(http://fulvio.jovianprojects.com.au/coins/160902.2008.005.DieClash.usb/DieClash.jpg)
The easy indicators here are under the leftmost claw of the left front foot, and in the curve of the rear foot left of the 5.
(http://fulvio.jovianprojects.com.au/coins/160902.2008.005.DieClash.usb/RevClaw1.jpg)(http://fulvio.jovianprojects.com.au/coins/160902.2008.005.DieClash.usb/RevClaw2.jpg)
(http://fulvio.jovianprojects.com.au/coins/160902.2008.005.DieClash.usb/Rev5.jpg)
Overlaying the obverse in a merged image indicates there should be plenty of obverse damage too...
(http://fulvio.jovianprojects.com.au/coins/160902.2008.005.DieClash.usb/Merged.jpg)
And sure enough, here's the bridge of the nose, and a couple of spines below the nose. Also note the fat lettering.
(http://fulvio.jovianprojects.com.au/coins/160902.2008.005.DieClash.usb/ObvNose.jpg)
And more doubling around the face, and another bit of clash under the neck,
(http://fulvio.jovianprojects.com.au/coins/160902.2008.005.DieClash.usb/ObvFace.jpg)
(http://fulvio.jovianprojects.com.au/coins/160902.2008.005.DieClash.usb/ObvNeck.jpg)
And finally in the lettering. Also note the double rim. A lot of these coins have either full or partial double rims on one or both sides.
(http://fulvio.jovianprojects.com.au/coins/160902.2008.005.DieClash.usb/ObvAUS.jpg)
Nice :good:
Now for just a little stir :blush2:
Well it's about bloody time you started to actually look at your coins, amazing what you find when you look ey :winkextra:
I have a few die clashes, rim cuds and other errors so one day I'll sort them into different groups as I have 4 of those little bank bags chocka full of 5 cent errors.
Quote from: 'ausjack' pid='96567' dateline='1472765237'I have a few die clashes, rim cuds and other errors so one day I'll sort them into different groups as I have 4 of those little bank bags chocka full of 5 cent errors.
HA! I DO look at them. And then I make piles. And when the piles fall over I fill tubs. And stack them. And then I forget them. Every so often I look at a stack and think I should sort them and move them to secure storage, and then I think this is all too hard... and anyway, there are more stacks to deal with by then. :dodgy:
Mate I hear ya as I have the "all too hard" bouts all the time. Just having a bit of a very rough sort and found 6 die clash, no SD and a few faint one's and an upset 1979 and a few other bits and pieces I'd forgotten I had.
I've taken a few pic's but they're different years and all just the reverse one's :) Sorry they're not so good but hard to get good pic's as you have to take them at different angles.
1987
(http://i66.tinypic.com/bitlj9.jpg)
2004
(http://i67.tinypic.com/2uzw7dc.jpg)
2005
(http://i66.tinypic.com/29m61ir.jpg)
2006
(http://i68.tinypic.com/2dbrkmc.jpg)
2009
(http://i63.tinypic.com/2817gw0.jpg)
(http://i64.tinypic.com/sp7yua.jpg)
(http://i68.tinypic.com/e0n0c6.jpg)
2010
(http://i65.tinypic.com/21afkls.jpg)
(http://i68.tinypic.com/67sawz.jpg)
(http://i68.tinypic.com/zmehpj.jpg)
Absolutely nothing wrong with those in-mages Mate ;good:
Nah they aren't too bad but could be better and would have been better if I could have got all the marks in one shot instead of having to take a few pic's but ya get that on the big jobs :)
Quote from: 'ausjack' pid='96778' dateline='1472868932'1998
(http://i66.tinypic.com/bitlj9.jpg)
I'd call that as a double error. Those look like cuds on the right. Maybe the impact shook a bit of the die loose? :)
These look great. Thanks for sharing.
I take it it's some part of the hair Fulvio as it's a die clash mark like on the 2009 and 2010 and NOT a cud, and it might look different because the die might have rotated slightly and also the angle I've taken the pic.
Thank tania and not a problem, gives you an idea of what and where to look for things like die clash :)
Quote from: 'ausjack' pid='96794' dateline='1472873425'I take it it's some part of the hair
Nope. If you look at the overlay, the foot is in the middle of the hair, which is incused. There's nothing on the obverse die to hit in that area. That applies even with the counterclockwise rotation that moved the bridge of the nose down on the left.
I'm still calling it a second error mate. :)
Yeah, ever thought your overlay might be slightly out :P It is a die clash it is it is it is :cray: Here's a few more pic's where it has that funny wavy bit like her hair and it's not a cud either :(
(http://i67.tinypic.com/261zwp3.jpg)
(http://i64.tinypic.com/2repovn.jpg)
(http://i63.tinypic.com/16beidd.jpg)
As you can see it is incused.
Quote from: 'ausjack' pid='96803' dateline='1472875660'Yeah, ever thought your overlay might be slightly out
As you can see it is incused.
Out?
NEVER!!! I'll see you and your second on the field of honour, sir!
Yeah, OK, those pics are better... I'd still like to know what it hit though... can you find a matching bit of the obverse field?
Ok I will see you on the field of honour, squire :P Where I will kick you square in the nuts :D
Ok we both stuffed up but I was more right than you :winkextra: If you look at the date (that I have now amended) from 1998 to what it actually is 1987, you will see it's a different effigy with a smaller head than your overlay so even though I had the wrong date it's still the same effigy so you were wrong so now I shall wait patiently for my apology because it is her hair :blush2: :angel:
[align=center]DERP!
(http://globecardiffmusic.com/stage/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/dodgy-crumbed.png)[/align]
Yes your overlay was very dodgy :P So by rights you should do three so one for each of the different effigy's, 1966-1984, 1985-1998, 1999-current :ok:
You know I take NO responsibility for my actions but you should know better :mocking:
Actually that would be very handy if you did do one for each effigy to show where die clash can occur :good:
Quote from: 'ausjack' pid='96836' dateline='1472881497'Actually that would be very handy if you did do one for each effigy to show where die clash can occur :good:
Don't think I haven't considered it. But that's a LOT of images, you realise? Every denomination in three effigies, plus the commemoratives. :(
Yes it is so how about just one's for the common 5 cents to start so that's only three, or six images you have to overlay :) I'd do it but I wouldn't know where to start :(
Quote from: 'ausjack' pid='96846' dateline='1472882344'I'd do it but I wouldn't know where to start :(
Maybe I should teach you. :)
Start with images of both sides exactly the same size.
Make duplicate copies to play with.
Open them up in Photoshop.
Flip the one that caused the clash.
Select all and copy.
Paste it into a new layer on the other one.
Set transparency on the layer to 50%.
Rotate the image until it lines up with the marks on the other side.
That's it. Save a copy as a JPG which will flatten it, and keep the PSD file in case you need to fiddle with it some more.
It might be easier if you teach you how to work with burls :)
I tried and I tried and I tried but I can't do it :cray: I have worked out how to flip one of the image but I'll try again later as it's really annoying me.
Great photos of the clashes AJ! :good:
Thank Uni, gee I wish I could work out how to overlay them, one day :)