Australian-Coins Forum

Australian Coins, Banknotes and Exonumia => Australian Decimal Circulating Coins => Topic started by: rollycoins on September 25, 2018, 06:38:31 PM

Title: Year 2000 $1 Mob of Roo Rolls
Post by: rollycoins on September 25, 2018, 06:38:31 PM
Hello everyone, I've just been wondering, since the $1 coins were first introduced in 1984, they've been released in RAM/RBA/security rolls and then later in sealed bags as well. I'm referring to rolls or bags of fully uncirculated coins. 

For the year of 2000, I've seen examples of rolls of most of the other denominations for sale but somehow there has never been a sale of a year 2000 $1 Mob of roo roll or bag. Does anyone happen to know how the coins were released that year or has an example of a roll/bag in their collection? Thanks!
Title: RE: Year 2000 $1 Mob of Roo Rolls
Post by: brismike on September 25, 2018, 11:05:54 PM
A Roll of Mules would be a good find :)

Mike
Title: RE: Year 2000 $1 Mob of Roo Rolls
Post by: Unicorn on September 26, 2018, 07:18:39 AM
I thought I'd seen a roll of 2000s on ebay a few years back, so I'm pretty sure they exist. Most would have been opened no doubt. The one I saw for sale "looked" like it may have been opened and resealed at one end.  :whistle2:
Title: RE: Year 2000 $1 Mob of Roo Rolls
Post by: runway on September 26, 2018, 08:25:39 PM
I have never seen one auctioned since 2004
Title: RE: Year 2000 $1 Mob of Roo Rolls
Post by: rollycoins on September 27, 2018, 10:26:34 AM
Ah okay. Thanks for the information! I've been looking for one for a while and have never seen any. Guess they're still hiding somewhere!
Title: RE: Year 2000 $1 Mob of Roo Rolls
Post by: Unicorn on September 27, 2018, 10:43:37 AM
:laugh2: .... hiding ..... maybe ...... I know if I had one it would be opened long ago!!
Title: RE: Year 2000 $1 Mob of Roo Rolls
Post by: rollycoins on May 20, 2019, 11:12:27 AM
So after my last post, I went about searching for this elusive roll and recently got my hands on one. It has a tear down one side but besides that looks alright to me. What are everyone's opinions in terms of the genuinity of the roll? 

I had these questions:

1. Paper of the roll - have those who previously come across the 2000 $1 rolls remember them being packaged in plain rolls or were they labelled security roll paper? Paper looks legit to me as compared to the current plain rolls you get occasionally. The paper on this roll is less refined or smooth if you like, compared to the modern ones which made me trust it a little more. 

2. Ends of the roll - any of the ends look suspicious to have been re-rolled to you guys?

Thanks everyone!

(https://www.australian-coins.net/gallery/albums/userpics/11604/477/IMG_2944.jpg)

(https://www.australian-coins.net/gallery/albums/userpics/11604/477/IMG_2943.jpg)

(https://www.australian-coins.net/gallery/albums/userpics/11604/477/IMG_2948.jpg)

(https://www.australian-coins.net/gallery/albums/userpics/11604/477/IMG_2947.jpg)

(https://www.australian-coins.net/gallery/albums/userpics/11604/477/IMG_2946.jpg)

(https://www.australian-coins.net/gallery/albums/userpics/11604/477/IMG_2945.jpg)
Title: RE: Year 2000 $1 Mob of Roo Rolls
Post by: Unicorn on May 20, 2019, 06:34:25 PM
Geez I hope you're on a winner there Rolly!

Are you going to open it?
Title: RE: Year 2000 $1 Mob of Roo Rolls
Post by: runway on May 23, 2019, 09:38:03 PM
Re rolled 100% and the paper is suss no security company logo even
Title: RE: Year 2000 $1 Mob of Roo Rolls
Post by: Basil on May 24, 2019, 09:27:41 AM
Yeah,its a gamble for sure.
Title: RE: Year 2000 $1 Mob of Roo Rolls
Post by: runway on May 24, 2019, 09:12:45 PM
Personally I wouldn't buy a roll that old now there is too many scammers who re roll these days
Title: RE: Year 2000 $1 Mob of Roo Rolls
Post by: interest on May 25, 2019, 08:50:24 AM
depends on the price, now at face value I would certainly buy it. LOL
Title: RE: Year 2000 $1 Mob of Roo Rolls
Post by: Basil on May 25, 2019, 10:07:56 AM
Quote from: 'interest' pid='119466' dateline='1558740024'depends on the price, now at face value I would certainly buy it. LOL

That's the only way,i purchased a Roll of 2001 Norfolk Island 20c Federation Coins in the early 2000's,there were 2 NI coins at each end and the rest ordinary circulated 20c so the weight was correct.
It was  machine rolled so the scammer had access to a machine of some sort,Seller claimed he didn't know and refunded  the purchase price and let me keep the 4 NI Coins in  lieu of postage so worked out OK in the end but i thought i was down a $110,if i hadn't cracked the roll to make up sets it still would be still sitting here.
Jungle out there.
Title: RE: Year 2000 $1 Mob of Roo Rolls
Post by: runway on May 27, 2019, 09:18:41 PM
Quote from: 'Basil' pid='119468' dateline='1558744676'
Quote from: 'interest' pid='119466' dateline='1558740024'depends on the price, now at face value I would certainly buy it. LOL

That's the only way,i purchased a Roll of 2001 Norfolk Island 20c Federation Coins in the early 2000's,there were 2 NI coins at each end and the rest ordinary circulated 20c so the weight was correct.
It was  machine rolled so the scammer had access to a machine of some sort,Seller claimed he didn't know and refunded  the purchase price and let me keep the 4 NI Coins in  lieu of postage so worked out OK in the end but i thought i was down a $110,if i hadn't cracked the roll to make up sets it still would be still sitting here.
Jungle out there.

I still see many of these rolls on eBay and a major dealer in both 20c and 50c for outrageous prices
my advice is steer away