I don't know whether anyone's noticed this, but the 2016 serial numbers are now available on the RBA website.
Here they are:
$5: AA16-EJ16; 0000001-4063626; Stevens/Fraser
$50: AA16-DA16; 999999-322672; Stevens/Fraser
Source: http://banknotes.rba.gov.au/resources/for-collectors/serial-numbers/
Good work Hercules :good:
Pedro
It's easy to see why they switched to 7-digit serial numbers. If they hadn't done so, the last prefix would have been YF16 (if the second letter went from A-K) or XF (if the second letter went from A-M). This would have been okay for $5 notes, but it would have been a disaster once they got up to the $50s, and would have required them to move into the test note range.
Last year saw a record 219 million $5 notes printed, almost double what they did in 1992 and 1995 individually, and roughly equal to what they did in both years combined. There are just over 4 million new $5 notes with each prefix, so I highly doubt the first and last prefixes will ever be worth more than face value. :(
Quote from: 'Hercules' pid='108380' dateline='1494207524'I don't know whether anyone's noticed this, but the 2016 serial numbers are now available on the RBA website.
Thanks for that. I've updated the Banknote Prefixes PDF:
http://fulvio55.altervista.org/
So, a million more sheets than announced, give or take. Wanna bet the same thing happens with the $10's?
And still no real sign of the 2014 and 2015 $5. I only ever saw the one, and now thoroughly regret not grabbing it, even in the condition it was in. :(
Quote from: 'Fulvio' pid='108774' dateline='1495363652'I only ever saw the one
Which one? 2014 or 2015?
Quote from: 'Hercules' pid='108782' dateline='1495370523'Which one? 2014 or 2015?
2015
Did the 2014 $5s ever see the light of day? I haven't seen any for sale on Ebay. Were they all destroyed?
Pedro
I suspect they will be destroyed, and I'm disappointed that no one on this forum was able to persuade the RBA to hand some over to collectors. The 2015 one probably came from a collector's album, because I can't see any strong evidence that they were actually released into circulation. According to my noodling stats, half the 2013 batch will never see the light of day, so why should they suddenly jump to 2015?
Quote from: 'Hercules' pid='108794' dateline='1495412615'The 2015 one probably came from a collector's album, because I can't see any strong evidence that they were actually released into circulation.
There's nothing significant about the number, and the condition was worse than I would have expected if it came out of an album. Did they even release albums?
(http://i.imgur.com/G8Lqu5m.jpg)
Yes. You could buy both a 2015 $5 note and a 2016 $5 note in an album/folder for $20 from Australia Post, Downies, and several other places.
PS: All the 2015 $5 notes released in these albums had very high serial numbers, which is what yours is.
Crap. Now I **REALLY** regret not grabbing it when I had the chance. :(
Damn, I've come across around 10 of the 2015 in circulation. Didn't grab any of them. didn't realise they were so rare. It's disappointing the RBA doesn't do their July sale anymore like they used to pre 2014. I used to be able to grab these in UNC condition and pack them away.
Any one seen a 2016 $50 note in circulation yet?
Mister T, I went down to the RBA around a week ago asking about these. They said they might not be circulated and might be destroyed instead.
That's be a shame - I've seen plenty of 2014 ones I think so it could well turn out that way.
Probably best to hold on to any that you find.
The RBA are actually handing out 2009 uncirculated $50. They don't have the later years, so there must still be a stack of 2009 in reserves.
Thanks for that info Jimmy, a few months back I got a consecutive run of new 2009 $50s from a CBA ATM, that certainly explains it!
No 2017 $50 notes were produced by the looks of it now - I suppose some will probably be produced for sets later in the year though?
Still haven't seen a 2016 either, so I guess at this point if they haven't been released they probably never will be.
" I suppose some will probably be produced for sets later in the year though? "
The new $50 note is out in October 2018
Yeah haven't both the $5 and $10 come out in sets with an old note from the previous year?
Maybe a short run of old-style 2017 notes will be produced for that reason.
Quote from: 'MisterĀ T' pid='114514' dateline='1521194665'Yeah haven't both the $5 and $10 come out in sets with an old note from the previous year?
Maybe a short run of old-style 2017 notes will be produced for that reason.
Nah. The sets will come with the 2016 $50 notes. It's possible that some of these notes will be released into circulation before the new note is issued, but don't bet on it. As for the 2017 $50 note, it simply doesn't exist, and probably never will. You've got better chance of finding a thylacine.
Well it's nearly time and I still haven't seen an old style 2016 $50 note - maybe we never will.
Is a 2016 AA note worth keeping?
What denomination Jeff
If it is 2016 it is only either a $5 or a $50.
Loads of fives, near 6 million. Bout 600,000 $50s. I'd keep the $50 if in good condition, I'd keep the $5 if only pristine and don't expect it to be ever worth more than $10.
Sorry, it is $5 and not pristine.
I'd be buying a loaf of bread and a tin of sardines and enjoying that more than a somewhat battered AA 2016 Five Dollar note.
Or put it towards buying an Unc copy. They shouldn't be more than $15 otherwise it is a rip off.
The same can not be said for the 2019 Five Dollar notes. If you can get an AA or an EJ for around $20, as there are only 196149 of each that is a small run even for the old series, I am putting some aside.
And there should be 600000 of the 2018 $5 note. Who knows where the hell they went. That still makes the 2019 $5 a better buy.
And if you can get them from the bank, that is even better.
I just scored a $5 AA 16 note at my local RSL. It's got a few light creases but better than nothingĀ in my collection.