Hi guys
I've got 2 Aussie coins,
1975 20cent with a platypus
I've looked online & believe 1 is Canberra?
I'm no expert, but the two coins look different
All 1975 Australian 20 cent coins were made at the Royal Australian Mint in Canberra.
And :welcome: to the forum by the way.
Quote from: 'Noelos237' pid='102223' dateline='1480715301'All 1975 Australian 20 cent coins were made at the Royal Australian Mint in Canberra.
And :welcome: to the forum by the way.
Thank you love the Aussies!
I thought some where made in London? Called Canberra,
The wave touches the platypus on 1 coin but not the other
To my knowledge, the only 20 cent coin made in London was 1966.
QuoteThe wave touches the platypus on 1 coin but not the other
That was the 1966 -gap with Canberra and touching with London. And, of course, if it has the "wavy" base on the 2 then you are indeed in luck. Very scarce pre-production sample from London.
:welcome: to the ACF. :biggrin:
Some of our 20c coins were minted in the UK, 1966 and 1981 and some 81's were also minted in Canada. There are a few years where the wave swirl does NOT touch the head of the platypus, and some of these are sought out by variety and or error collectors.
More info here:
https://www.australian-coins.net/showthread.php?tid=2379&pid=46307&highlight=gap#pid46307
Grab my Decimal Mintages PDF from my website, http://fulvio55.altervista.org/
About half-way down the page.
And welcome aboard. :)