Australian-Coins Forum

Australian Coins, Banknotes and Exonumia => Australian Errors and Varieties => Topic started by: errorsarebest on September 26, 2012, 11:09:02 AM

Title: 2003 Damaged $1 Mint Set
Post by: errorsarebest on September 26, 2012, 11:09:02 AM
Here is an example of a mint set that contains a damaged coin. Please note that this damaged coin is not technically an error coin but simply a post strike damaged coin that should not have been included in the set. More of a quality control issue than an error. Never the less I like it and will keep it in my collection. I had two of them but sold one some years ago on ebay. I was told that there were about 17 of these 2003 damaged coin sets around at the time. It appears to me that the damaged coin has not ejected from the collar correctly after being struck but I might be wrong. All of the sets I have seen have roughly the same damage to the $1 coin.  

(http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff235/Blunderstruck/2003setcover.jpg)  

(http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff235/Blunderstruck/2003setcoinrev.jpg)  

(http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff235/Blunderstruck/2003setcoinobv.jpg)
Title: RE: 2003 Damaged $1 Mint Set
Post by: Australian coin on September 26, 2012, 11:17:28 AM
I never knew about this before till now, thanks for sharing :)
You can see where the flat spot is there are ripples in that area, so a lot of force in that, also may be some at the O&L in dollar.
Title: RE: 2003 Damaged $1 Mint Set
Post by: gnome on September 26, 2012, 08:19:09 PM
Hope it's ok to jump on your thread here.

I picked up a set awhile ago from the post office.

(http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t13/compassnorth/coins103.jpg)

2008 MINT SET, with all  2007 coins in it.

(http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t13/compassnorth/coins101.jpg)
Title: RE: 2003 Damaged $1 Mint Set
Post by: Pedro on September 26, 2012, 09:47:48 PM
Very impressive gnome - all the sets I've seen for sale have had a single coin with the wrong date included but to have them all the wrong year is something else :yahoo:

Pedro
Title: RE: 2003 Damaged $1 Mint Set
Post by: lacey on September 27, 2012, 07:26:41 PM
WOW!  That's incredible.

I bought a 1994 mint set for about $20 and found it had a wrong coin in it.  I bet the seller was peeved off after finding he sold the wrong set.
Title: RE: 2003 Damaged $1 Mint Set
Post by: planchetflaw on September 30, 2012, 01:28:26 PM
Hey gnome! Nice set. I picked one of those up as well. I collect error mint sets. Was so happy to get one of those :)

I have a 1994 Baby Mint Set with a 1984 $1 coin inside. I do not know if the RAM were restriking 1984 dollars in that year. I have no clue how it happened. Taken it to a few dealers in Sydney and they believe it to be genuine(as do I).

I picked up a 2007 Baby Mint Set with the 2007 Diamond Wedding 50c inside and back to front. I have seen 4 of these in existence.

I also picked up a really cool 2011 Baby Mint Set with the 2011 Wool $1 inside instead of the usual Creator Dollar they do now. That was on my birthday, too.

I have two sets missing the 5c (not just slipped out and hiding in the packaging). 1995 and 2011 Baby Mint Set.

I opened up a 1985 Mint Set only to find the 10c was an indent misstike (very slightly, but still). So annoyed I didn't spot it before butchering the set :(

I have seen the 2003 $1 Mint Set Error due to damage pre-packing. I am not sure if I own one.

I'd be happy to grab some photos next week if you're all interested.
Title: RE: 2003 Damaged $1 Mint Set
Post by: gnome on September 30, 2012, 02:38:36 PM
Would love to see the pics, when you get the chance.
I've got a 91 proof set with the 90 10 cent, somewhere as well.
We should probably start a new thread for the error sets.