1942 M Threepence - Die Crack? ..... new error/variety?

Started by Unicorn, January 05, 2020, 07:22:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Unicorn

Would appreciate thoughts on this one.

I think I can see a die crack from rim to N in THREEPENCE.

It's not listed in Renniks. Does anyone have Dr Briggs' Threepence book to see if he has referenced it?

Thanks!

[font='Trebuchet MS', Verdana, Geneva, Arial, sans-serif][/font]
[font='Trebuchet MS', Verdana, Geneva, Arial, sans-serif]

[/font]

fred lever

Hi Uni, to answer the question, Briggs has photos of around 30 dies cracks on the 42 M but not that exact one.
His comment on page 294 is "There are dozens more" !!
Elsewhere he notes "If you look carefully you will find a crack from any reverse letter to the rim, and wheat stalk to the rim and at least 100 easy variations" (page 300).
Thus we see that the Australian and American mints ran the 3d dies until  they fell apart, production was the prime directive, not quality.
Fred.

Unicorn

Thanks so much for that Fred. (I have his florin reference, but not the threepence).

Just for reference purposes, just came across another 42 S one not in Renniks.

Obverse Die crack rim to E in REX
Obverse Die crack rim to N in IND extending parallel to first downstroke of N
Obverse Die crack between D : G colon dots
Reverse Die crack rim to first A in AUSTRALIA
Reverse Die crack rim to second E in THREE




JeffH

Thinking is dangerous, it makes you think. That\'s why many people avoid it.

Basil

Quote from: 'JeffH' pid='121070' dateline='1578257116'Wow, they must have really flogged those dies.

Extreme,almost critical,coin shortage in the early War years,it wasn't until the early/mid 1970's when Cabinet papers and other Documents were declassified that Researchers and WW11 Historians realised the extent of it and this knowledge slowly permeated into the Numismatic Community.

Its good to see non-pristine egs of Coins being used to demonstrate a point/perspective,i got a few negative Posts with some of my Coins that i was trying to find Info. about in the early days of this Forum,not everyone has a Unc. eg of a Mint error or other nonconformity.
Definition of Wisdom in a Man.\"...the moment in a persons journey through life life when he realises 99.9% of the people he meets & greets don\'t care about himself or his opinions\".

Nevol

I have some images of 8 x 1942's all with various cracks. I'm guessing c1 didn't have any errors. These images just show the d.ck, not the whole coins. 
I don't appear to have any obv d.cks Hmmmm.....

3d 1942M C2v1 Rev D.Ck Rim-A-2-Ribbon.jpg
3d 1942D C3v1 Rev D.Ck P-Rim.jpg
3d 1942D C4v1 Rev D.Ck E-Rim, 1-Rim.jpg
3d 1942D C4v2 Rev D.Ck E-Rim, 1-Rim.jpg
3d 1942D C5v1 Rev D.Ck P, 2, A-rim.jpg
3d 1942D C5v2 Rev D.Ck P, 2, A-rim.jpg
3d 1942D C6v1 Rev D.Ck E, N, A, A-rim.jpg
3d 1942D C6v2 Rev D.Ck E, N, A, A-rim.jpg
3d 1942D C6v3 Rev D.Ck E, N, A, A-rim.jpg
3d 1942D C6v4 Rev D.Ck E, N, A, A-rim.jpg
3d 1942D C7v1 Rev D.Ck T, P-rim.jpg
3d 1942D C7v2 Rev D.Ck T, P-rim.jpg
3d 1942D C8v1 Rev D.Ck P, N, Scr x2-rim.jpg
3d 1942D C8v2 Rev D.Ck P, N, Scr x2-rim.jpg
3d 1942D C8v3 Rev D.Ck P, N, Scr x2-rim.jpg
3d 1942D C8v4 Rev D.Ck P, N, Scr x2-rim.jpg
3d 1942S C9v1 Rev D.Ck T-Rim.jpg
A Platypus is a duck designed by a committee ( anon)

Unicorn

Thanks Basil! To me errors may not even exist in the higher grades in some instances, therefore the example you have may actually end up being the highest grade possibly existing for that particular one. It might not be a MS coin, but there might not be any of those left out there either. After all, if Ian McConnelly (RIP) and David Briggs hadn't documented an example ..... then they must not be around in significant numbers.


I was hoping that my posts would inspire Nevol to elaborate on some of her lovely images and coins, my hopes are only exceeded by the extensive list above (which I'll now track down  :heart: ), after all Nevol is, to me, the Queen of error / variety coins!

Nevol

Thanks Uni.  I was a bit perplexed about not having any with Obv d.cks, but that's all I have images for. 

I can't imagine none of those coins having any Obv D.Cks but I doubt that I'll go searching now, as I can't even recall where the coins are.
A Platypus is a duck designed by a committee ( anon)

Unicorn

:laugh2: ..... I totally understand Nevol ...... it's taken me years to even get to these ones! (I'd forgotten I even had them)