Australian-Coins Forum

Numismatic Discussion => Coin Chit Chat => Topic started by: stevo1962 on December 31, 2014, 12:31:23 PM

Title: Have you been a winner on Facebook
Post by: stevo1962 on December 31, 2014, 12:31:23 PM
I know a lot of people don't like Facebook but there are bargains to be had.This coin just arrived at a cost of about $2 and should grade MS65 or MS66

(http://www.australian-coins.net/gallery/albums/userpics/10137/1971a.jpg)
(http://www.australian-coins.net/gallery/albums/userpics/10137/1971b.jpg)
Title: RE: Have you been a winner on Facebook
Post by: serial on December 31, 2014, 12:40:45 PM
nice! you really are going to become the man with all the 71's! do you have enough for a pcgs run yet? I am keen to hear how you go
on a side note I just got a complete set of mint sets 1966 - 2012
not a big deal usually except they are all Sherwood uncirc sets bought on the year of issue all in choice-gem state condition.
next pcgs run going to be a big one :)
Title: RE: Have you been a winner on Facebook
Post by: stevo1962 on December 31, 2014, 01:31:31 PM
I have about 30 coins to go over in the next few weeks so probably wont see results
until March or April
Title: RE: Have you been a winner on Facebook
Post by: serial on December 31, 2014, 01:47:00 PM
Can't wait to see results.
Title: RE: Have you been a winner on Facebook
Post by: coxspau on December 31, 2014, 04:11:10 PM
How do you buy coins using Facebook? This is a new concept which I haven't come across before.

Nice '71 by the way.
Title: RE: Have you been a winner on Facebook
Post by: stevo1962 on December 31, 2014, 04:40:53 PM
Quote from: 'coxspau' pid='64630' dateline='1420004470'How do you buy coins using Facebook? This is a new concept which I haven't come across before.

Nice '71 by the way.

There are Facebook groups where people buy and sell.Just type in Australian Coins in the facebook name search and they will pop up them then request to join the group or groups
Title: RE: Have you been a winner on Facebook
Post by: ausjack on December 31, 2014, 07:21:31 PM
I don't mind stupid people because I am one but gee they're thick on FB (no offence to present members company here :) as they ask the same question over and over and a coin straight from under a bus and ask is it worth anything :dash1:

Stevo has picked up some bargains and same as some other members but a lot of work ;)
Title: RE: Have you been a winner on Facebook
Post by: Unicorn on January 01, 2015, 08:11:50 PM
Utter bargain Stevo ..... well done!!!
Title: RE: Have you been a winner on Facebook
Post by: stevo1962 on May 09, 2016, 01:17:25 PM
Another purchase on Facebook today.Just another place people can sell their coins

  http://www.pcgs.com/cert/29308117
Title: RE: Have you been a winner on Facebook
Post by: trout on May 09, 2016, 01:20:47 PM
Quote from: 'stevo1962' pid='64626' dateline='1419994891'I have about 30 coins to go over in the next few weeks so probably wont see results
until March or April

Have you got the grades back yet Mate ?
Title: RE: Have you been a winner on Facebook
Post by: stevo1962 on May 09, 2016, 01:34:07 PM
Quote from: 'trout' pid='88421' dateline='1462765847'
Quote from: 'stevo1962' pid='64626' dateline='1419994891'I have about 30 coins to go over in the next few weeks so probably wont see results
until March or April

Have you got the grades back yet Mate ?

Yeah ended up with 7   MS66 and 5   MS67 coins.Just finished dumping my
MS65 coins on ebay.Moved on from these a while ago probably about when I
started looking for incused 50's
Title: RE: Have you been a winner on Facebook
Post by: trout on May 09, 2016, 01:44:44 PM
QuoteYeah ended up with 7 MS66 and 5 MS67 coins.Just finished dumping my
 MS65 coins on ebay

Nicely done :yahoo:
Title: RE: Have you been a winner on Facebook
Post by: gnome on May 11, 2016, 01:45:34 PM
Just picked up this one. 2014 5cent tilted collar. Arrived today
(http://www.australian-coins.net/gallery/albums/userpics/10012/DSCF4222.JPG)
(http://www.australian-coins.net/gallery/albums/userpics/10012/DSCF4223.JPG)

(http://www.australian-coins.net/gallery/albums/userpics/10012/13149914_10209807801140009_1462657658_n.png)

Also this one. :)
(http://www.australian-coins.net/gallery/albums/userpics/10012/DSCF4233.JPG)
(http://www.australian-coins.net/gallery/albums/userpics/10012/DSCF4232.JPG)
Was a local buy. :)
Title: RE: Have you been a winner on Facebook
Post by: stevo1962 on May 11, 2016, 02:37:28 PM
That 20 cent looks like a great coin
Title: RE: Have you been a winner on Facebook
Post by: gnome on May 11, 2016, 02:47:53 PM
Thanks, Stevo, am pretty happy it :)
Title: RE: Have you been a winner on Facebook
Post by: autocoupler on May 11, 2016, 02:56:48 PM
Quote from: 'gnome' pid='88498' dateline='1462943873'Thanks, Stevo, am pretty happy it :)

Vvvvvvvvery nnnnnnice..........ddddamn it G!! Envy always does that to me:angel::grin:
Title: RE: Have you been a winner on Facebook
Post by: gnome on May 11, 2016, 03:37:38 PM
Thanks auto. :) was naughty and picked up a second one as well. Pretty sure there is a couple left if your keen.
Title: RE: Have you been a winner on Facebook
Post by: Unicorn on May 11, 2016, 03:42:32 PM
Very nice Gnome. I've only ever found one tilted collar.
Title: RE: Have you been a winner on Facebook
Post by: stevo1962 on May 13, 2016, 10:42:10 AM
Another nice pick up on facebook last night

        (http://www.australian-coins.net/gallery/albums/userpics/10137/12b.jpg)
        (http://www.australian-coins.net/gallery/albums/userpics/10137/12a.jpg)
Title: RE: Have you been a winner on Facebook
Post by: r9453 on May 13, 2016, 02:43:11 PM
With coins like that FB is shaping up as a serious contender in the quality coin market.
Title: RE: Have you been a winner on Facebook
Post by: WavyTwenty on May 13, 2016, 03:05:35 PM
Yeah.

My main frustration with it is there is quite a lot of support for APCGS.  Personally I just can't use them...
Title: RE: Have you been a winner on Facebook
Post by: stevo1962 on May 13, 2016, 03:18:06 PM
Quote from: 'WavyTwenty' pid='88637' dateline='1463117735'Yeah.

My main frustration with it is there is quite a lot of support for APCGS.  Personally I just can't use them...

Support for APCGS is waning.Anyway I bought my first APCGS coin last week from Facebook specifically to crack it out and send it to PCGS as the claim at APCGS is that they grade more strictly than PCGS,so the theory is that you will buy a lower graded APCGS coin at the appropriate price for that grade and have it grade higher by PCGS which will then make it worth more.I have seen this happen
Title: RE: Have you been a winner on Facebook
Post by: r9453 on May 13, 2016, 03:30:51 PM
What Steve said is correct and I personally don't see all that many APCGS slabs. There is a group run by a person with a name that is closely associated with APCGS and he seems to sell more PCGS slabs than anything else.
Title: RE: Have you been a winner on Facebook
Post by: trout on May 13, 2016, 04:16:30 PM
Quotethe theory is that you will buy a lower graded APCGS coin at the appropriate price for that grade and have it grade higher by PCGS which will then make it worth more.

Good luck with that idea :angel:
Title: RE: Have you been a winner on Facebook
Post by: Fr45h3R on May 13, 2016, 05:00:14 PM
Quote from: 'trout' pid='88644' dateline='1463121990'
Quotethe theory is that you will buy a lower graded APCGS coin at the appropriate price for that grade and have it grade higher by PCGS which will then make it worth more.

Good luck with that idea :angel:

Apart from the obvious failures to pick up cleaning in predecimals, this is actually achievable due to so called 'differences' in grading standards.
Title: RE: Have you been a winner on Facebook
Post by: r9453 on May 13, 2016, 05:07:48 PM
Quote from: 'Fr45h3R' pid='88645' dateline='1463124614'Apart from the obvious failures to pick up cleaning in predecimals

This is an important point, based on the FB images I have seen it would be very difficult to tell what you were getting in one of those slabs.
Title: RE: Have you been a winner on Facebook
Post by: trout on May 13, 2016, 05:34:25 PM
Quotedue to so called 'differences' in grading standards

There is Nothing "So Called" regarding the differences between a PCGS graded coin and a APCGS graded coin.
It is more like a "Chalk and Cheese" difference, The odds of getting and accurately graded coin from APCGS are slim enough as it is without hoping to find an overgraded coin in one of their slabs.
I did buy a couple of APCGS slabs with this same vain aim and it resulted in a couple of "Details" PCGS slabs.

So like I said  Good luck with this Guys, You are going to need it :angel:
Title: RE: Have you been a winner on Facebook
Post by: gnome on June 06, 2016, 01:24:19 PM
Recent buy, a double error on a 2000 5c piece, rim bar on the reverse side with a tilted collar. Dunno but the post seems to be taking a lot longer to arrive nowadays.
(http://www.australian-coins.net/gallery/albums/userpics/10012/DSCF4354.JPG)
(http://www.australian-coins.net/gallery/albums/userpics/10012/DSCF4349.JPG)
Title: RE: Have you been a winner on Facebook
Post by: autocoupler on June 06, 2016, 01:39:17 PM
Very nice G :)
Title: RE: Have you been a winner on Facebook
Post by: stevo1962 on June 06, 2016, 02:54:32 PM
Facebook is worth keeping an eye on as I picked this up cheap last week
 
(http://www.australian-coins.net/gallery/albums/userpics/10137/5a~0.jpg)
(http://www.australian-coins.net/gallery/albums/userpics/10137/5b~0.jpg)
Title: RE: Have you been a winner on Facebook
Post by: gnome on June 06, 2016, 03:42:29 PM
Nice, :) was happy with the $ amount on mine as well. :)
Title: RE: Have you been a winner on Facebook
Post by: ausjack on June 06, 2016, 05:28:26 PM
Very nice scores team :good: I should sell some of mine..one day :)
Title: RE: Have you been a winner on Facebook
Post by: keldaw on June 06, 2016, 05:46:59 PM
question , ?

 where does one go to , to find coins for sale on face book  ???

  please tell .thank you .
Title: RE: Have you been a winner on Facebook
Post by: gnome on June 06, 2016, 06:25:52 PM
There are 2 sites I check in on and you have to request to join.
Title: RE: Have you been a winner on Facebook
Post by: ausjack on June 06, 2016, 06:59:47 PM
Yes there are heaps of pages, I'm a member of about a dozen. Some have thousands of members and other only a few hundred but be fair warned there have been lots of infighting between pages recently and this has put a few people off. Just type in either Australian coins buy, trade and sell or coins and see how many pages come up, there's also pages on errors etc :good: I'm also a member of a few pages from other countries just for a change.
Title: RE: Have you been a winner on Facebook
Post by: robbiegal on June 06, 2016, 08:06:56 PM
Quote from: 'keldaw' pid='90099' dateline='1465201019'question , ?

 where does one go to , to find coins for sale on face book  ???

  please tell .thank you .

be judicious Kel
there are some types that con the crap out of the bidding members as well
they sort of hype up the item and bidding up - make out that it is a once in a life time deal

seems that some clearly get better sale prices than others as well

you can always double check with members here anyways, just to save burned fingers
I am an experienced buyer but have gotten caught up in the bidding (as we all do)

listed stuff but my sale prices were very low so I don't bother anymore
Title: RE: Have you been a winner on Facebook
Post by: ausjack on June 06, 2016, 08:24:20 PM
Yes very true RG and our friend from agcgs has been know to bid on coins under another name to bid them up but it was all good as he's good mates with the one's that run the page :@ it's bloody sad so I only buy of people I know like Emu :winkextra:
Mark and PP have a blog page that get some bloody nice errors :good:
Title: RE: Have you been a winner on Facebook
Post by: trout on June 06, 2016, 08:55:46 PM
Quote from: 'keldaw' pid='90099' dateline='1465201019'question , ?

 where does one go to , to find coins for sale on face book  ???

  please tell .thank you .

Don't go there Kel, That nest of Vipers will eat a nice bloke like you alive Mate.
Title: RE: Have you been a winner on Facebook
Post by: ausjack on June 06, 2016, 09:07:58 PM
Yes stick with ebay and avoid the bitchin :good:

Some of them can get really nasty to say the least.
Title: RE: Have you been a winner on Facebook
Post by: gnome on June 06, 2016, 10:05:40 PM
It's true you do have to be careful on there.
Title: RE: Have you been a winner on Facebook
Post by: r9453 on June 07, 2016, 05:07:11 AM
I'm actively selling on one facebook group. Some of the groups make extravagant claims about protecting the buyers from scammers etc. but they are run by sellers who naturally advance their own interests.
Title: RE: Have you been a winner on Facebook
Post by: ausjack on June 07, 2016, 07:17:12 AM
Yes it's a strange place and seems to be very clicky, and don't say anything about apcgs or they'll all have a go at you.
Title: RE: Have you been a winner on Facebook
Post by: Triggersmob on June 07, 2016, 07:35:33 AM
I have been a winner, in the fact that I have made new friends to trade with. :)
Title: RE: Have you been a winner on Facebook
Post by: keldaw on June 07, 2016, 07:37:13 AM
thanks for all the answers folks ,

 I just wanted to have a look that's all , I am over buying any more coins now , I reckon I have enough to worry about ,
 but anyway thanks for the response from you all .
Title: RE: Have you been a winner on Facebook
Post by: robbiegal on June 07, 2016, 04:57:51 PM
Quote from: 'r9453' pid='90151' dateline='1465241831'I'm actively selling on one facebook group. Some of the groups make extravagant claims about protecting the buyers from scammers etc. but they are run by sellers who naturally advance their own interests.

in the group I am in, I have not had any trouble. Each seller has been great to deal with and ordinary people. even one of the more 'dealer' types has been good and reliable. So I am careful and it has paid off.
Title: RE: Have you been a winner on Facebook
Post by: ausjack on June 07, 2016, 08:05:36 PM
There are so many groups it's not funny so I mainly look to see what things are selling for. I actually find the foreign more interesting than the aussie one's as they're more interested in decimal stuff like the rubbish from the paper and they ask the same things over and over and they don't seem interested in pre decimal or errors, yes there's some that are but not many.
Title: RE: Have you been a winner on Facebook
Post by: r9453 on June 08, 2016, 05:53:50 AM
I probably should point out that my comments relate more to my early experiences, things may have settled down a bit recently and not all groups are the same. As AJ points out there is a plethora of them. Naturally, experience counts for a lot, old hands like AJ, RG and anyone who keeps their wits about them should have no trouble.

Interesting comments about the OS Facebook groups AJ, could you suggest one that might be worth a look?
Title: RE: Have you been a winner on Facebook
Post by: ausjack on June 08, 2016, 08:29:16 AM
:blink: WTF and have you lot invade my private sanctums :laugh2:
Nah I'm happy to share as I don't like being a secret squirrel, they're not overly populated pages but the main two I look at are
Coin Collecting and Identification (more american than world and 132 members) and the one I suss out the most is Coin collecting help and advice (buy and sell) uk and us and it has 2953 members, now none of you bastards would want to come on making trouble :acute: or there will be trouble :banned: :angel:

I just sussed it out and I'm a member of 18 coin pages and that's only a few as there'd have to be double that easy.

If anyone wants to talk to me on FB PM me and I'll give you my name as I never use my real name and some people on there get annoyed but I don't care :) Better to be safe than sorry :winkextra:
Title: RE: Have you been a winner on Facebook
Post by: autocoupler on June 08, 2016, 02:49:31 PM
Wow AJ, with access to that many pages you should certainly be right for dunny paper Mate :laugh2::laugh2:
Title: RE: Have you been a winner on Facebook
Post by: ausjack on June 08, 2016, 04:46:48 PM
:laugh2: yes it's like that auto, so many pages and nothing to read, sort of like our local paper :blink: On and there's two that I missed as they're more personal pages, Mark and PP's blog and Newcastle coins page.

Mind you there's so many pages I'm not a member of as I don't like the people that run them :@
Title: RE: Have you been a winner on Facebook
Post by: stevo1962 on June 14, 2016, 06:43:40 PM
This $50 bargain should cross over nicely

(http://www.australian-coins.net/gallery/albums/userpics/10137/1943_MS63.jpg)
Title: RE: Have you been a winner on Facebook
Post by: r9453 on June 15, 2016, 04:30:58 AM
Have you got it in hand yet? Most APCGS slabs that I see have terrible photos and it seems like double jeopardy to risk it.
Title: RE: Have you been a winner on Facebook
Post by: ausjack on June 15, 2016, 08:52:22 AM
Yes that will be interesting to see how it changes over Stevo. Yes Rob I have noticed that as well with apcgs coins and doesn't matter if it's FB or feebay, always bad pic's.
Title: RE: Have you been a winner on Facebook
Post by: r9453 on June 15, 2016, 11:47:24 AM
Quote from: 'ausjack' pid='90697' dateline='1465946542'I have noticed that as well with apcgs coins and doesn't matter if it's FB or feebay, always bad pic's.

Probably just a coincidence, not.

I think stevo has an eye for a silk purse among all the pigs ears plus he works hard at it and deserves his successes.
Title: RE: Have you been a winner on Facebook
Post by: autocoupler on June 15, 2016, 12:15:00 PM
I recently purchased a 1981 no sd 2 cent in a APCGS holder graded MS62, and I reckon that's what it was. Interestingly, part of the sales pitch on the sellers page stated that APCGS has far higher standards than PCGS :shock::shok:, so what's with all the negativity with APCGS :mocking:
Title: RE: Have you been a winner on Facebook
Post by: r9453 on June 15, 2016, 12:33:30 PM
Yes but did you check for marks where the SD was ground off? Maybe its a conspiracy to pervert the course of junk.
Title: RE: Have you been a winner on Facebook
Post by: gnome on July 10, 2016, 10:47:42 AM
Recent purchase from a relieble source on fb. 1964 1d, stoked with this one. The photo turned out ok as well, wasn't sure if it captured everything on it.  
(http://www.australian-coins.net/gallery/albums/userpics/10012/DSCF4436_28600x57529.jpg)
Title: RE: Have you been a winner on Facebook
Post by: robbiegal on July 10, 2016, 11:14:00 AM
They are a fantastic error. I collect them as well and have manged to collect 3 variations of the denticles.
Title: RE: Have you been a winner on Facebook
Post by: gnome on July 10, 2016, 12:08:39 PM
Nice robbiegal ,:) that's my first .
Title: RE: Have you been a winner on Facebook
Post by: r9453 on July 10, 2016, 01:26:13 PM
What are we looking at here; Perth, Melbourne, either, or?
Title: RE: Have you been a winner on Facebook
Post by: gnome on July 10, 2016, 01:44:58 PM
Sorry my bad, it's a Perth 1964 penny.
Title: RE: Have you been a winner on Facebook
Post by: trout on July 10, 2016, 02:02:13 PM
Why are the Perth ones so special ?
Title: RE: Have you been a winner on Facebook
Post by: ausjack on July 10, 2016, 02:03:46 PM
Nice one G :good:

Does the denticle mark come from all the different mints or only perth?
Title: RE: Have you been a winner on Facebook
Post by: gnome on July 10, 2016, 03:22:28 PM
Thanks :) AJ, not sure about the denticles, first one I've seen in the hand. Most of the classics come out of Perth, trout. :)
Title: RE: Have you been a winner on Facebook
Post by: ausjack on July 10, 2016, 03:35:41 PM
No wuckers G, maybe RG might know :)
Title: RE: Have you been a winner on Facebook
Post by: robbiegal on July 10, 2016, 04:52:02 PM
Yeah AJ
I am familiar with them and have a few theories regarding the how 's of them

Perth 1964Y. Introduction to the Obverse Penny Denticles 101 :)
you can find them in 3 variations - I only have ever found 5 of the version with the one denticle and 4 of the version with 3 denticles
the variety has
1. a denticle type mark on the Queens chin
2. bearded Queen usually
3. denticles rear and front of the Queens neck
4. Die cracks Gratia Regina

I collect any denticle pattern coin that I can find so I do have some in the 1954/53 halfpennies and so on , 1960 denticle in AUST and so on

So Gnome - you now have a quest! as I don't sell mine

1 Denticle
(http://www.australian-coins.net/gallery/albums/userpics/10035/1_28229_-_Copy.JPG)(http://www.australian-coins.net/gallery/albums/userpics/10035/1_28129_-_Copy.JPG)

2 Denticles
(http://www.australian-coins.net/gallery/albums/userpics/10035/2_28229_-_Copy.JPG)(http://www.australian-coins.net/gallery/albums/userpics/10035/2_28129_-_Copy.JPG)

3 Denticles

(http://www.australian-coins.net/gallery/albums/userpics/10035/3_28229_-_Copy.JPG)(http://www.australian-coins.net/gallery/albums/userpics/10035/3_28129_-_Copy.JPG)
Title: RE: Have you been a winner on Facebook
Post by: gnome on July 10, 2016, 04:56:46 PM
I really want one of the 3 denticles, :)

And the single one :)

When you get a chance, would like to see the other dated ones as well, please.
Title: RE: Have you been a winner on Facebook
Post by: robbiegal on July 10, 2016, 04:59:28 PM
Gnome
if you find the denticles appealing

here is an example of the denticles in AUST in the 1960 Y. Penny
A very rare error as well (IMO)

(http://www.australian-coins.net/gallery/albums/userpics/10035/P7110100_-_Copy.JPG)(http://www.australian-coins.net/gallery/albums/userpics/10035/P7110101_-_Copy.JPG)(http://www.australian-coins.net/gallery/albums/userpics/10035/P7110100_-_Copy_28229.JPG)
Title: RE: Have you been a winner on Facebook
Post by: ausjack on July 10, 2016, 04:59:32 PM
Thanks for that RG, much appreciated :good:
Title: RE: Have you been a winner on Facebook
Post by: robbiegal on July 10, 2016, 05:03:00 PM
1953 Halfpenny
Denticles below the roo's snout

(http://www.australian-coins.net/gallery/albums/userpics/10035/P7110124.JPG)


Quote from: 'gnome' pid='92325' dateline='1468135606'I really want one of the 3 denticles, :)


And the single one :)


When you get a chance, would like to see the other dated ones as well, please.

they are the hardest
I only have 4 full sets of them but did sell a single denticle pattern years ago and still regret doing that!!  Mostly have more of the 2 denticles
Title: RE: Have you been a winner on Facebook
Post by: r9453 on July 10, 2016, 05:41:31 PM
Thank you for sharing those very informative pics and a real eye opener. :yahoo:
Title: RE: Have you been a winner on Facebook
Post by: Robster on July 10, 2016, 06:26:46 PM
Super cool coins one and all! :wavemulticolor:
Title: RE: Have you been a winner on Facebook
Post by: robbiegal on July 10, 2016, 06:50:44 PM
bet you have a few of those '64's possum
Title: RE: Have you been a winner on Facebook
Post by: gnome on July 10, 2016, 07:38:43 PM
appreciate the pics and info, robbiegal, thanks. :) I've got a folder full of 53 halfpennies I haven't even looked at yet.
Title: RE: Have you been a winner on Facebook
Post by: robbiegal on July 10, 2016, 08:21:54 PM
grab the loupie and off you go!! :)
Title: RE: Have you been a winner on Facebook
Post by: autocoupler on July 10, 2016, 11:45:22 PM
Excellent info and pics RG and G, thanks for posting. Those denticle patterns are exactly the same as whats on the 1921 halfpenny, aren't they? Does anyone know what the cause is? One would think it must be a mechanical issue of sorts, and looks like the pattern from some kind of  small indexing plate or similar? :scratch_one-s_head:
Title: RE: Have you been a winner on Facebook
Post by: markn on July 11, 2016, 07:35:36 AM
Great posts there Robbie.  You should do a CAB article!
Title: RE: Have you been a winner on Facebook
Post by: robbiegal on July 11, 2016, 09:02:00 PM
yes auto I reckon they are
i almost took a photo of a rather nice grade 'denticles over ALF' halfpenny but realized I was getting carried away

thanks for the vote of confidence Mark
Dave Guy reckons he wrote an article for CAB on that error - I have never seen the article (yet anyways)
Title: RE: Have you been a winner on Facebook
Post by: r9453 on July 17, 2016, 05:22:21 AM
This one is still for sale, for once the images are not too bad:

(http://i.imgur.com/9kiF5QH.jpg)

Final price was $36.
Title: RE: Have you been a winner on Facebook
Post by: gnome on May 16, 2017, 11:27:25 AM
Arrived today, from one of the fb pages, a couple of slabbed 2c pieces.
1973 Perth  2 cent piece , bonus being Perth as getting harder to find in a reasonable grade, from what I can remember  about the decimals.
(http://www.australian-coins.net/gallery/albums/userpics/10012/DSCF5458_edited_edited.jpg)
(http://www.australian-coins.net/gallery/albums/userpics/10012/DSCF5457_edited_edited.jpg)

Also this pretty nice 68 2cent pieces
(http://www.australian-coins.net/gallery/albums/userpics/10012/DSCF5456_edited_edited.jpg)
Title: RE: Have you been a winner on Facebook
Post by: autocoupler on May 16, 2017, 12:33:02 PM
The early decimal coppers with red must be getting scarce G. On another note, I kept a lookout for you at the Bris coin expo on Saturday, but after a while I realised recognition was going to be a whole different story :dash1: Not saying the years haven't been kind, but it has been 10 or 11 :angel:
Title: RE: Have you been a winner on Facebook
Post by: gnome on May 16, 2017, 01:13:56 PM
Same here mate, was on the look out for  some familiar faces as well , I was there all day with cruzi, (conned out of retirement for the day), then back on Sunday till about 1 as well. Sorry I didn't catch up with you. Got there early saturday morning around 8, but there were already some that had been there from about 4 am. :) I had an image from about 11 years ago myself. :)
Title: RE: Have you been a winner on Facebook
Post by: runway on May 16, 2017, 10:37:28 PM
Quote from: 'r9453' pid='92705' dateline='1468698741'This one is still for sale, for once the images are not too bad:

(http://i.imgur.com/9kiF5QH.jpg)

Final price was $36.
I would never buy an APCGS slabbed coin
Title: RE: Have you been a winner on Facebook
Post by: gnome on May 17, 2017, 08:07:23 AM
Just having a squiz at the pop report, surprised the 73 2 cent  64 RB is in the top 3 of that grade, if I read that right. :)
http://www.pcgs.com/pop/detail.aspx?c=5072
No mention of Perth as the mint.
Title: RE: Have you been a winner on Facebook
Post by: stevo1962 on May 17, 2017, 12:07:34 PM
Quote from: 'gnome' pid='108622' dateline='1494974243'Just having a squiz at the pop report, surprised the 73 2 cent  64 RB is in the top 3 of that grade, if I read that right. :)
http://www.pcgs.com/pop/detail.aspx?c=5072
No mention of Perth as the mint.

Top grade is actually MS67RD and there are 18 of them
Title: RE: Have you been a winner on Facebook
Post by: gnome on May 17, 2017, 12:29:12 PM
Thanks, bit of a tongue in cheek joke, saw that, but was having a look at the rb's ,only 3 there :)
Title: RE: Have you been a winner on Facebook
Post by: runway on May 17, 2017, 08:46:44 PM
Quote from: 'gnome' pid='108590' dateline='1494906236'Same here mate, was on the look out for  some familiar faces as well , I was there all day with cruzi, (conned out of retirement for the day), then back on Sunday till about 1 as well. Sorry I didn't catch up with you. Got there early saturday morning around 8, but there were already some that had been there from about 4 am. :) I had an image from about 11 years ago myself. :)
I remember cruzi had a blog years ago gnome is he still active ?
Title: RE: Have you been a winner on Facebook
Post by: gnome on May 19, 2017, 03:35:12 PM
Sorry runway, just saw your post. Unfortunately not at this stage , but I did see a twinkle in the eyes a few times. One day perhaps :)
Title: RE: Have you been a winner on Facebook
Post by: gnome on June 05, 2017, 11:49:07 AM
Bought as a diecrack, and added bonus with a clashed die, I believe as well.
(http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t13/compassnorth/Gnomes%20Aussie%20Decimals%20Album/DSCF6691_edited_zpsr6rpsog1.jpg) (http://s156.photobucket.com/user/compassnorth/media/Gnomes%20Aussie%20Decimals%20Album/DSCF6691_edited_zpsr6rpsog1.jpg.html)
(http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t13/compassnorth/Gnomes%20Aussie%20Decimals%20Album/DSCF6694_edited_zpskysd5t3u.jpg) (http://s156.photobucket.com/user/compassnorth/media/Gnomes%20Aussie%20Decimals%20Album/DSCF6694_edited_zpskysd5t3u.jpg.html)
Title: RE: Have you been a winner on Facebook
Post by: gnome on June 11, 2017, 10:14:35 AM
Latest arrival and upgrade, a 1921 1d ddo . (double die obverse)
Replacing photobucket image.
(http://i.imgur.com/uSqiGuk.jpg)
Title: RE: Have you been a winner on Facebook
Post by: echidna on June 11, 2017, 10:59:40 AM
Quote from: 'gnome' pid='109298' dateline='1497141875'Latest arrival and upgrade, a 1921 1d ddo . (double die obverse)


Very nice.
Title: RE: Have you been a winner on Facebook
Post by: gnome on June 11, 2017, 11:43:25 AM
Thanks echi, :) very pleased with it.
Title: RE: Have you been a winner on Facebook
Post by: gnome on July 09, 2017, 01:36:29 PM
Another recent one, my first NGC slab, as well.
(http://i.imgur.com/CqkGND2.jpg)(http://i.imgur.com/iy2uYIt.jpg?1)
Title: RE: Have you been a winner on Facebook
Post by: gnome on July 21, 2017, 01:01:00 PM
Latest one to arrive, my first decimal one.
(http://i.imgur.com/gFVNZb4.jpg?1)(http://i.imgur.com/5xNzreB.jpg?1)
Title: RE: Have you been a winner on Facebook
Post by: Unicorn on July 21, 2017, 01:11:53 PM
Gee that is nice, lovely coin! :good:
Title: RE: Have you been a winner on Facebook
Post by: gnome on July 21, 2017, 01:13:48 PM
Thanks, cost me a few car payments but I reckon it was worth it. :)
Title: RE: Have you been a winner on Facebook
Post by: Unicorn on July 21, 2017, 01:17:15 PM
Certainly was. Look at the huge Elizabeth head on the reverse!!!!
Title: RE: Have you been a winner on Facebook
Post by: autocoupler on July 23, 2017, 01:57:26 PM
Quote from: 'gnome' pid='110225' dateline='1500607860'Latest one to arrive, my first decimal one.
(http://i.imgur.com/gFVNZb4.jpg?1)(http://i.imgur.com/5xNzreB.jpg?1)

Love it G, and no arguments about it missing the SD either :laugh2:.
Title: RE: Have you been a winner on Facebook
Post by: matttheriley on July 26, 2017, 09:31:04 AM
Hi, Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I have this coin listed for auction on Facebook right now.  It's on a group called "Australian Coins, Banknotes, Collectables - Buy Swap Sell".  I thought it may be of interest to the members here.  It ends Friday July 28th at 9:00 pm Australian Eastern Standard Time.

(//%5BURL=http://s1383.photobucket.com/user/matttheriley/media/KOTCT/IMG_20170721_182106_zps17wngkec.jpg.html%5D%5BIMG%5Dhttp://i1383.photobucket.com/albums/ah319/matttheriley/KOTCT/IMG_20170721_182106_zps17wngkec.jpg)[/URL][/img]


(http://i1383.photobucket.com/albums/ah319/matttheriley/KOTCT/IMG_20170721_182001_zpsirqmnpas.jpg) (http://s1383.photobucket.com/user/matttheriley/media/KOTCT/IMG_20170721_182001_zpsirqmnpas.jpg.html)
Title: RE: Have you been a winner on Facebook
Post by: stevo1962 on August 20, 2017, 07:55:56 PM
Bought a couple of sixpences from a guy on facebook a while back and was surprised
        when I got the results back today  MS64  and  MS65

        (http://www.australian-coins.net/gallery/albums/userpics/10137/1935a.jpg)
        (http://www.australian-coins.net/gallery/albums/userpics/10137/1935b.jpg)
Title: RE: Have you been a winner on Facebook
Post by: ausproofs on August 20, 2017, 09:26:10 PM
Thats an awesome result mate. Well done !
Title: RE: Have you been a winner on Facebook
Post by: echidna on August 20, 2017, 09:56:49 PM
Wow.
I will have to reconsider facebook.
Title: RE: Have you been a winner on Facebook
Post by: stevo1962 on August 20, 2017, 10:04:47 PM
Quote from: 'echidna' pid='110908' dateline='1503232009'Wow.
I will have to reconsider facebook.

A lot of sellers are trying to avoid ebay fees
Title: RE: Have you been a winner on Facebook
Post by: keldaw on August 21, 2017, 11:32:25 AM
every time I list multi items on eBay in the one listing they always knock back 2 or 3 of my pic out of 6 , it is very frustrating for me , so I don't list much with them anymore .
Title: RE: Have you been a winner on Facebook
Post by: robbiegal on August 21, 2017, 12:29:51 PM
Good to see someone who deserves a break get a break!  
Well done mate.
Title: RE: Have you been a winner on Facebook
Post by: Unicorn on August 21, 2017, 12:46:46 PM
Simply WOW Stevo!!!

Lovely coins and the hardest KGV date too!!!!
Title: RE: Have you been a winner on Facebook
Post by: Cockatoo Coins on August 21, 2017, 03:58:30 PM
I had a few wins on FB recently aswell. Was quite happy with the results from this batch.

[attachment=3683]
Title: RE: Have you been a winner on Facebook
Post by: stevo1962 on August 21, 2017, 04:39:29 PM
Quote from: 'Cockatoo Coins' pid='110925' dateline='1503296910'I had a few wins on FB recently aswell. Was quite happy with the results from this batch.



Looks like we were shopping at the same store
Title: RE: Have you been a winner on Facebook
Post by: Unicorn on August 21, 2017, 04:53:41 PM
Stevo, excuse my lack of FB coin knowledge but are there stores on there? I knew there are about 3 Aussie coin groups but didn't know about stores.
Title: RE: Have you been a winner on Facebook
Post by: stevo1962 on August 21, 2017, 05:09:23 PM
Quote from: 'Unicorn' pid='110927' dateline='1503300221coins 'Stevo, excuse my lack of FB coin knowledge but are there stores on there? I knew there are about 3 Aussie coin groups but didn't know about stores.

There are a lot more than 3 coin groups but I tend to keep an eye on people who sell the good coins.There are no stores as such
Title: RE: Have you been a winner on Facebook
Post by: Unicorn on August 21, 2017, 05:42:24 PM
Thanks for that Stevo! :good: I must look for the other groups.
Title: RE: Have you been a winner on Facebook
Post by: JeffH on August 21, 2017, 06:24:22 PM
I have seen many comments about dubious sellers on FB. How do I determine who is a reliable, trustworthy seller?
Title: RE: Have you been a winner on Facebook
Post by: stevo1962 on August 21, 2017, 07:00:27 PM
Quote from: 'JeffH' pid='110930' dateline='1503305662'I have seen many comments about dubious sellers on FB. How do I determine who is a reliable, trustworthy seller?
You have to get involved .make friends and learn who are the reliable sellers.If I'm not
sure or worried about someone I will message a few people for information on them
Title: RE: Have you been a winner on Facebook
Post by: ausproofs on August 26, 2017, 06:47:35 PM
Hey Folks, Any good Facebook sales/discussion groups you can recommend ? I couldn't find any good ones yet.
Title: RE: Have you been a winner on Facebook
Post by: runway on August 26, 2017, 10:44:53 PM
Avoid eBay for coins there's too many fraudsters listing nowadays. Facebook is much better once you sort the decent members and groups
Title: RE: Have you been a winner on Facebook
Post by: r9453 on August 27, 2017, 01:01:32 AM
Quote from: 'ausproofs' pid='111045' dateline='1503739055'Any good Facebook sales/discussion groups you can recommend ? I couldn't find any good ones yet.

There are none, hence you cannot find any.
Title: RE: Have you been a winner on Facebook
Post by: ausproofs on August 27, 2017, 05:57:53 AM
Quote from: 'r9453' pid='111048' dateline='1503761492'
Quote from: 'ausproofs' pid='111045' dateline='1503739055'Any good Facebook sales/discussion groups you can recommend ? I couldn't find any good ones yet.

There are none, hence you cannot find any.

Thanks for that.. thats what I thought ..
Title: RE: Have you been a winner on Facebook
Post by: stevo1962 on August 27, 2017, 07:14:41 AM
Quote from: 'ausproofs' pid='111045' dateline='1503739055'Hey Folks, Any good Facebook sales/discussion groups you can recommend ? I couldn't find any good ones yet.

It's about the coins and the people which you will find on the various groups and which you have to keep an eye open for.Discussions on various groups are like a broken record and cover the same questions that keep getting asked so most experienced collectors avoid these discussions and just concentrate on following their preferred collecting subject.So its a matter of searching till you find what you need.Facebook means different things to different people
Title: RE: Have you been a winner on Facebook
Post by: ausproofs on August 27, 2017, 08:05:58 AM
Thanks Stevo, will keep looking..
Title: RE: Have you been a winner on Facebook
Post by: stevo1962 on August 27, 2017, 08:32:33 AM
Quote from: 'ausproofs' pid='111055' dateline='1503786958'Thanks Stevo, will keep looking..

Actually you could try the "Gravy Train" which is simply a show and tell group with no selling.You'll see some high end collectors and what they've recently bought or had graded.There are some discussions also

   https://www.facebook.com/groups/1060165860737826/
Title: RE: Have you been a winner on Facebook
Post by: ausproofs on August 27, 2017, 08:39:45 AM
Quote from: 'stevo1962' pid='111057' dateline='1503788553'
Quote from: 'ausproofs' pid='111055' dateline='1503786958'Thanks Stevo, will keep looking..

Actually you could try the "Gravy Train" which is simply a show and tell group with no selling.You'll see some high end collectors and what they've recently bought or had graded.There are some discussions also

   https://www.facebook.com/groups/1060165860737826/

:wavemulticolor: Thanks very much !
Title: RE: Have you been a winner on Facebook
Post by: stevo1962 on September 15, 2017, 07:48:26 PM
A recent Facebook purchase as a raw coin .Pretty happy with an MS64RD result

(http://www.australian-coins.net/gallery/albums/userpics/10137/1933a.jpg)
Title: RE: Have you been a winner on Facebook
Post by: echidna on September 15, 2017, 07:52:42 PM
Quote from: 'stevo1962' pid='111649' dateline='1505470706'A recent Facebook purchase as a raw coin .Pretty happy with an MS64RD result

very nice
Title: RE: Have you been a winner on Facebook
Post by: Unicorn on September 15, 2017, 09:08:37 PM
Wow, lovely coin Stevo! :good:
Title: RE: Have you been a winner on Facebook
Post by: autocoupler on September 15, 2017, 11:57:26 PM
Yep!! That's nice!!
Title: RE: Have you been a winner on Facebook
Post by: Robster on September 16, 2017, 01:39:12 AM
Ripper!
Title: RE: Have you been a winner on Facebook
Post by: stevo1962 on December 30, 2017, 09:25:55 PM
Another nice Facebook win

(https://www.australian-coins.net/gallery/albums/userpics/10137/193/1927a_6p.jpg)
(https://www.australian-coins.net/gallery/albums/userpics/10137/193/1927b_6p.jpg)
Title: RE: Have you been a winner on Facebook
Post by: echidna on December 31, 2017, 11:08:22 AM
Quote from: 'stevo1962' pid='113526' dateline='1514631355'Another nice Facebook win


Nice coin 
Probably better in the hand than the pic
Title: RE: Have you been a winner on Facebook
Post by: stevo1962 on December 31, 2017, 11:21:00 AM
Quote from: 'echidna' pid='113529' dateline='1514680702'
Quote from: 'stevo1962' pid='113526' dateline='1514631355'Another nice Facebook win


Nice coin 
Probably better in the hand than the pic

I hope so Dave
Title: RE: Have you been a winner on Facebook
Post by: wwwww on December 31, 2017, 06:14:49 PM
Looks MS63
Title: RE: Have you been a winner on Facebook
Post by: Goldseeker on December 31, 2017, 06:44:28 PM
Where oh where on FACEBOOK does one find coins?
Title: RE: Have you been a winner on Facebook
Post by: ausjack on December 31, 2017, 07:24:38 PM
It was easier to say a few years ago but as there's so much fighting now between members and admin fighting there's too many pages to mention as every time there's a fight a new page starts. So do a search in the top left corner and type in "coins, buy trade and sell" "australian coins buy trade and sell" aussie coins etc and a HUGE list should appear. Some have a few hundred members and other have thousands but just because they have thousands of members doesn't mean thousands use it, the same as any site/forum/page. I'm a member of over 30 different coin groups now so it's hard trying to keep up with them all.
Here's a couple of the bigger groups with the most members.
No particular order, but some of the smaller groups are actually better as more people use them regularly
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1558870937724345/
https://www.facebook.com/groups/443687365651767/
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1809877675891703/
That should get you started GS so hope it helps :)
Title: RE: Have you been a winner on Facebook
Post by: ausjack on December 31, 2017, 07:30:11 PM
Oop's, looks like you'll have to log into FB to see the pages
Title: RE: Have you been a winner on Facebook
Post by: stevo1962 on December 31, 2017, 08:02:26 PM
Quote from: 'wwwww' pid='113535' dateline='1514706289'Looks MS63

I could accept that for a $107 purchase