Australian-Coins Forum

Australian Coins, Banknotes and Exonumia => Australian Errors and Varieties => Topic started by: enworb on December 07, 2012, 09:24:10 PM

Title: Should I buy or leave?
Post by: enworb on December 07, 2012, 09:24:10 PM
Tomorrow I have an opportunity to buy about 10 2c coins which are all BU but have huge clips. I have seen them and they all seem to be end of sheet clips. They are late 70's early 80's dates and have about 35-50% of the coin missing. Asking price is $30. Is that too much?
Title: RE: Should I buy or leave?
Post by: Goldseeker on December 07, 2012, 10:21:26 PM
If you believe that the price being asked is fair, then the ball is in your court.   How often do you see such an assortment of errors at the one time.

If it was me, I would go for it.
Title: RE: Should I buy or leave?
Post by: enworb on December 07, 2012, 10:31:19 PM
The problem is I dont really know where the market is on them.
Title: RE: Should I buy or leave?
Post by: Russ e on December 07, 2012, 10:39:06 PM
i would jump on them myself, i reckon ebay would bring at least $7 a coin
Title: RE: Should I buy or leave?
Post by: enworb on December 07, 2012, 10:42:30 PM
Sorry I need to clarify its $30 each coin. They are in greate shpe and large clips. I would have thought they worth around that but im note sure.
Title: RE: Should I buy or leave?
Post by: Russ e on December 08, 2012, 07:43:18 AM
mmm bit pricey at that as an investment wouldnt be much room to resell for profit for a long time, but to have a collection of 10 clips would be extremely tempting.
Title: RE: Should I buy or leave?
Post by: Australian coin on December 08, 2012, 09:30:50 AM
I don’t think you would ever get $30 ea as re-sale.
Title: RE: Should I buy or leave?
Post by: Nevol on December 08, 2012, 11:23:38 AM
Far be it from me to advise anyone on how to spend their hard earned money, but.....I doubt that a clipped 2c coin is worth $30, unless the clip is pretty spectacular. JMHO :blink:

How do they compare with Markn's $2 clip that PPH posted recently on CCF?
http://www.coincommunity.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=135193

If they are that good, you might be on a winner.  :grin:
Title: RE: Should I buy or leave?
Post by: enworb on December 08, 2012, 11:28:27 AM
Im doing this from memory because its been about 3 weeks since i first saw them but they are the same size or larger as i remember. I am going to the shop today and am going to get one or two. I'll posts some pics.
Title: RE: Should I buy or leave?
Post by: Nevol on December 08, 2012, 11:31:25 AM
Quote from: 'enworb' pid='4447' dateline='1354928307'Im doing this from memory because its been about 3 weeks since i first saw them but they are the same size or larger as i remember. I am going to the shop today and am going to get one or two. I'll posts some pics.
Looking forward to seeing them. :winkextra:
Title: RE: Should I buy or leave?
Post by: Goldseeker on December 08, 2012, 12:08:06 PM
OK, I shall retract my previous reply.   If the lot was up for sale at $30, then go for it.   At $30 each, pass.
Title: RE: Should I buy or leave?
Post by: trout on December 08, 2012, 10:43:35 PM
What a weird bunch we are.:yahoo:
We all obsess about defective coins but not one of us would by a brand new car with a door missing :dash1::dance2::laugh2:
Title: RE: Should I buy or leave?
Post by: Russ e on December 09, 2012, 07:46:13 AM
we would if it sold at the price of a push bike ;)
Title: RE: Should I buy or leave?
Post by: Graham on December 09, 2012, 09:11:22 AM
Quote from: 'trout' pid='4484' dateline='1354968815'What a weird bunch we are.:yahoo:
We all obsess about defective coins but not one of us would by a brand new car with a door missing :dash1::dance2::laugh2:
You mean that my new car was supposed to have a rear passenger door? Damn!