahoo:
Everyone collects differently and for different reasons , that is irrelevant .
What is relevant is the ability to ENJOY what you are doing and share some of your knowledge, ideas and experiences with other collectors.

I feel far too much emphasis lately has been on snaffling coins from the Mint and selling them on eBay as fast as possible.
That isn't collecting that is Commerce as far as I am concerned.
Aim well to enjoy life. You only get One shot at it.
Illegitimi non carborundum

Coiny Chris

Hello Trout,

I am sort of guilty. I got some workmates in on a group purchase of a roll of this years remembrance $2 Coins. I on-sold them at a little less than cost. I did it to share the interest, not to make a profit. It has brought together some workmates who didn't have much time for each other, that now swap Coins.
A rolling Coin gathers no change. C Chris

runway

Quote from: 'Coiny Chris' pid='63752' dateline='1418673862'Hello,

There may also be good members who don't collect many / any Coins. I would think an interest in learning about them and being involved was more important than having expensive ones to " show off " I think there would be many members of Car forums for expensive Cars that don't own that brand. An interest and desire to learn more is what counts to me.
Exactly
Buy what gives you enjoyment

Pedro

Nothing has been posted on the Aussie CCF discussion threads for 3 days or so either. Possibly the time of year has something to do with the downturn in posts (maybe)? Could be that ACF posters are all party animals when it comes to December. :D

Pedro