Australian-Coins Forum

Australian Coins, Banknotes and Exonumia => Australian Errors and Varieties => Topic started by: Nevol on August 09, 2016, 09:31:50 AM

Title: Threepence Varieties
Post by: Nevol on August 09, 2016, 09:31:50 AM
From what I am reading at present, it appears there are supposed to be 2 Types of S on the 1944S Threepence.

If this is a known fact, it's news to me and I'm hoping someone may be able to supply images of the 2 types so I can check my spares for the 2 varieties.

Even a detailed description of what to look for would be good. :beg:

My sources are: Numista; Krause 1901-2000 42nd edition.

In the meantime I'll get my 23 x 1944S coins out and see if I can spot anything.


Wow! It turns out I did know something about these little blighters. I have found 42 of them, some separated from the others & noted with 'blobby' S, but even with a 10 x loupe, I can't see what it's all about, so I'll check them all with the USB. :kez_11:
Title: RE: 1944S Threepence
Post by: trout on August 09, 2016, 10:11:57 AM
It's news to me also Nancy, It will be interesting to see what you find out :good:
These little suckers are too small for my eyes and my cudoscope doesn't want to work on my new laptop :dash1:
Title: RE: 1944S Threepence
Post by: Goldseeker on August 09, 2016, 10:52:17 AM
The photos below are from my pile of spare/surplus 1944S threepences.

The difference that I can see is the thickness of the lettering "S".

Outside of that, I can't see any difference over my 40 odd spares.

(http://www.australian-coins.net/gallery/albums/userpics/10120/1944S_Type_1.jpg)(http://www.australian-coins.net/gallery/albums/userpics/10120/1944S_Type_2.jpg)
Title: RE: 1944S Threepence
Post by: Robster on August 09, 2016, 11:34:53 AM
Nancy, if I recall the s has either no serifs or has serifs on the letter.
Title: RE: 1944S Threepence
Post by: robbiegal on August 09, 2016, 11:45:18 AM
i was wondering that
i looked up my dean book but the images are so ratty that it was hard to figure out from his book
he has the sans serif at 6 times the values of the other serif (but it is not described or named) for the year  just 's' and then sans serif 's'
Title: RE: 1944S Threepence
Post by: Robster on August 09, 2016, 12:45:36 PM
Checked my pool, I have 15 with serifs (top loop of 's' is very thin) whist the other 3 seem to have a thicker loops and a rounder 'bum' on the 's'. Sadly all three of these are damaged :dodgy:
Title: RE: 1944S Threepence
Post by: Nevol on August 09, 2016, 02:11:20 PM
Thanks all!

Now, What I've come up with is main differences between the Serifs in the top row compared to the Blobs in the second row, and also the distance of the S from the ribbon above.

Top row they are quite close to the Ribbon, bottom row, they are more distant from the ribbon.  Shape of the S's are also markedly different.

With their being 32 M of them all up, who knows how many dies were used.

(http://www.australian-coins.net/gallery/albums/userpics/10007/3d_1944S_Trio_1___2_Compare_v2.jpg)
Title: RE: 1944S Threepence
Post by: r9453 on August 09, 2016, 03:03:23 PM
I have Fred Lever's book, he refers to three varieties:

All serif on S
Date variety (thicker/fat 4s)
Letter variety (droop foot 4, S narrow)
Title: RE: 1944S Threepence
Post by: Nevol on August 09, 2016, 03:33:57 PM
Any ideas what the Droop foot 4 looks like?
Title: RE: 1944S Threepence
Post by: r9453 on August 09, 2016, 03:38:07 PM
Quote from: 'Nevol' pid='93957' dateline='1470722637'Any ideas what the Droop foot 4 looks like?

It's pretty much as it sounds, the left side of the foot of second 4 points down to the left.

EDIT: (http://i.imgur.com/04VVqKx.jpg)
Title: RE: 1944S Threepence
Post by: Robster on August 09, 2016, 03:51:57 PM
I have one I noted as 'wide down stroke on first figure 4' (Renniks) with a image code C36A. :idea:
Title: RE: 1944S Threepence
Post by: Nevol on August 09, 2016, 04:55:29 PM
Don't think I have one of those so I can get on with getting the little sods organized. :whistle2:
Title: RE: Threepence Varieties
Post by: Nevol on August 14, 2016, 09:32:47 AM
I have decided to try to keep all my 3d Variety posts & images in one thread, so I have renamed the thread to Threepence Varieties (prev 1944S Threepence)

1942d 3d's also have the MM in different positions.  I am calling the 3 positions, near, far and medium.

(http://www.australian-coins.net/gallery/albums/userpics/10007/3d_1942_D__Multi_x_6.jpg)
Title: RE: Threepence Varieties
Post by: Nevol on August 14, 2016, 10:47:07 AM
These are 1942S Threepences, with the same differences as previous post.

(http://www.australian-coins.net/gallery/albums/userpics/10007/3d_1942S__Multi_x_6.jpg)
Title: RE: Threepence Varieties
Post by: gnome on August 14, 2016, 10:52:25 AM
There are a few threepences that have a nice doubling on the obverses, as well, that aren't listed.
Title: RE: Threepence Varieties
Post by: gnome on October 04, 2016, 01:37:05 PM
Was having a little change around in the threepences and came across a few I had forgotten about. Some interesting little pieces. There is a 1948 3d with a diecrack from the rim to near top of the 4. There is mention of a 1947, but couldn't find the 1948 mentioned.  I also have a 1948 , filled bottom 8, with diecracks from the rim to A,U,A,A, in Australia and rim to P in pence. 1948 3d obverse with diecrack from rim to both dots between G:B and rim to V. 1947 3d rev with a diecrack rim to 7 and 1s E, . 1944 S 3d with a diecrack and large dot/blob on the A. The last one is a 1943 M 3d obverse, with a large dot/blob on the bottom of the second G in George. I  only mentioned these as I didn't find them in the book. I could have just missed them, anyway also found another 1949 with a doubled obverse. :)
Title: RE: Threepence Varieties
Post by: nealeffendi on October 04, 2016, 05:46:24 PM
For the 44S there is also the variety with a decent cud on the foot of the first 4. Also a 44S with DDO. Like most 44S they are both serif S and not that hard to find even in ChUnc.
Title: RE: Threepence Varieties
Post by: gnome on October 11, 2016, 03:21:13 PM
A couple of quick snaps.
This is a 1948 3d double diecrack in between the legs of the V and the dots between G:B, there is also a couple of diecracks on the reverse, P and last E.
(http://www.australian-coins.net/gallery/albums/userpics/10012/DSCF4596_28580x58729.jpg)
(http://www.australian-coins.net/gallery/albums/userpics/10012/DSCF4596.JPG)

1944 S with a pretty big diecrack
(http://www.australian-coins.net/gallery/albums/userpics/10012/DSCF4586.JPG)
1948 3d diecrack to the 4
(http://www.australian-coins.net/gallery/albums/userpics/10012/DSCF4582.JPG)
Title: RE: Threepence Varieties
Post by: Unicorn on October 11, 2016, 03:54:04 PM
Quote from: 'gnome' pid='99804' dateline='1476161473'1944 S with a pretty big diecrack
(http://www.australian-coins.net/gallery/albums/userpics/10012/DSCF4586.JPG)

That's one serious die crack G! :good:
Title: RE: Threepence Varieties
Post by: gnome on October 11, 2016, 04:17:36 PM
Yeah it's a pearler alright. Uni :) Got a few more interesting ones to sort out, need a better piccie setup, though.
Title: RE: Threepence Varieties
Post by: Robster on October 12, 2016, 06:15:44 AM
Very nice examples! :yahoo:
Title: RE: Threepence Varieties
Post by: gnome on October 12, 2016, 11:53:25 AM
Thanks, Robster. Still quite a few to check over again. :angel:
Title: RE: Threepence Varieties
Post by: enworb on October 12, 2016, 02:08:30 PM
Nice crack Gnome. I especially like the 44s to the E
Title: RE: Threepence Varieties
Post by: gnome on March 04, 2017, 07:36:17 PM
Just found this little beauty. Appologies on the quality of the pic.
(http://www.australian-coins.net/gallery/albums/userpics/10012/DSCF4859.JPG)
Title: RE: Threepence Varieties
Post by: echidna on March 04, 2017, 07:48:46 PM
Very nice.
Title: RE: Threepence Varieties
Post by: ausjack on March 04, 2017, 07:48:55 PM
Gee G another pic would be nice :winkextra:
Title: RE: Threepence Varieties
Post by: gnome on March 04, 2017, 07:58:06 PM
Hang on mate :)
Updated  the pic.
(http://www.australian-coins.net/gallery/albums/userpics/10012/DSCF4859.JPG)
Newish computer and not handling my camera pics very well.
Title: RE: Threepence Varieties
Post by: ausjack on March 04, 2017, 08:06:10 PM
Take ya time G, I know what it's like trying to operate new machinery ;)
Title: RE: Threepence Varieties
Post by: gnome on March 04, 2017, 08:12:39 PM
Yeah nearly over it. Starting to give me the :) Will give it another go in the daylight.
Title: RE: Threepence Varieties
Post by: Unicorn on March 04, 2017, 08:19:37 PM
Very nice G! :good: (To quote Mr Renniks .....die crack joins top of shield to star)
Title: RE: Threepence Varieties
Post by: gnome on March 04, 2017, 08:21:14 PM
That's the one , Uni :)
Title: RE: Threepence Varieties
Post by: gnome on March 05, 2017, 11:43:04 AM
Thoughts on this one would be appreciated as well, thanks.
(http://www.australian-coins.net/gallery/albums/userpics/10012/DSCF4861.JPG)
Title: RE: Threepence Varieties
Post by: Unicorn on March 05, 2017, 12:36:00 PM
That's a lot clearer photo G, you must have sorted something out. :good:

Dot between base of T in THREE & Roo's back?

(Xmas pudding coin??)
Title: RE: Threepence Varieties
Post by: gnome on March 05, 2017, 12:48:38 PM
Daylight hours and went back to basis with the lights etc as well as back on the laptop for the moment. :)
Had another look, seems to be a lot of chrissy pudding still on it, maybe. :)
Title: RE: Threepence Varieties
Post by: autocoupler on March 17, 2017, 10:48:34 AM
http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2051541.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.X322454559041.TRS0&_nkw=322454559041&_sacat=0

Yeah; right :dodgy:
Title: RE: Threepence Varieties
Post by: Unicorn on March 17, 2017, 11:00:07 AM
That's a shocker Auto, you'd think they'd at least try and get the date somewhat similar to a real one!
Title: RE: Threepence Varieties
Post by: autocoupler on March 17, 2017, 01:51:26 PM
Unbelievable uni, but it is nice and shiny. :derisive:
Title: RE: Threepence Varieties
Post by: nealeffendi on March 19, 2017, 02:24:43 AM
Quote from: 'autocoupler' pid='106799' dateline='1489720886'Unbelievable uni, but it is nice and shiny. :derisive:

And fully guaranteed:@.