Somewhere on our site there was a discussion about the US Mint putting out new Morgan and Peace dollars. For the life of me I can't remember where it was. Certainly not here in World coins. Does anyone remember where it was? I'm thinking of ordering a couple.
Thanks in advance.
Are you sure it was this forum? Nothing coming up when I do a search.
I don't read any other coin forums so it had to be here and it was off topic. I just don't remember which topic.
A bit of googling came up with this.
https://catalog.usmint.gov/morgan-dollar-2023-uncirculated-coin-23XE.html?cgid=2023-product-schedule
They are due in July. I'm now trying to find out if the us mint website takes payments from PayPal. Nothing is ever easy.
Yes, you can use PayPal but you have to set up an account with them. It also has issues but I think I have got there.
I'll find out in July when I try to order some.
It would be by me
https://www.australian-coins.net/showthread.php?tid=5847
Thanks. I didn't think I was losing my mind.
Quote from: 'gweidion' pid='128166' dateline='1683964868'I'll find out in July when I try to order some.
I wish you good luck.
As far as I know, only 27.000 will be available (10% of total mintage). The rest of the mintage goes to the folks who enrolled in an ''Enrollment Program'' started by the US mint in July 2022. I am not entirely sure, but I think the enrollment program currently does not take new members.
There is a long thread about this subject on CCF.
Pro tip, whilst the enrolment program says it is only for US residents (and hence why for years I didn't join), it actually works for Australia.
The best thing is when it ships, it doesn't charge postage, so you get free international shipping.
Don't tell your friends, i don't want this lurk to be found out.
Thanks, I'll look into it.
Quote from: 'gweidion' pid='128221' dateline='1685063296'Thanks, I'll look into it.
Keep us updated!
They are not cheap. Someone is selling a 2021 Morgan for $180 on Trade Me (slightly less your money).
For that you can buy 2 AU common date original Morgans from the 1800s.
Morgans are my favourite of all the crowns, huge glamorous coins that evoke the wild west. I have 23 of them at the moment, mostly common - but still gorgeous coins.
The folks at CCF would be spitting tacks now, I was so anti USA coins when I was there, but now I have bitten the classic USA coin bug and love adding Walkers, Mercurys, Morgans and Barber coins to my collection.
I managed to enrol in their coin programme and paid $74 US if I recall correctly. And it came with free postage. I was surprised they honoured that. Excessive for the silver value but I wanted one. They differ quite a bit from the traditional Morgan dollars. I prefer the old ones, but not unhappy about getting a new one.
Got this from the US mint this morning.
Due to the rise of the spot price of silver and other costs, the United States Mint is raising prices on all numismatic silver products effective July 9, 2024, except for our commemorative coin program products.
As a loyal customer, we wanted to notify you this will impact the price of any subscriptions you have for the Morgan or Peace Silver Dollar Uncirculated Coins which go on sale July 11, 2024. On July 11, the Morgan and Peace Silver Dollar Uncirculated Coins will go on sale for $91.00.
Given they generally sell for ridiculous amounts I should keep getting them but nope. 91 dollars when silver is 29 dollars.
Double, okay. Triple, maybe. More, shove it.
The US mint is having slow sales of their commemorative coins as well.
https://www.coinworld.com/news/us-coins/commemorative-programs-of-2024-show-faltering-sales
The silver proofs are being sold for $87 and uncirculated ones for $82.
I was interested in the Greatest Generation but I could not justify it at the price it is being sold for.
I managed to buy the 2023s and 2024s off a local who imported them from America, not cheap ($170 or $180 kiwi which is about $20 less per coin your money).
I have the 2023 Morgan and Peace dollars, Uncirculated and Proofs and the reverse proof pair
Also the 2024 Morgans and Peace dollars as well, but no reverse proofs (Just look ugly).
Overall its a bit pricey, but I am lucky mine are flawless, no marks or scratches and well presented, plus its a supremely struck coin, the proof coins (Especially Morgan, never been that crazy about the Peace dollar) are blazing!
Really want to get the 2021s, which are rare now - but the 2025s not so much, rumours are the American collectors are tiring off them and many are just getting the coins instantly slabbed straight away and having hissy fits when they come back 68 or 69 rather than MS70 or PR70.
The other gimmick, is they are .9999 silver, not just 90% like the original coins.
Image shows the Proof 2023 Morgan to give you an idea of its quality! :sun_bespectacled:
Very nice coin Tane.
Great additions to your collection, Tane. Congrats.
Thanks, I intend to keep them in their capsules and packaging.
Fortunately I have about 25 original Morgan dollars in much less spectacular condition.
Some of them I can paw with few extra ill effects.
Funny, I have never really liked the Peace dollars either.
I got a few off eBag and then the following year directly from the US Mint thanks to information from here.
Then it just got too dear to keep up with.
I find that with a lot of coins.
I tried to get all the silver roos, missed a couple of years and stopped when they got to be well overpriced.
Same with the kooks and koalas.
Ironically with silver at record levels they would be worth about the cost now.
I bought these off eBag.
2021 $1 CC MORGAN SILVER DOLLAR NGC MS70 FIRST RELEASES CARSON CITY
2021 $1 S SAN FRANCISCO MORGAN SILVER DOLLAR NGC MS70 FIRST RELEASES
That was January 2022 and paid way too much. I even had to bid and win the packaging and certificates for the coins as well. All unfortunately in US dollars.
Hey Tane, I spotted this one in the US, ends in just over a day.
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/277270255141?_skw=2021+%241+S+SAN+FRANCISCO+MORGAN+SILVER+DOLLAR+NGC+MS70+FIRST+RELEASES&itmmeta=01K0KVAY98ZTGQZ110JGAEGAKF&hash=item408e985625:g:AscAAeSw56RodUlG&itmprp=enc%3AAQAKAAABIFkggFvd1GGDu0w3yXCmi1dtCNp58xwfOc3SkoH6tZWV%2FASm401D%2BaBhP807uAlgQBoBIdYAJICf9tVAxq4MKXOsSSjnE4ejCz8qnvIHgRO51B%2BEuymBMFu0CPvEtv8%2Bz56UaP9XBMWFwUuXchsQ%2FFXb1fOFT6Sqz4%2BmLgtB4r2ROOHAR%2BVWRd4u%2BHtQUY2viz%2BBT4guKCZ64hQEwg2Eebxr18x%2FKEHsBdCVpbOcsOprORE0EQpAmIMOGw%2FLuFMSc88h%2FJ8i%2Be2c8AwqkSMJ3K%2ByVl71vQvweXKPIqOTx6xYhgiC3vTaPZs%2BoB7hqlplPQGUgNfh9IjPBjvfqmfXayY6XGbKPpfLVAiIGxBSmtzUQpWcqXrCt%2BG104viRWwmqQ%3D%3D%7Ctkp%3ABk9SR_Dkq_uEZg
Just be aware of the postage charges. Currently this is cheaper than what I paid.
I only acquired all of the Morgan Dollar releases in 2021 as well as the Peace Dollar release for that year. I have not bothered with any more of them since the initial release.
Thanks, but I don't really use Ebay, as I got scammed and hacked back in 2007 and they have some questionable ethics around Chinese fakes and being in NZ, postage and handling charges are stratospheric and take ages to arrive.
I mainly use trade me for everything I buy, although here in Christchurch we have a few antique shops that sell coins.
Shame as I really wanted the CC one.
I was finding NZ coins in my noodling (even some pre-decimal) so decided to see if I could make a set. Then I got a little more serious and wanted to fill the gaps.
So I was buying in trademe, prices generally better than in Australia and postage reasonable especially if a seller would combine for multiple items.
I got a 1967 2¢ Bahama mule that way much cheaper than they were going for on eBay Australia. I don't have a 2004 10¢/$1 mule, probably out of my price range now.
Here is my favorite NZ noodling find, trench art from a bulk foreign assortment. I was able to get Mr Yates' service record but have never had any luck tracking down any relatives, just in case they might want it.
(https://www.australian-coins.net/gallery/albums/userpics/10055/139/NZ_12F2_crown_1.jpg)
(https://www.australian-coins.net/gallery/albums/userpics/10055/139/NZ_12F2_crown_2.jpg)
Sorry about wandering off topic but it happens.
I wonder if that was meant to stop a bullet?
That 10 cent Dollar mule is well out of my margin of utility also. Seems like there are heaps but I've never found one.
My mum did and showed me, back before we knew and accidentally spent it.
Interesting item Jeff. Thanks for sharing.
I wasn't aware of the 2004 NZ mule. I wonder if Tane knows how common they are.
If you are talking about the Bahamas back on the NZ 2 cents I've heard talk of thousands and possibly even ten thousand. Surprisingly they still sell for around $100, obviously more for better ones. AI says more.
From google
The Bahamas New Zealand 2 cent mule is a rare error coin from 1967, where the obverse (heads side) of a Bahamas 5 cent coin was paired with the reverse (tails side) of a New Zealand 2 cent coin.
Key Details:
Obverse: Bahamas 5 cent coin design (Queen Elizabeth II portrait).
Reverse: New Zealand 2 cent coin design (flowers and denomination).
Mintage: Approximately 100,000 of these mule coins were produced and released into circulation before the error was discovered.
As for the ten cent mule
The exact number of 2004 New Zealand 10 cent coins struck with the obverse of the $1 coin, also known as a mule, is not known, but it is believed to be in the low to mid hundreds of thousands.
Does anyone have a link to circulation numbers for New Zealand coins like we have in Australia? I probably should google it.
This is a link to the Reserve bank of New Zealand mintage numbers, but its a business to them, so they don't list errors.
https://www.rbnz.govt.nz/statistics/series/reserve-bank/coin-mintings
Not sure if it works outside NZ though.
For those who can access trade me, you can also buy the John Bertrand catalogue, its a small and cheap thing, but has good information about every error. The link is to their site and they always welcome foreign customers. Berrtrand are a fantastic company and I buy many coins off them, I totally recommend them!
https://bertrand.co.nz/
This year they have just put out a new coin errors catalogue - The NZ error coin catalogue by Pieter Hoek and Jason Gray. Bertrand sells it and its excellent.
I am also sure Vera Trinder in the UK and some Australian coin sellers may import and sell the NZ catalogues there.
For specialists like me I recommend books by Robert Pepping who has done Predecimal coins, notes and NZ Trading bank notes for the BNZ series and Andrew Clifford has done NZ trading banks and early Shinplasters (1840s shop scrip).
The Pepping and Clifford books are privately published and may be hard to get outside NZ.
About coins - 1967 Bahamas mule is not rare, its more sort of "scarce" you can get one for $50 or so. 1967 was a super common year of 2 cent coin, being the first and they minted like 80 million of them, so 200k errors is not that many proportionately, but not super rare.
The 2004 dollar/10c is a better error and its hard to notice, has a double rim on the 10c. However its hard to find now as the old 10c was demonitised in 2006 and thus finding one is impossible. There was only 1mm in size difference between our dollar 22.05mm and 10c (old) 23.4mm.
Thanks for that NZ mintage stats link. It is the same one I found using Google so it is nice to know they are official figures.
Meanwhile I posted an original Morgan dollar from the 1880s on the silver Saturday thread.
Moving back to the thread, I have to show you my original Morgan.
Yes my only 1878 Morgan Dollar a San Francisco coin. The coin is one of the common 7 feathers variety, but is an 1878 obverse.
You can tell this by the arrows the Eagle holds, the top edge on the left topmost arrow is straight. In 1879, they made this wedge shaped and this was how they looked until the end of the series.
[attachment=4181] [attachment=4182]
True rarities are the Carson City coins and even 8 feathers are scarce. Still a first year Morgan is a first year Morgan.
Did you also know Charles Morgan was actually an Englishman who was working at the Royal Mint and the Americans hired him on the strength of his work and also a request by James B Longacre, who was close to retiring. He designed the famous dollar coins in 1877 and 1878 saw his work go out into the pockets of Gilded age Americans.
Thanks for the info Tane. I didn't know Morgan was a pom.
Morgan also designed the Stella 4 dollar gold coins and the 20 cent piece of 1875 I think (If I am wrong it was Longacre).
Yeah didn't know that either - interesting.
Yep, the Americans got really experimental after the Civil war, they had 2 cent, 3 cent silver and nickel coins and even a 20 cents amongst all the flops. The Stella was a nice coin designed to compete with the British sovereign and European 20 Franc, 20 Mark and 20 whatever elses gold coins.
[attachment=4247]
Here is my whole Morgan family! Photo is a bit hazy to float around the rules on image size.
Top row - 1878S, 79S, 80, 82S, 82P
Next 83P, 84O, 85O, 86, 87
Next 89, 90, 91, 92, 96P
Next 96P better, 97, 98, 00S, 00O
Bottom 02, 04, 21D
Any date with no letter is Philadelphia, also as P for dates with a coin from another mint
S = San Francisco, O = New Orleans to 1909, D = Denver (Since 1906 and for 1921 Morgans only).
Just realised my Morgan Family has 2 new members since that mid 2025 photo
[attachment=4248][attachment=4249]
An 1883O Morgan apparently UNC, but I suspect its high AU, however I could be wrong as New Orleans dollars were weak strikes and the coin has the shiny and rich lustre, the hair above the ear usually appears flat on New Orleans strikes especially with the earlier (1880s) dates. Its still a stunning Morgie.
And finally I bought this Morgie only a few weeks ago, by now these coins are $100+ due to the silver content.
[attachment=4250] [attachment=4251]
Its another high grade coin and some nice lustre, always welcome additions to my collection. Now I have 32 beautiful old classic silver dollars, as I have 6 Peace dollars and my 1860 Seated Liberty dollar.
Morgies are some of my favourite coins, a cheap way to get large and high grade silver coins from over 100 years ago and commonly associated with the Wild West (Silver Dollar saloons etc).
Big chunky silver is always nice.
Haven't got an MS64 86 O you could sell me Tane?
I have many Morgans, not so many Carson City ones though. Maybe two or three.
Must drag them out for a look again and show my daughter, as she'll probably end up with them.
I only have 7 Morgans.
Gweidon I wish, no MS anythings in that bunch, all raw and cheap coins. I suspect one of my 1896's (The toned one) maybe a UNC coin, but most are EF and AU and couple quite worn.
I don't have any CC's, they are all rare and expensive.
In fact Gweidon if you find a CC Morgan Dollar, I may want to buy it off you!
Hey Tane. I managed to get a 1882 CC and an 1883 CC GSA holdered ones back when they were abundant and got both graded in their holders.
I think they cost about $250 and $300 at the time when the Aussie dollar was higher than the US dollar.
I would have loved more, but even that was stretching the friendship.
I really need to dig them out to ogle them again. If I do, I'll try to put some pics up.
Not sure if I showed my Morgan's previously
1884-O
(https://www.australian-coins.net/gallery/albums/userpics/10113/176/1884_28O29_USA_Morgan_Dollar.jpg)
1889
(https://www.australian-coins.net/gallery/albums/userpics/10113/176/1889_USA_Morgan_Dollar.jpg)
1890-O
(https://www.australian-coins.net/gallery/albums/userpics/10113/176/1890_28O29_USA_Morgan_Dollar.jpg)
1890
(https://www.australian-coins.net/gallery/albums/userpics/10113/176/1890_USA_Morgan_Dollar.jpg)
1900-O
(https://www.australian-coins.net/gallery/albums/userpics/10113/176/1900_28O29_USA_Morgan_Dollar.jpg)
and 2 1921 coins
(https://www.australian-coins.net/gallery/albums/userpics/10113/176/1921_USA_Mordan_Dollar_28229.jpg)
(https://www.australian-coins.net/gallery/albums/userpics/10113/176/1921_USA_Morgan_Dollar_28129.jpg)
Those are beautiful Steve, your 1921's and the 1900O are much nicer than mine. They are fabulous coins!
And Gweidon, so lucky to have those Carson City's, thats a real fortune there and those coins are rare.
Thanks Tane.
A couple of beauties there Steve. Ones I'd be proud to own.
Quite a few more Carson City Morgans than you would expect Tane. Just generally less than the other mints, except 1893.
I love the Carson City ones because it is the wild west. Apart from the ones in the vaults, you could be holding one held by gamblers or gunslingers. That makes them a bit popular also.
https://learn.apmex.com/learning-guide/coin-collecting/morgan-dollar-mintages-1878-2021/
Lovely coins
[quote="gweidion" pid='130944' dateline='1781179728']
Hey Tane. I managed to get a 1882 CC and an 1883 CC GSA holdered ones back when they were abundant and got both graded in their holders.
I think they cost about $250 and $300 at the time when the Aussie dollar was higher than the US dollar.
I would have loved more, but even that was stretching the friendship.
I really need to dig them out to ogle them again. If I do, I'll try to put some pics up.
[/quote]
I get the feeling, you may be just a wee bit older than me, they were like selling those coins around 1982, long before I had even got my first Britannia penny as a child (It was some 1898 or 1899 one in 1985, I was 9 and called it Grandma).
Quote from: 'Tanecoins' pid='130974' dateline='1781938215'I get the feeling, you may be just a wee bit older than me, they were like selling those coins around 1982, long before I had even got my first Britannia penny as a child (It was some 1898 or 1899 one in 1985, I was 9 and called it Grandma).
I've got close to 15 years on you I believe, so yeah, a wee bit older. Didn't you recently turn 50? What I would give to be 50 again.
May as well keep dreaming.
I'm 67, and not sure I would want to go back to being 50. Certainly the body was much healthier then. I was training in karate most days, and had just received my black belt, but having to face another 17 years of work again, no way. I'll just fade away into retirement.
This is why I love numismatics, it keeps you YOUNG and you can feel YOUNG. In any other space I am an old 50 old. In a coin club or stamp club, I could be wearing nappies and they drink tea while they give me chocolate milk and fairy bread!
Okay. I was digging through the safe for something else and dragged these out.
Box
https://ibb.co/p66ym0WG
Inside box
https://ibb.co/Z1YPxGVD
Certificate
https://ibb.co/ynJmP28b
1882 CC Cased
https://ibb.co/0RdsGHg4
Liberty
https://ibb.co/tMzpVdZZ
Eagle
https://ibb.co/6Rzyht1b
1883 CC Cased
https://ibb.co/nMR38PKs
Liberty
https://ibb.co/0SG5v2h
Eagle
https://ibb.co/jPmfWMRX
Damn, what a process. Got to be an easier way.
I haven't put up the other box, inside and certificate as they are mostly identical except for numbering.
I am lost for words, those are completely stunning - the lustre and the detail.
Real treasures worth a thousand or so at least each. MS64 is a very high grade for coins hidden in a vault.
Some 66s and 67s were unearth from the vaults. Maybe even higher. Mostly they were other mint marks though. They literally had hundreds of thousands of coins in storage.
These two cost me between 2 and 3 hundred each, quite a few years ago. I was pretty happy to pay that.
This is my set (so far)
https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/u-s-coins/dollars/morgan-dollars-major-varieties-circulation-strikes-1878-1921/album/88714
I doubt I will ever complete it.
Stunning coins Gweidion. Pra666 I can't view your coins, I just get "gateway time out". I might have to try later.
OK, I rebooted my computer, and now it works. That's an awesome collection Pra666, and I love the presentation.
View opens up ok for me 10.19am.
Fred
Wow, all of that stuff was like MS64 to MS67 - Just crazy, those coins are worth thousands each. Yet I notice many of the common dates are missing.
Quote from: 'pra666' pid='130992' dateline='1782508910'This is my set (so far)
https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/u-s-coins/dollars/morgan-dollars-major-varieties-circulation-strikes-1878-1921/album/88714
I doubt I will ever complete it.
Just took the time to go through your lovely collection. You certainly have some superb Morgans, especially the early years.
I would definitely love some of those.
And I have also given up trying to complete my collection. Unless I win a significant lotto amount.
Just for interest sake, who assigned the grades?
Hi gweidion, They were graded by PCGS. While I did buy a few raw and sent them there for grading, most I bought already graded from places such as David Lawrence Rare Coins and Heritage and few others. I went on a spending spree when the Australian dollar was at its peak - even higher than the US dollar.
Quote from: 'pra666' pid='131015' dateline='1782869237'Hi gweidion, They were graded by PCGS. While I did buy a few raw and sent them there for grading, most I bought already graded from places such as David Lawrence Rare Coins and Heritage and few others. I went on a spending spree when the Australian dollar was at its peak - even higher than the US dollar.
I remember the good old days when we were getting $1.10 US to the Aussie dollar. I also bought most of my Morgans then, although hardly any are as nice as yours.
I beg to differ, the CC's are stunners. After seeing all this Morgan goodness, I know I have a long way to go with my basic batch of Morgies.