Yeah, guess who's trying to work out his bits again .........
I found some old threads about this question but the images were gone and some of the links go to 404 errors now. Bugga.
Anyhow, this 1942M Threepence has the Renniks die crack to last A in Australia (V.Scarce ...... ie: more common than Rare).
Question is though is the doubling on THREEPENCE a recut (I think maybe so) or doubling? (Machine or Hub). I've found another example with the same crack and "doubling" on the bay and they say doubling .....
Thoughts would be appreciated as always.
[font='Trebuchet MS', Verdana, Geneva, Arial, sans-serif](https://www.australian-coins.net/gallery/albums/userpics/11067/111/1942_m.jpg)[/font]
[font='Trebuchet MS', Verdana, Geneva, Arial, sans-serif](https://www.australian-coins.net/gallery/albums/userpics/11067/111/1942_m_dbl.jpg)[/font]
Did Australian mints ever recut dies for the pre decimals? Looks like machine doubling to me. If you find another example with the A diecrack but different/no doubling then it can be confirmed as machine doubling.
Hi Uni, nice example of a hubbing error. Dies did not get "cut" in any way in mass production of pre-decimal coins . Dies and hubs were always Pressing operations. "Cutting" or engraving was a very skilled operation and part of a Craft. I just think of guys like Stuart Devlin for instance in association with coins in making the original designs by hand cutting, but "cutting " coining dies, nope. Making hubs and dies and coins was a Engineering exercise in the heavy workshop and pressing the method. Jumping from the original size master design may have been a "cutting" job in a reduction mill, to get to the "Master" Die and a master engraver at the Devlin level to clean it up. After that its a "hubbing" press operation by the boys in the factory. I see the word "hobbing" used occasionally but if I ever "hobbed" a thing it was in the mill with a cutting wheel and cutting a spline or a gear.
Yes, for the pedants like myself, some direct "cutting" may have been done on some dies, like carving bits of design off to fit in different dates but that was desperate stuff. Hence the buggered tre-foils on mid thirtys silver. Putting in different numbers was always a punching job with hand punches mostly on a hub and a lot hand aimed by the results we see.
Fred.
Thanks heaps guys! I really appreciate it.
Quote from: 'Unicorn' pid='121041' dateline='1578084473'Thanks heaps guys! I really appreciate it.
Hey Folks, Have a look at this .. looks similar to me ..
(https://www.australian-coins.net/gallery/albums/userpics/11172/403/20200104_165327.jpg)
Looks to be the same diecrack. Slight difference in the doubling as the slabbed coin shows no sign of doubling on TH when the OP coin has doubling on TH. So both coins have mechanical doubling.
Quote from: 'nealeffendi' pid='121055' dateline='1578142844'Looks to be the same diecrack. Slight difference in the doubling as the slabbed coin shows no sign of doubling on TH when the OP coin has doubling on TH. So both coins have mechanical doubling.
Thanks Neal.
Thanks Ausproofs :good: