Australian-Coins Forum

World Coins, Banknotes and Exonumia => World Coins => Topic started by: Heyman_526 on May 21, 2022, 04:48:33 PM

Title: Coin catalogue
Post by: Heyman_526 on May 21, 2022, 04:48:33 PM
Good evening ladies and gentlemen I was wondering if I could get some help please? 


I have recently received a coin catalogue from a coin dealer, and there are couple of coins that I am looking at, and I was just wondering if I can please get some more information about them before I buy? Some are Australian currency and some are American. I haven't ever bought or collected world coins before so I'm looking at starting, and I would just like to find out more about them really and what there value may be currently and moving forward. Hopefully I am in the right place.

The coins that I am looking at are 
2022 Apex Preditor 5oz silver proof 
1964 USA Kennedy Silver half dollar 
USA $1 Star note


All are in uncirculated condition any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much for your time and assistance.
Title: RE: Coin catalogue
Post by: Mister T on May 21, 2022, 07:10:39 PM
Condition is usually very important. The 2022 proof will be unlikely to be found in any other condition than as sold. The other two will come in all sorts of conditions but I think they are both common regardless.
Title: RE: Coin catalogue
Post by: gweidion on May 22, 2022, 07:40:45 PM
The US prints so many notes it may as well be toilet paper unless it is pristine uncirculated. Surprisingly some people (fools) were paying $50 plus for recent (2000s) US 1 and 2 dollar notes on the Roxbury auction today. Admittedly they were graded but that is still WAY too much.

A lot of Kennedy half dollars too. Like Mr T says, condition is everything.
This site will give you some idea of what NGC graded Kennedy half dollars are supposedly worth but the caveat being the prices are in US dollars. And this is after someone has paid about $20 US dollars to grade the coin.

https://www.ngccoin.com/price-guide/united-states/half-dollars/44/

Like one of the other members says, you have to buy what makes you happy. Some idiot (me) paid $1500 (plus buyers premium) for a 1885 Carson City Morgan dollar grades MS65 from Downies this week.
Title: RE: Coin catalogue
Post by: Heyman_526 on May 22, 2022, 09:26:39 PM
Quote from: 'gweidion' pid='126344' dateline='1653214245'The US prints so many notes it may as well be toilet paper unless it is pristine uncirculated. Surprisingly some people (fools) were paying $50 plus for recent (2000s) US 1 and 2 dollar notes on the Roxbury auction today. Admittedly they were graded but that is still WAY too much.

A lot of Kennedy half dollars too. Like Mr T says, condition is everything.
This site will give you some idea of what NGC graded Kennedy half dollars are supposedly worth but the caveat being the prices are in US dollars. And this is after someone has paid about $20 US dollars to grade the coin.

https://www.ngccoin.com/price-guide/united-states/half-dollars/44/

Like one of the other members says, you have to buy what makes you happy. Some idiot (me) paid $1500 (plus buyers premium) for a 1885 Carson City Morgan dollar grades MS65 from Downies this week.

Thank you very much for your insight it may be better to steer clear from USA coins at this stage because they would have made a lot of them.

I'm sorry about that Carson city Morgan dollar hopefully it increases in value.

The May issue of the Downies catalogue is actually what I was looking to purchase through,
From memory the Kennedy half dollar was $35 the star was $20 and the 5oz silver was about $600 .999 silver 1 of 500.

Just trying to figure out pricing at the moment. Will the buyer's premium affect me in this case? Hopefully shipping isn't expensive.

Thank you very much again.
Title: RE: Coin catalogue
Post by: gweidion on May 23, 2022, 08:00:32 PM
If I was you I'd be more inclined to buy 5 oz of silver in a bar rather than a coin. Way too much premium on the silver coins.
Silver is currently $31.12 Aus per ounce. You can buy a 5oz Ainslie Silver Bullion for $194 AUD and save $400 on that coin.

If you are buying from a catalogue there is no buyers premium, that only applies to auctions.

And I was perfectly happy paying $1830 for that beautiful Carson City relic of the wild west. Morgan dollars are a weakness of mine.
Title: RE: Coin catalogue
Post by: Basilstate on May 23, 2022, 08:39:25 PM
Quote from: 'gweidion' pid='126347' dateline='1653301832'If I was you I'd be more inclined to buy 5 oz of silver in a bar rather than a coin. Way too much premium on the silver coins.
Silver is currently $31.12 Aus per ounce. You can buy a 5oz Ainslie Silver Bullion for $194 AUD and save $400 on that coin.

Yes,good advice,Gold will drag Silver up to the projected A$50 oz ball park figure over the next 5-10 years,well maybe.
Title: RE: Coin catalogue
Post by: Heyman_526 on June 16, 2022, 02:32:49 PM
I have one more question if I may? The 2012 remembrance red poppy $2 coin, I have one in circulated condition and I am looking at buying another one and I am just wondering what they are worth in uncirculated condition? Thank you
Title: RE: Coin catalogue
Post by: JeffH on June 16, 2022, 06:12:02 PM
Having sold a lot of them at the markets for, what I thought was a good price, I kicked myself when I saw what they were fetching a year later. Still get people ringing up asking if I have any more. They were with the RSL card.
Recent eBay sales (https://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=2012+red+poppy+2+coin&_sacat=58520&rt=nc&LH_Sold=1&LH_Complete=1)
Title: RE: Coin catalogue
Post by: Triggersmob on June 16, 2022, 06:54:41 PM
Check out what the C mint mark is going for too.
Glad I have one of those.
Title: RE: Coin catalogue
Post by: Mister T on June 16, 2022, 07:24:48 PM
Quote from: 'JeffH' pid='126450' dateline='1655368922'Having sold a lot of them at the markets for, what I thought was a good price, I kicked myself when I saw what they were fetching a year later. Still get people ringing up asking if I have any more. They were with the RSL card.
Recent eBay sales (https://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=2012+red+poppy+2+coin&_sacat=58520&rt=nc&LH_Sold=1&LH_Complete=1)

Wow, $200+ - I think we all should have bought more and held on to them.
Title: RE: Coin catalogue
Post by: gweidion on June 17, 2022, 01:43:37 PM
I'm surprised you found a circulated one. When the RSL was selling them they were $15 which included a $10 donation that you couldn't claim against your tax. To find one in circulation means someone paid $15 for $2 to use. And that is not counting what the "market" value is. What a loss.
Title: RE: Coin catalogue
Post by: Heyman_526 on June 18, 2022, 11:03:16 PM
Quote from: 'gweidion' pid='126456' dateline='1655439217'I'm surprised you found a circulated one. When the RSL was selling them they were $15 which included a $10 donation that you couldn't claim against your tax. To find one in circulation means someone paid $15 for $2 to use. And that is not counting what the "market" value is. What a loss.

Yeah I'm not sure I think someone gave it to me.

I also got a firefighters coin in some change which was cool
Title: RE: Coin catalogue
Post by: Basilstate on June 19, 2022, 08:50:25 AM
Quote from: 'Mister T' pid='126452' dateline='1655373288'
Quote from: 'JeffH' pid='126450' dateline='1655368922'Having sold a lot of them at the markets for, what I thought was a good price, I kicked myself when I saw what they were fetching a year later. Still get people ringing up asking if I have any more. They were with the RSL card.
Recent eBay sales (https://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=2012+red+poppy+2+coin&_sacat=58520&rt=nc&LH_Sold=1&LH_Complete=1)

Wow, $200+ - I think we all should have bought more and held on to them.

Yes,i only got 4,there was a 2 folder limit from the Qld RSL,our local RSL's on the North Coast of NSW didn't participate unfortunately. I sold them at $50-$60,i thought it was a Ebay feeding frenzy that wouldn't last like the 2001 CoF  Coins.
:@
Quote from: 'gweidion' pid='126456' dateline='1655439217'I'm surprised you found a circulated one. When the RSL was selling them they were $15 which included a $10 donation that you couldn't claim against your tax. To find one in circulation means someone paid $15 for $2 to use. And that is not counting what the "market" value is. What a loss. 

My local TAB manager collects Coins for me,he has picked up 3 in circulation over the years,unfortunately he has kept them for himself....Sad.
Title: RE: Coin catalogue
Post by: gweidion on June 20, 2022, 07:33:11 PM
Well you have to be realistic. If he can sell a crappy one for $50 plus, why would he give them to you for $2. Only people who don't know, would. And did you see the beaten up Coronation $2 that sold on eBag recently. Looked like it had three rounds with a lawnmower and some person (fool) paid $36 for it PLUS postage.
Title: RE: Coin catalogue
Post by: Mister T on June 23, 2022, 07:40:50 PM
Oddly I remember the RSL stand at my local shopping centre selling the $2 coins with no limits - I guess they didn't sell them all the previous year!
Title: RE: Coin catalogue
Post by: gweidion on June 24, 2022, 04:25:55 PM
My RSL was selling them at the shopping centre as well. That was the year of issue though. As far as I can remember there was no limit either but they were hard pushed selling them at $15 when you couldn't claim the tax deduction, which seemed a bit rude.
I think that is why rolls of them turned up some time later. Ones they couldn't sell were sent to Prosegur to be sent to banks but some canny collectors managed to get a hold of them. To buy them by the roll would have cost $375 otherwise.
I honestly didn't think they would be worth much because there was going to be 500,000 near perfect specimens. Way more than legitimate collectors would want.
Speculators put pay to that.