Australian-Coins Forum

Numismatic Discussion => Coin and Banknote Grading => Topic started by: frenc11 on June 26, 2019, 01:30:45 AM

Title: Common date predecimals , below MS 64 are worthless
Post by: frenc11 on June 26, 2019, 01:30:45 AM
it seems common date predecimals graded below MS 63 or lower  especially elizabeths and george the 6th's are pretty much worthless
Title: RE: Common date predecimals , below MS 64 are worthless
Post by: nealeffendi on June 26, 2019, 08:56:28 PM
For some coins anything below MS 66-67 is virtually worthless. I've picked up a number of 1964 threepences in MS67 and my max is $20. 1943D threepence I've picked up a few around $60 in MS66, several 1962 sixpence in MS67 under $60 etc.
Title: RE: Common date predecimals , below MS 64 are worthless
Post by: frenc11 on June 26, 2019, 09:13:01 PM
Quote from: 'nealeffendi' pid='119674' dateline='1561548388'For some coins anything below MS 66-67 is virtually worthless. I've picked up a number of 1964 threepences in MS67 and my max is $20. 1943D threepence I've picked up a few around $60 in MS66, several 1962 sixpence in MS67 under $60 etc.
nice pick ups at those prices
Title: RE: Common date predecimals , below MS 64 are worthless
Post by: ausproofs on June 26, 2019, 10:47:00 PM
I agree, even some of the rare coins go for cheaper prices.. Some of the coins are not worth the effort and the cost to put on slabs ..
Title: RE: Common date predecimals , below MS 64 are worthless
Post by: Triggersmob on June 27, 2019, 07:17:17 AM
Great, I will collect MS62s then. :)
Title: RE: Common date predecimals , below MS 64 are worthless
Post by: frenc11 on August 25, 2026, 10:25:00 PM
i cant believe there are recalcitrant
 dealers out there who dont believe in slabs
Title: RE: Common date predecimals , below MS 64 are worthless
Post by: Basilstate on August 26, 2026, 08:47:36 AM
Quote from: 'frenc11' pid='131136' dateline='1787662500'i cant believe there are recalcitrant
 dealers out there who dont believe in slabs

Old guard think its just a rip off for consumers,extra cost is not warranted in many cases.

I think slabs are a good way of preserving a Coin in the era of Chinese fakes but we need a Oz. based PCGS/NGC to lower costs.
Title: RE: Common date predecimals , below MS 64 are worthless
Post by: gweidion on August 26, 2026, 01:44:48 PM
Quote from: 'Basilstate' pid='131137' dateline='1787699856'Old guard think its just a rip off for consumers,extra cost is not warranted in many cases.

I think slabs are a good way of preserving a Coin in the era of Chinese fakes but we need a Oz. based PCGS/NGC to lower costs.

Absolutely. I've been pushing for that for ages. They don't seem to be interested as idiots like me still keep sending coins and banknotes to the US to be graded.
Title: RE: Common date predecimals , below MS 64 are worthless
Post by: Tanecoins on August 29, 2026, 10:52:01 AM
I agree, slab only rare coins like 1923 Halfpennies and 1930 Pennies or the 1934/35 Florins if they are ultra high grade.

Many 1950s and 1960s silver can be picked up AU or UNC for not much over melt price, especially with how high silver is at the moment.
Title: RE: Common date predecimals , below MS 64 are worthless
Post by: JeffH on August 31, 2026, 06:29:03 AM
Quote from: 'Tanecoins' pid='131162' dateline='1787966521'I agree, slab only rare coins like 1923 Halfpennies and 1930 Pennies or the 1934/35 Florins if they are ultra high grade.

Many 1950s and 1960s silver can be picked up AU or UNC for not much over melt price, especially with how high silver is at the moment.

How many of those rare coins do you have in ultra high grade?
Title: RE: Common date predecimals , below MS 64 are worthless
Post by: gweidion on August 31, 2026, 08:47:50 PM
I have a 34/35 florin that is MS65 if I recall correctly.
Never been a penny collector.
Title: RE: Common date predecimals , below MS 64 are worthless
Post by: autocoupler on August 31, 2026, 10:29:11 PM
You've done well. There was one of these in similar grade at the most recent Roxbury"s auction. It sold for serious money.
Title: RE: Common date predecimals , below MS 64 are worthless
Post by: gweidion on September 01, 2026, 01:11:19 PM
How serious is serious? I paid about $650 for mine iirc.
Title: RE: Common date predecimals , below MS 64 are worthless
Post by: autocoupler on September 01, 2026, 10:29:52 PM
Sorry, it was a MS66. $2318 including commission.