Australian-Coins Forum

Australian Coins, Banknotes and Exonumia => Australian Errors and Varieties => Topic started by: Gunny on October 14, 2020, 06:42:01 PM

Title: Very unusual 50 cent coin
Post by: Gunny on October 14, 2020, 06:42:01 PM
Hello all, my wife brought home this very unusual 50 cent coin, I had been noodling hundreds of dollars of various denominations of late and my wife brings home a half a dozen coins and this was in them.  I don't believe it's PMD, as I have another 50 cent coin of the same year, (1975) with the same flaw to the top.  I'd appreciate any views that people have. [attachment=3978][attachment=3977][attachment=3976]
Title: RE: Very unusual 50 cent coin
Post by: Nevol on October 15, 2020, 08:27:14 AM
Looks like someone tried to bend it in a vise, but didn't have much luck at it. Sorry but my opinion is that it's PMD. 

People do some really weird things to coins.
Title: RE: Very unusual 50 cent coin
Post by: Basil on October 15, 2020, 08:58:55 AM
Yes,probably PMD.
Title: RE: Very unusual 50 cent coin
Post by: Unicorn on October 15, 2020, 02:58:11 PM
I'd like some clearer closer pics. The outer looks good, (not deformed) .... and there appears to be a void in two sections. Clearer pics would really really help. It could be a cracker, bit without closer pics of the two void areas (to see the legend etc) it is a hard call.
Title: RE: Very unusual 50 cent coin
Post by: Gunny on October 17, 2020, 10:01:33 AM
Quote from: 'Gunny' pid='123550' dateline='1602663121'Hello all, my wife brought home this very unusual 50 cent coin, I had been noodling hundreds of dollars of various denominations of late and my wife brings home a half a dozen coins and this was in them.  I don't believe it's PMD, as I have another 50 cent coin of the same year, (1975) with the same flaw to the top.  I'd appreciate any views that people have. 

Hello Nevol, I've been over the coin with strong magnifying glasses, I don't have a USB microscope as yet. I'm quite confident that the "fault"at the top of the coin is genuine, as I have another 1975 50 cent coin with the same fault.  There are also multiple marks that I believe to be "struck through", as well. Unicorn has asked for better photos and I'm in the process of trying to do these so as to give everyone a better look at the holes that are in the surface of the coin.  I've had a really good look at the coin and I see no indication that it has been held in a vice and tried to be bent.  Hopefully better photos will let everyone make a true decision
Title: RE: Very unusual 50 cent coin
Post by: Nevol on October 17, 2020, 11:26:37 AM
Sorry, but no matter how the marks were caused, I'd bet London to a brick that it did not leave the mint in that condition.

The question that needs to be considered is how/what would/could cause this damage to a coin before it left the mint.  

Just the fact that there are 2 areas of damage (almost) exactly opposite each other is an indication that they were man made, after it left the mint, so PMD.
Title: RE: Very unusual 50 cent coin
Post by: Gunny on October 18, 2020, 02:37:44 PM
Hello Unicorn, 
          With some help from my daughter,(all of it) we have taken these photos of the coin in question. Hopefully they are what you have in mind.  The photo of coin 2 is another reverse of a 1975, 50 cent coin that I found only a couple of months ago, we have included this photo to try and eliminate the thought of it being PMD.  I admire your photography work and was wondering would you mind telling me the setup that you use please.  I look forward to your response.  Gunny

[attachment=3981][attachment=3982][attachment=3980][attachment=3979][attachment=3983]
Title: RE: Very unusual 50 cent coin
Post by: Mister T on October 19, 2020, 07:58:38 AM
It does look like a lamination flaw on the top of the reverse but the hole on the right of the obverse looks like damage... maybe (it's really hard to tell).
Title: RE: Very unusual 50 cent coin
Post by: fred lever on October 19, 2020, 08:38:51 AM
Gee, Gunny,  that coin looks like it has had a belting and is "road kill".

What would help is not close ups of particular areas but a hi resolution whole  coin shot of both sides to get an overall assessment.
In particular to see if impact marks on one side reflect impacts in line on the other side.

In the end it would have to be an "in the hand" look to be sure.

Fred.
Title: RE: Very unusual 50 cent coin
Post by: Unicorn on October 19, 2020, 09:32:50 AM
I'm with Fred & Mr T on this one Gunny, I feel it may well be a really bad planchet with a lot of voids struck through but you'd really have to have it in your hand to be able to tell for sure. The circulation damage to the rim only makes it harder.
Title: RE: Very unusual 50 cent coin
Post by: Gunny on October 19, 2020, 03:25:55 PM
Quote from: 'Unicorn' pid='123602' dateline='1603062170'I'm with Fred & Mr T on this one Gunny, I feel it may well be a really bad planchet with a lot of voids struck through but you'd really have to have it in your hand to be able to tell for sure. The circulation damage to the rim only makes it harder.

Thank you all for your thoughts on my 50 cent coin. If any of you were to attend a coin show/ fair in Brisbane, I'd be more than happy to bring it along for you to see it " in hand".  In the meantime I'll continue to keep noodling, looking for another coin of interest to add to my collection ??
Title: RE: Very unusual 50 cent coin
Post by: JeffH on October 19, 2020, 05:35:35 PM
That's the spirit. And if you go to a coin show take it along and show it for opinions.
Title: RE: Very unusual 50 cent coin
Post by: fred lever on October 20, 2020, 06:39:12 AM
Gunny, keep looking and finding!
Thats how you learn about coins and find the next 2000 mule!
Fred.
Title: RE: Very unusual 50 cent coin
Post by: Gunny on October 20, 2020, 09:59:05 AM
Quote from: 'fred lever' pid='123612' dateline='1603138152'Gunny, keep looking and finding!
Thats how you learn about coins and find the next 2000 mule!
Fred.

Thanks Fred and everyone else. I found my first mule in 2007 and then went 13 years before I found another one. I estimated I noodled at least 100,000 $1 coins to find that first one.  It was only a couple of months ago that I found my first and only 1985 rabbit eared $1 coin.  I thought I was chasing a myth there. I did read on a post, not too sure from who that they are probably more scarce than the 2000 mule.  I currently noodle about $1800 worth of coin a week in all denominations and am thinking I'll try a post at the end of the month to show people what I have found.  Thanks for the words of encouragement and advice from you all.  Happy noodling
Title: RE: Very unusual 50 cent coin
Post by: Unicorn on October 20, 2020, 02:11:39 PM
Top job Gunny! I've always held the same thought on the 1985 rabbit ears, though it's such a shame it's a different type of error. Mule count is 9 .... 85 rabbit ears 2. Just for the stats! Keep up the good work!
Title: RE: Very unusual 50 cent coin
Post by: Ozcoins on October 22, 2020, 03:34:51 PM
I am also leaning towards"genuine error" for those photos.