Show posts

This section allows you to view all posts made by this member. Note that you can only see posts made in areas you currently have access to.

Messages - Gunny

#1
Quote from: 'fred lever' pid='123612' dateline='1603138152'Gunny, keep looking and finding!
Thats how you learn about coins and find the next 2000 mule!
Fred.

Thanks Fred and everyone else. I found my first mule in 2007 and then went 13 years before I found another one. I estimated I noodled at least 100,000 $1 coins to find that first one.  It was only a couple of months ago that I found my first and only 1985 rabbit eared $1 coin.  I thought I was chasing a myth there. I did read on a post, not too sure from who that they are probably more scarce than the 2000 mule.  I currently noodle about $1800 worth of coin a week in all denominations and am thinking I'll try a post at the end of the month to show people what I have found.  Thanks for the words of encouragement and advice from you all.  Happy noodling
#2
Quote from: 'Unicorn' pid='123602' dateline='1603062170'I'm with Fred & Mr T on this one Gunny, I feel it may well be a really bad planchet with a lot of voids struck through but you'd really have to have it in your hand to be able to tell for sure. The circulation damage to the rim only makes it harder.

Thank you all for your thoughts on my 50 cent coin. If any of you were to attend a coin show/ fair in Brisbane, I'd be more than happy to bring it along for you to see it " in hand".  In the meantime I'll continue to keep noodling, looking for another coin of interest to add to my collection ??
#3
Hello Unicorn, 
          With some help from my daughter,(all of it) we have taken these photos of the coin in question. Hopefully they are what you have in mind.  The photo of coin 2 is another reverse of a 1975, 50 cent coin that I found only a couple of months ago, we have included this photo to try and eliminate the thought of it being PMD.  I admire your photography work and was wondering would you mind telling me the setup that you use please.  I look forward to your response.  Gunny

[attachment=3981][attachment=3982][attachment=3980][attachment=3979][attachment=3983]
#4
I've received quite a few rolls of both 5cent and $2 2020 coins here in Brisbane over the last few weeks. I'm not seeing any 2019 50 cent pieces, has anyone else seen them
#5
Quote from: 'Gunny' pid='123550' dateline='1602663121'Hello all, my wife brought home this very unusual 50 cent coin, I had been noodling hundreds of dollars of various denominations of late and my wife brings home a half a dozen coins and this was in them.  I don't believe it's PMD, as I have another 50 cent coin of the same year, (1975) with the same flaw to the top.  I'd appreciate any views that people have. 

Hello Nevol, I've been over the coin with strong magnifying glasses, I don't have a USB microscope as yet. I'm quite confident that the "fault"at the top of the coin is genuine, as I have another 1975 50 cent coin with the same fault.  There are also multiple marks that I believe to be "struck through", as well. Unicorn has asked for better photos and I'm in the process of trying to do these so as to give everyone a better look at the holes that are in the surface of the coin.  I've had a really good look at the coin and I see no indication that it has been held in a vice and tried to be bent.  Hopefully better photos will let everyone make a true decision
#6
Hello all, my wife brought home this very unusual 50 cent coin, I had been noodling hundreds of dollars of various denominations of late and my wife brings home a half a dozen coins and this was in them.  I don't believe it's PMD, as I have another 50 cent coin of the same year, (1975) with the same flaw to the top.  I'd appreciate any views that people have. [attachment=3978][attachment=3977][attachment=3976]
#7
Hello all, I'm in Brisbane and have found all of the new Effigy coins here. The other day at the bank getting my noodling change, I received an RAM wrapped roll of the new 50cent coins, as well as 2 unmarked rolls too.  My last noodling lot has given me 3 of the 50cent Languages coins and a real treat, a 2015 Lest we Forget $2 coin.  Gunny
#8
Coin Chit Chat / RE: Purple Penny Robbed?
August 30, 2020, 01:10:34 PM
I'm thinking that if they are identified they will get a little "smack" on the wrist. It brings back memories of Derry Hinch and his wall of shame, put their images out there for all to see, best of luck.
Gunny
#9
Australian Errors and Varieties / Rabbit eared coins
August 25, 2020, 09:16:10 PM
Hello all, have just finished noodling some $1 coins and found a 1984 dollar different to the others I have.  I have 6 different stages of 1984 dollars but this one is very different, the rabbit ears are between what I call stage 3 and stage 4, it has a Spur to the back of the second roo, under the jaw of the top roo and the top of the R of dollar is filled in.  Does anyone else have something similar, as I'm really intrigued by the amount of variations there are. Gunny :to_pick_ones_nose_eat:
#10
Public Coin Chat / Rabbit eared coins
August 25, 2020, 05:59:43 PM
Hello all, have just finished noodling some $1 coins and found a 1984 dollar different to the others I have.  I have 6 different stages of 1984 dollars but this one is very different, the rabbit ears are between what I call stage 3 and stage 4, it has a Spur to the back of the second roo, under the jaw of the top roo and the top of the R of dollar is filled in.  Does anyone else have something similar, as I'm really intrigued by the amount of variations there are. Gunny :to_pick_ones_nose_eat:
#11
Hello eyadillah,
          The 1933 penny seems to have some deep gouge marks in it , so I'm thinking definitely PMD, as for the halfpenny, not sure, would you be able to post a clearer photo to have a look at please. Gunny
#12
Hello all, I'm a new member here and have just seen this post of "rabbit ears" $1 coins. I've been noodling for about 20 years and have done several hundred thousand $1 coins. It's only 2 weeks ago I found my first 1985 rabbit ears. I'm yet to find a 1986 one. I saw the very impressive collection of the 2016 coins. I've just looked through my 2016 coins and I've also found the following, a. Cud to the rump of the top roo, b. Small ears to the second roo, c. Large ears to the second roo.d. Large ears to the second roo as well as a long cud under the foot of the big roo, all of these are with rabbit ears to the top roo.