Australian-Coins Forum

Australian Coins, Banknotes and Exonumia => Australian Banknotes => Topic started by: tooloot on August 31, 2016, 08:24:24 PM

Title: Gap between prefix letters
Post by: tooloot on August 31, 2016, 08:24:24 PM
Got this in my change today. It looks to me like the gap between the two letters in the prefix is further apart than normal. Can anyone tell me if this is a printing error (and hence collectable), or is it nothing? I don't know a lot about errors with notes do I appreciate the advice.

(http://imgur.com/COLSSTU.jpg)
Title: RE: Gap between prefix letters
Post by: ausjack on August 31, 2016, 08:41:33 PM
I had a quick look at feebay and couldn't really tell sorry as you sort of need another note with the same letters, maybe just put it away for a while and see what happens.
Title: RE: Gap between prefix letters
Post by: Fulvio on August 31, 2016, 08:44:43 PM
Quote from: 'tooloot' pid='96401' dateline='1472640864'if this is a printing error (and hence collectable), or is it nothing?

Here's the numbering blocks from the RBA, and a closeup of the sort of mechanism we're talking about...

(http://banknotes.rba.gov.au/assets/images/production-and-distribution/production/serial-numbering.jpg)

(http://www.atlanticzeiser.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/numbering-k20-slider.jpg)

It looks like the spacers have changed. The question is whether this is a temporary aberration or a hardware upgrade, perhaps a change to new blocks with a different setup.

My money would be on this being nothing, but others may have a differing opinion. I'd like to see other notes from the same sheet run, with both the same prefix and different positions in the sheet.
Title: RE: Gap between prefix letters
Post by: ausjack on August 31, 2016, 08:46:05 PM
Here's the couple that I was looking at, hopefully they might be of some help to you.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/10-1997-General-Prefix-Unc-Macfarlane-Evans-R318b-Ten-Australia-Polymer-Note-/182182457381?hash=item2a6aebb025:g:XpMAAOSwmtJXbUck
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/10-1997-First-Prefix-AA97-Unc-R318bF-Ten-Dollars-Australia-Polymer-Banknote-/182029350278?hash=item2a61cb7586:g:AOsAAOSwx-9WxxJK
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/10-1997-Last-Prefix-DF97-R318bL-Ten-Dollars-Australia-Polymer-Banknote-Rare-/172320828599?hash=item281f1f2cb7:g:1-4AAOSwc1FXa-yC
Title: RE: Gap between prefix letters
Post by: Fulvio on August 31, 2016, 08:56:25 PM
Quote from: 'ausjack' pid='96407' dateline='1472642165'Here's the couple that I was looking at

OK, so both top-left and bottom-right corners are normal. Anybody know where CH sits on the sheet? I can't find my chart. :(
Title: RE: Gap between prefix letters
Post by: tooloot on August 31, 2016, 09:16:13 PM
Thanks guys. It does appear that the 1997 prefix letters were more apart than in other years, at least from those eBay listings. Interesting that it was more separated than in other years. Appreciate the continued investigation.
Title: RE: Gap between prefix letters
Post by: ausjack on August 31, 2016, 09:49:03 PM
Sorry we could help more TL.

No idea sorry Fulvio
Title: RE: Gap between prefix letters
Post by: trout on August 31, 2016, 09:49:28 PM
If only that "8" was a "9" then you would have had something special :angel:
Title: RE: Gap between prefix letters
Post by: Mister T on September 01, 2016, 08:20:50 PM
I sometimes look at notes and I see slight width variations like this from time to time but I assume it's just got to do with how the machine is set up.