Australian-Coins Forum

Numismatic Discussion => Coin Chit Chat => Topic started by: trout on April 18, 2016, 07:57:17 AM

Title: Bulk Loose coin storage
Post by: trout on April 18, 2016, 07:57:17 AM
I bought a vacuum sealer primarily for meat storage and for packing fish when away on a trip.
I have however found that I can use it to help with my coins as well.
Those little "baggies" you get from ram are pretty much a recipe for disaster as far as long time coin storage goes and I would normally put every coin in individual saflips for storage to prevent the coins chaffing against each other.
I had an idea and tried using my sealer on these and it works perfectly, The coins are held firmly in place and the bags are PVC free.
Dead easy and far cheaper than using all my saflips up :good:

(http://www.australian-coins.net/gallery/albums/userpics/10019/storage.jpg)

(http://www.australian-coins.net/gallery/albums/userpics/10019/storage1.jpg)

(http://www.australian-coins.net/gallery/albums/userpics/10019/storage2.jpg)
Title: RE: Bulk Loose coin storage
Post by: stevo1962 on April 18, 2016, 09:44:56 AM
With these mint bags I stack the coins inside the bag and roll them like a mint roll using photocopy paper.There's
no way they will move after that and they are easy to store
Title: RE: Bulk Loose coin storage
Post by: gnome on April 18, 2016, 10:49:31 AM
Bought one ages ago for the same purpose, but never got around to it.
Title: RE: Bulk Loose coin storage
Post by: Fulvio on April 18, 2016, 10:49:50 AM
Quote from: 'stevo1962' pid='87406' dateline='1460938496'With these mint bags I stack the coins inside the bag and roll them like a mint roll using photocopy paper.There's
no way they will move after that and they are easy to store

Precisely. Plus, rolling them has the advantage of separating the easy-tear cut from the coins, helping keep the air out. Plus makes them easier to stack. And it uses less material if you subsequently vacuum-seal them.

However (Trout take note), please remember my sad experiences with nasty fumes getting through the bags. Both the coin bags and the vacuum-seal rolls are made of LDPE, and it is most definitely NOT impervious to gasses.

If you want to truly protect them, use a BoPET (mylar) outer bag, or PP, PET, HDPE or other hard plastic container. Empty chip packets work well, being two layers of BoPET with a metallised core.
Title: RE: Bulk Loose coin storage
Post by: robbiegal on April 18, 2016, 09:25:45 PM
You can use a straw to suck the air out as well. Then heat seal.
Title: RE: Bulk Loose coin storage
Post by: Fulvio on April 18, 2016, 11:45:42 PM
Quote from: 'robbiegal' pid='87503' dateline='1460980545'You can use a straw to suck the air out as well. Then heat seal.

Yes. Or a little higher tech is a vacuum pump (a mate uses a fish tank air pump) with a length of medical tubing and a hypodermic needle. Seal, poke the needle in, suck, then cover the hole with tape.
Title: RE: Bulk Loose coin storage
Post by: trout on April 19, 2016, 12:03:34 AM
Quote from: 'Fulvio' pid='87518' dateline='1460988942'
Quote from: 'robbiegal' pid='87503' dateline='1460980545'You can use a straw to suck the air out as well. Then heat seal.

Yes. Or a little higher tech is a vacuum pump (a mate uses a fish tank air pump) with a length of medical tubing and a hypodermic needle. Seal, poke the needle in, suck, then cover the hole with tape.

I recon I much prefer just pushing a button :angel:
Title: RE: Bulk Loose coin storage
Post by: Fulvio on April 19, 2016, 02:25:52 AM
Quote from: 'trout' pid='87521' dateline='1460990014'I recon I much prefer just pushing a button :angel:

Yeah, I get that. But then the material is more expensive, and I'm not sure if it doesn't have additives related to food packaging which may or may not be problematic. Probably warrants some research to find out exactly what the plastic is.
Title: RE: Bulk Loose coin storage
Post by: JeffH on February 02, 2018, 10:12:02 AM
It has been mentioned (somewhere, before) that 35mm film canisters are just the right size for storing 20¢ coins.
Well I came across an alternative, available in a large range of sizes. Picked up some pills at the Vet's,  for our old, arthritic  labrador, and they came in a nice container.
(https://www.australian-coins.net/gallery/albums/userpics/10055/139/Pill_vial.JPG)

That one is a Toolcraft (https://toolcraft.net.au/Plastic-Vials-1-Dram-to-50-Dram~116) 12 dram size -33.8mm internal diameter and comfortably holds twenty 50¢ coins. There is a big range of sizes and it looks as if this style of container is rather cheap (http://www.ivetsupply.com.au/50-x-pill-bottles).