Australian-Coins Forum

Australian Coins, Banknotes and Exonumia => Australian Decimal Circulating Coins => Topic started by: jens coins on February 13, 2016, 09:33:11 AM

Title: New 50c coin "likely to under redesign"
Post by: jens coins on February 13, 2016, 09:33:11 AM
Seen this today.

http://www.msn.com/en-au/news/australia/australias-50-cent-coin-likely-to-undergo-redesign/ar-BBpq0fN?li=AAgfLCP&ocid=mailsignout

I hope they don't change the shape as that is why I started to collect them because they were different to the rest of the coins.
Title: RE: New 50c coin "likely to under redesign"
Post by: trout on February 13, 2016, 09:43:38 AM
I just read about this on CCF and I am with you Jen, I would hate to see this coin "Bastardised" :scared:
Title: RE: New 50c coin "likely to under redesign"
Post by: interest on February 13, 2016, 10:39:22 AM
How about the size of the New Zealand coins,
with no five cent piece,
with the shape of the English fifty pence coin?
Which does away with the five cent coin,
make all coins smaller & cheaper to produce
especially the fifty cent coin which would be less than half of the size & weight it now is.
Title: RE: New 50c coin "likely to under redesign"
Post by: JeffH on February 13, 2016, 12:55:23 PM
Fiji did something similar and their 50¢ is now about the size of the previous 20¢, round but with the 12 side shape just inside the rim. 10¢ and 20¢ coins are also smaller than previously.
(http://static-numista.com/catalogue/photos/fidji/g365.jpg)
Title: RE: New 50c coin "likely to under redesign"
Post by: trout on February 13, 2016, 02:40:38 PM
QuoteFiji did something similar and their 50¢ is now about the size of the previous 20¢, round but with the 12 side shape just inside the rim. 10¢ and 20¢ coins are also smaller than previously.

I imagine that these coins from Fiji were minted by RAM and that we will probably end up with the same sort of thing allowing the government to end the issuing of the 5c coin at the same time.
I suppose that as long as we don't go down the steel or clad aluminium track it wont be too bad, at least it will allow collectors to  complete their decimal sets and start new sets with what I suppose will be called NEW decimal coins.
The 1 and 2 dollar coins should remain unaffected I would imagine.
Title: RE: New 50c coin "likely to under redesign"
Post by: JeffH on February 13, 2016, 03:24:19 PM
The current Fiji coins are nickel (5¢, 10¢ & 50¢) or brass ($1 & $2) clad, steel cored. I think Canadian mint produces them.
Title: RE: New 50c coin "likely to under redesign"
Post by: ADMISLSE on February 20, 2016, 03:47:43 PM
I only collect 50c and love it, but i don't mind they redesign the shape at all, it would make our old 50c collection more precious
Title: RE: New 50c coin "likely to under redesign"
Post by: Goldseeker on February 20, 2016, 07:45:41 PM
I hate it.  I have just bought another 50c DANSCO Supreme album for 50c at quite some cost.

Thanks RAM for making me waste my money.
Title: RE: New 50c coin "likely to under redesign"
Post by: trout on February 21, 2016, 09:04:53 AM
Quote from: 'Goldseeker' pid='84728' dateline='1455959741'I hate it.  I have just bought another 50c DANSCO Supreme album for 50c at quite some cost.

Thanks RAM for making me waste my money.

RAM will probably issue enough different 50c coins in the next couple of years to more than fill your new dansco Goldie :angel:
Title: RE: New 50c coin "likely to under redesign"
Post by: Enlilninlil on February 23, 2016, 09:29:20 PM
I like the coin, but it is way to big, all our coins will have to be resized sooner or later.
Title: RE: New 50c coin "likely to under redesign"
Post by: Goldseeker on February 24, 2016, 09:12:33 PM
And modifications to all coin op machines means the cost of that to be passed on tho us, the consumer.

No thanks we pay enough for our things from a coin machine.
Title: RE: New 50c coin "likely to under redesign"
Post by: runway on February 24, 2016, 11:54:54 PM
Entire currency change like NZ would have to be planned not just one denomination
Title: RE: New 50c coin "likely to under redesign"
Post by: Unicorn on February 25, 2016, 01:42:35 PM
Quote from: 'runway' pid='84851' dateline='1456320294'Entire currency change like NZ would have to be planned not just one denomination

What?

Like Australia did after 1966 when the 50c went from circular to dodecagonal?

Rubbish. :@
Title: RE: New 50c coin "likely to under redesign"
Post by: runway on February 25, 2016, 10:29:51 PM
Quote from: 'Unicorn' pid='84862' dateline='1456369955'
Quote from: 'runway' pid='84851' dateline='1456320294'Entire currency change like NZ would have to be planned not just one denomination

What?

Like Australia did after 1966 when the 50c went from circular to dodecagonal?

Rubbish. :@
No comparison ... not many vending machines in 1966 and it was 2 years before a docecagonal 50c went into circulation in 1969 so not rubbish actually :idea::dodgy:
Title: RE: New 50c coin "likely to under redesign"
Post by: Enlilninlil on February 29, 2016, 11:15:56 AM
History tells us is that change is inevitable.
Title: RE: New 50c coin "likely to under redesign"
Post by: Unicorn on February 29, 2016, 11:36:38 AM
Quote from: 'runway' pid='84898' dateline='1456401591'Entire currency change like NZ would have to be planned not just one denomination

..........

No comparison ... not many vending machines in 1966 and it was 2 years before a docecagonal 50c went into circulation in 1969 so not rubbish actually :idea::dodgy:

They changed the shape of one coin only and that was the point.

There was no need to change the entire currency which you said in your post above, would be required.

As to no comparison, I can't think of any other Australian coin size change to compare it to, unless you include bringing in the $1 coin. Did they change all the others too? No. The introduction of the $2 coin, did they change all the others, no.

How vending machines enter this argument eludes me.

I'd imagine the reason that NZ changed the size of all their coins was to stop them bringing them here and using them.
Title: RE: New 50c coin "likely to under redesign"
Post by: Chuckey on February 29, 2016, 08:07:30 PM
Considering the docecagonal 50c has been around since 1969 I can hardly imagine that it has only recently become a problem for vending machines. More likely its about cutting costs for the mint.