Australian-Coins Forum

Australian Coins, Banknotes and Exonumia => Australian Errors and Varieties => Topic started by: Nevol on May 10, 2014, 08:19:04 AM

Title: Decimal Upsets
Post by: Nevol on May 10, 2014, 08:19:04 AM
I decided to start this thread in an attempt to keep all the available info on Decimal Upsets in one place, so I've just updated my list of known Decimal Upsets.
----------------------
$2 1995 (Unconfirmed)
$2 1988 Elder Confirmed by image posted by Unicorn, P3 of this thread 
---------------------------------
$1 1985 MoR (Steveqld)
$1 1996 Parkes @ 320° Confirmed Nancy
$1 1996 Parkes @ 330° Confirmed Bruce
$1 1996 Parkes @ 340° Confirmed Bruce
$1 1996 Parkes @ 336° Confirmed Hercules (Image below)
$1 1999 IYoOP @ Various (Confirmed Kel))
$1 2001 COF Various degrees
$1 2002 Outback @ 30°
$1 2005 MoR @ approx 23° Confirmed (Unicorn's Image)
$1 2006 MoR @ 16° Confirmed (Unicorn's Image)
---------------------------------
50c 2010  @ 30°
50c 2006 @ 180° (Ebay)
---------------------------------
20¢ 2000 @ 30°
20c 2000 10-12°
20c 2000 10-12°
20¢ 2001 Various degrees
20c 2001 CoF SA approx 20° gnome 18 Jul 2017
20c 2001 almost 180°
20¢ 2004 10-12°
20c 2006 10-12°
20c 2006 310° Ebay
20c 2013 10-12°
20c 2014 320° PJ
---------------------------------
10¢ 1966 Various degrees - under 45° or over 315°.
---------------------------------
5c 1996 @ 270° Confirmed by Emu666
---------------------------------
2¢ 1966  @ 330°
2c 1968 @ 10 o'clock Confirmed by Emu666
2c 1982 @ 10 o'clock Confirmed by Emu666
---------------------------------
1c 1968 (Unconfirmed)
----------------------

I will be able to post some images, but I don't have examples of all the ones on my list, so please feel free to post images of any/all that you do have. :winkextra:

If you have examples of or know of any Decimal Upsets that aren't on my list, please tell us about them as well.  I will update the list with any new ones advised.

I've changed the degree on some of the 20c to 10-12°, due to my not being 100% certain that I'm getting the obv in exactly the correct upright position.  

List updated with new info 11 Aug 2014 - 16:54
List updated with new info 25 Aug 2016 - 20:52
List updated with new info 26 Feb 2018
List updated with new info 26 Jan 2020
Title: RE: Decimal Upsets
Post by: Goldseeker on May 10, 2014, 09:30:59 AM
Hmm, more than what I thought in regards to the $1 upsets.

I shall have to look more.

Thanks for the list Nevol.
Title: RE: Decimal Upsets
Post by: purplepennyhunter on May 10, 2014, 09:55:18 AM
I need to look a bit more closely. Thanks Nancy.
Title: RE: Decimal Upsets
Post by: emu666 on May 10, 2014, 10:37:17 AM
5c 1966 London (I have seen 9 o'clock; there may be others)

2c 1968 10 c'clock
2c 1982 10 o'clock


Your 1966 10c are of course London.

I recall 2 different angles for 1996 Parkes dollar.
Title: RE: Decimal Upsets
Post by: Unicorn on May 10, 2014, 10:38:08 AM
Here's a pic of a 2005 (left) next to a standard 2010 (right) for comparison. (I haven't measured the upset yet).

I'll post a pic of a 2006 as soon as I can.

(http://www.australian-coins.net/gallery/albums/userpics/11067/2005_1_rot_1.jpg)

(http://www.australian-coins.net/gallery/albums/userpics/11067/2005_1_rot_2.jpg)
Title: RE: Decimal Upsets
Post by: Robster on May 10, 2014, 10:47:16 AM
Recycling at its best.!! (2x2's).!!  :good:
Title: RE: Decimal Upsets
Post by: Unicorn on May 10, 2014, 10:54:25 AM
:laugh2: .... yeah, a bit ordinary but do the job. (Odd looking florins aren't they :angel: normally they just have the one roo).

Here's the 2006 scanned next to the 2005 from above. (To see which is greater / lesser).

There doesn't seem to be too much difference in the degree of rotation.

Will muck around later and try to get the actual degree for both.

(http://www.australian-coins.net/gallery/albums/userpics/11067/2006_1_rot_1.jpg)

(http://www.australian-coins.net/gallery/albums/userpics/11067/2006_1_rot_2.jpg)
Title: RE: Decimal Upsets
Post by: Nevol on May 10, 2014, 02:20:42 PM
Quote from: 'emu666' pid='48697' dateline='1399684037'5c 1966 London (I have seen 9 o'clock; there may be others):
2c 1968 10 c'clock
2c 1982 10 o'clock
Excellent stuff!

QuoteYour 1966 10c are of course London.
Spot on!

QuoteI recall 2 different angles for 1996 Parkes dollar.
I have one that's about 330° Rotated and I think I bought another one in the last year or so, but can't find where I put it. :dontknow:

Most of the images I have are scans, so I want to re-do them all using my scope.  Might take me a while as I'm being a bit lazy at present.
Title: RE: Decimal Upsets
Post by: ausjack on May 11, 2014, 05:06:49 AM
I think Jeff might have sold an upset parks recently, getting a good list going there Nevol, thanks mate :good:
Title: RE: Decimal Upsets
Post by: JeffH on May 11, 2014, 05:56:18 AM
No, not me. Was it Unicorn? I can recall someone mentioning find one.
Title: RE: Decimal Upsets
Post by: ausjack on May 11, 2014, 06:17:59 AM
Ah sorry Jeff yeah I think it was Uni now, memory like a sieve mate :winkextra:
Title: RE: Decimal Upsets
Post by: Goldseeker on May 11, 2014, 09:32:24 AM
I have found several of the Parkes upset but they are getting harder to find now.
Title: RE: Decimal Upsets
Post by: Nevol on May 11, 2014, 09:33:50 AM
Quote from: 'Goldseeker' pid='48802' dateline='1399766544'I have found several of the Parkes upset but they are getting harder to find now.
Are they all upset to the same degree?
Title: RE: Decimal Upsets
Post by: Goldseeker on May 11, 2014, 09:41:17 AM
Pretty well to the same degree of upset.   In saying that, there are two lots of upsets, one not so rotated as the other.   But both show the Queen leaning backwards.
Title: RE: Decimal Upsets
Post by: Unicorn on May 11, 2014, 09:55:56 AM
Found the thread where Goldie describes the two Parkes offsets.

Two Parkes (http://www.australian-coins.net/showthread.php?tid=1613&pid=27272)
Title: RE: Decimal Upsets
Post by: Nevol on May 11, 2014, 11:23:45 AM
Quote from: 'Goldseeker' pid='48805' dateline='1399767077'Pretty well to the same degree of upset.   In saying that, there are two lots of upsets, one not so rotated as the other.   But both show the Queen leaning backwards.
Hey Goldy, can I please 'tinker' with your Parkes piccies from the other thread that Uni gave us the link to?  I'd like to edit them all into one image and put the approx degree of rotation that I calculate on them.
Title: RE: Decimal Upsets
Post by: Goldseeker on May 11, 2014, 01:09:06 PM
By all means do Nevol.   I believe that anything that is put up in this forum can be used by anyone.   I appreciate you asking permission if my previous comment is not correct.

I shall do the same with my rotations and notify you of the degrees that I calculate/determine.
Title: RE: Decimal Upsets
Post by: markn on May 13, 2014, 09:11:16 AM
I've put this list up on the Australian Coin Wiki (http://wiki.australian-coins.net/wiki/australian-coins/decimal-coins/known-decimal-upsets/).  Nancy when you're done with the images let me know and I'll post them up on there too.
Title: RE: Decimal Upsets
Post by: Nevol on May 13, 2014, 09:36:19 AM
Quote from: 'markn' pid='48974' dateline='1399938076'I've put this list up on the Australian Coin Wiki (http://wiki.australian-coins.net/wiki/australian-coins/decimal-coins/known-decimal-upsets/).  Nancy when you're done with the images let me know and I'll post them up on there too.
I just updated the list re the Parkes Upsets, Mine works out at 320°, and Bruce's 2 are at 330° & 340°, piccies a bit later.
Title: RE: Decimal Upsets
Post by: Goldseeker on May 13, 2014, 12:09:53 PM
If you wish to incorporate my scans with Nevol,s, then please go ahead.

Nothing secret about my scans.
Title: RE: Decimal Upsets
Post by: Nevol on May 13, 2014, 02:46:03 PM
Parkes piccies:

$1 1996 Parkes Goldy's 2 Plus Nevol's – Multi
(http://www.australian-coins.net/gallery/albums/userpics/10007/_1_1996_Parkes_Goldy_s_2_Plus_Mine_v2_-__Multi.jpg)
Title: RE: Decimal Upsets
Post by: Nevol on May 14, 2014, 02:05:44 PM
These are the 3 x 1966 10c Upsets that I have.

10c 1966 Duo Upset 345° #1
(http://www.australian-coins.net/gallery/albums/userpics/10007/10c_1966_Duo_Upset_345deg__1-horz.jpg)

10c 1966 Duo Upset 310° #2
(http://www.australian-coins.net/gallery/albums/userpics/10007/10c_1966_Duo_Upset_310deg__2-horz.jpg)

10c 1966 Duo Upset 70° #3
(http://www.australian-coins.net/gallery/albums/userpics/10007/10c_1966_Duo_Upset_70deg__3-horz.jpg)

I realised I'd made a mistake in the original List, so have made a temporary correction for now, so people can see where I went wrong.  I also have one entry that I can't see where I got the info from, may have to make another correction.
Title: 2000 & 2004 20c Upset about 10°
Post by: Nevol on August 06, 2014, 03:59:33 PM
I was searching for my stash of 2001 20c Upsets and when I found them I was surprised to find a few from different years.  I can't remember when I found them originally, so obviously it had to be some time after the 2004 started circulating.  Both appear to be approx 10° Upset, the 2nd 2004 I have is maybe only 8°, all have the platypus reverse.

I now have:
1 x 2000
2 x 2004
8 x 2001

20c 2000 Upset 10°   
(http://www.australian-coins.net/gallery/albums/userpics/10007/20c_2000_Upset_10deg__Duo.jpg)

20c 2004 Upset 10°   
(http://www.australian-coins.net/gallery/albums/userpics/10007/20c_2004_SmHd_Upset_10deg_Duo.jpg)
Title: RE: 2000 & 2004 20c Upset about 10°
Post by: JeffH on August 06, 2014, 04:09:23 PM
Wow Nancy. I will have to add 2004 to my must check when noodling list.
And you need change the decimal upsets list to show that as confirmed.
Title: RE: 2000 & 2004 20c Upset about 10°
Post by: Nevol on August 06, 2014, 04:33:39 PM
OMG, I just looked at the Decimal Upset thread and can't even remember doing it.  Thanks for reminding me Jeff.  I have now updated it, but want to re-check it to make sure it's up to date with any that others have notified finding.  Might see if I can move these posts over to it. Success! :dance2:
Title: RE: Show us your Upsets.
Post by: Nevol on August 11, 2014, 01:24:04 PM
As a result of getting all my coins sorted, I have these images to add:

20c 2000 Upset approx 10°   
(http://www.australian-coins.net/gallery/albums/userpics/10007/20c_2000_Upset_10deg__Duo.jpg)

20c 2001 P'Pus Upset approx 10°
(http://www.australian-coins.net/gallery/albums/userpics/10007/20c_2001_P_Pus_Upset_C1_Duo.jpg)

20c 2004 Sm Head Upset approx 10°     
(http://www.australian-coins.net/gallery/albums/userpics/10007/20c_2004_SmHd_Upset_10deg_Duo.jpg)

20c 2006 C2 Upset approx 12°     
(http://www.australian-coins.net/gallery/albums/userpics/10007/20c_2006_Duo_C2_Upset_10deg.jpg)

20c 2013 C1 Upset approx 12°     
(http://www.australian-coins.net/gallery/albums/userpics/10007/20c_2013_Duo_C1_Upset_12deg.jpg)
Title: RE: Decimal Upsets
Post by: Goldseeker on August 11, 2014, 06:12:44 PM
Talking about upsets, I should offer up my scans of my 2001 COF Upsets, all 280 odd or so that I have left here at home.
Title: RE: Decimal Upsets
Post by: Steveqld on August 16, 2014, 05:11:34 PM
Rotated 2001 20 cent.  Not quite 180 degrees:

(http://www.australian-coins.net/gallery/albums/userpics/10124/rotated_2001_20_cent_composite.jpg)
Title: RE: Decimal Upsets
Post by: Unicorn on August 16, 2014, 05:50:09 PM
That is an absolute pearler Steve!!!!

Wow!

What a great upset. :yahoo:
Title: RE: Decimal Upsets
Post by: ausjack on August 16, 2014, 06:00:35 PM
Yeah second that, well done Steve :good:
Title: RE: Decimal Upsets
Post by: Nevol on August 16, 2014, 08:39:35 PM
That's a real pearler Steve.  :yahoo:  I'd love to find one just like it.
Title: RE: Decimal Upsets
Post by: Ozcoins on August 16, 2014, 09:35:05 PM
Very nice Steve!
Title: RE: Decimal Upsets
Post by: markn on August 17, 2014, 07:36:52 AM
Great find Steve!  There's a rare variety that gets almost no attention.
Title: RE: Decimal Upsets
Post by: JeffH on August 17, 2014, 08:41:34 AM
Well, I have found a few 2001 20¢ upsets but nothing like that amount of rotation.
That's a great find.
Title: RE: Decimal Upsets
Post by: ausjack on August 17, 2014, 09:29:15 PM
I have one I'd think about selling if the price is right :)
Title: RE: Decimal Upsets
Post by: keldaw on August 18, 2014, 08:05:27 AM
:drooling:   now wait a minute A J  are you sure you have one , now come on no

fibbing now , you cant expect people to buy it if they cant see a

picture of it :beg: come on let,s see it :sun_bespectacled::sun_bespectacled:
Title: RE: Decimal Upsets
Post by: ausjack on August 18, 2014, 08:52:42 AM
I go get pic :ok:

:)
(http://i58.tinypic.com/1z4loy9.jpg)
(http://i61.tinypic.com/65sjtf.jpg)
Title: RE: Decimal Upsets
Post by: Unicorn on August 18, 2014, 10:37:27 AM
Cool AJ ..... you'll have to make a clock .....

..... or I suppose in your case a two bob watch!
Title: RE: Decimal Upsets
Post by: ausjack on August 18, 2014, 10:56:33 AM
unless it's a big rotation I really couldn't be bothered any more and same as cuds as I have way to many coins :dash1:

Jeff's is cool :good:
Title: RE: Decimal Upsets
Post by: Pedro on August 18, 2014, 11:19:52 AM
Nice one AJ!

Pedro
Title: RE: Decimal Upsets
Post by: keldaw on August 18, 2014, 01:16:35 PM
hey uni , I was gunna say that . make a 2 bob watch to go beside

goldie,s dollar one , but same thing I am not quick enough .  ,, kel ,,
Title: RE: Decimal Upsets
Post by: Unicorn on August 18, 2014, 02:02:22 PM
Great minds Kel!
Title: RE: Decimal Upsets
Post by: r9453 on August 01, 2016, 01:06:54 PM
I saw this on Facebook:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/172286637933

(http://i.imgur.com/dLZEQkV.jpg)
Title: RE: Decimal Upsets
Post by: Unicorn on August 01, 2016, 03:17:55 PM
Gee, don't want to be the devil's avocado ....... :diablo: .... (hopefully the Ronny Johns fans will get that one) ...... but ....... I'd believe it if I had it in my hot little hands .... gave up on trying to confirm that video of one as it was too blurry when flipped .....

At a quick squizz, the obverse pics in the listing seem to be the same coin, but these are two different pics of the reverse, with my thoughts on differences circled.

(http://www.australian-coins.net/gallery/albums/userpics/11067/devil.jpg)

Not saying it's not the goods ..... but it's pretty easy to pull out a staple and put it back.

Quite happy to be proven wrong.
Title: RE: Decimal Upsets
Post by: r9453 on August 01, 2016, 03:56:55 PM
Without going into too much detail, the story on Facebook was slightly convoluted. As is the norm no one raised an eyebrow.
Title: RE: Decimal Upsets
Post by: Ozcoins on August 01, 2016, 05:27:54 PM
Are you able to sumarise for those that don't use Facebook?
Title: RE: Decimal Upsets
Post by: trout on August 01, 2016, 06:11:41 PM
The only way to image something like this would be to do the "Mirror Shot" :ok:
Anyway it is on Facelick AND ePay so it HAS to be Kosher :angel::laugh2:
Title: RE: Decimal Upsets
Post by: r9453 on August 02, 2016, 12:51:21 AM
The images that I posted above were on facebook. Someone commented that it was not the same coin as the one in the Ebay listing and the OP did not refute this. The general consensus was that it was a good thing that there were two of these rather than only one. The OP received her coin from a cousin who found it in Canberra and consigned it via registered mail. Everyone agreed that she was indeed a lucky girl.
Title: RE: Decimal Upsets
Post by: trout on August 02, 2016, 01:27:20 AM
If the coin is genuine then Good on them for finding it :good:
However the $2,500 price tag for this is somewhat "Ambitious" I think.
Title: RE: Decimal Upsets
Post by: Ozcoins on August 02, 2016, 03:19:38 PM
Thanks r9423.
It would be great if someone trusted was able to verify this was real or not.
Title: RE: Decimal Upsets
Post by: Goldseeker on August 02, 2016, 05:24:48 PM
Quote from: 'Ozcoins' pid='93637' dateline='1470116978'Thanks r9423.
It would be great if someone trusted was able to verify this was real or not.

I have just sent the seller a request to view the item before I make an offer or bid.

Lets see if I get a reply.
Title: RE: Decimal Upsets
Post by: Goldseeker on August 02, 2016, 08:04:19 PM
Quote from: 'Goldseeker' pid='93644' dateline='1470124488'
Quote from: 'Ozcoins' pid='93637' dateline='1470116978'Thanks r9423.
It would be great if someone trusted was able to verify this was real or not.

I have just sent the seller a request to view the item before I make an offer or bid.

Lets see if I get a reply.

I have the sellers reply:

"Yes that is possible. I live in Berwick. I have had the coin viewed by a few professionals prior to listing just to make sure it is a genuine coin. Feel free to call me xxxxxxxxxxx Thanks Peter"


If you still want certification that it is a real coin, let me know.
Title: RE: Decimal Upsets
Post by: trout on August 02, 2016, 08:40:40 PM
If it isn't that far to travel it would be worth going just to have a look as this, If genuine it's quite unusual and would be worth the trip just to see it :)
Title: RE: Decimal Upsets
Post by: Ozcoins on August 02, 2016, 10:34:01 PM
Thanks Goldy!
That is a lovely offer,  however,  as I am not in a position to buy the coin,  I think I would be wasting your (and the sellers) time.
Title: RE: Decimal Upsets
Post by: robbiegal on August 02, 2016, 11:02:23 PM
$200-$300 tops
not $ 2,500

not a high grade unc
i might be wrong
but i might be right
Title: RE: Decimal Upsets
Post by: Goldseeker on August 03, 2016, 10:01:23 AM
I am in comms with the seller.

He has said that I can view the coin is required,

He has taken it into Universal Coins in Melbourne and after due examination have stated that they can't see anything wrong with the coin.

I spoke with the seller last night by phone and I got the impression that he is a genuine honest gent and I take him on face value as being genuine.

I am still thinking about making arrangements to see the coin in my hands.
Title: RE: Decimal Upsets
Post by: robbiegal on August 03, 2016, 05:28:12 PM
you go Goldie!!

fill u sin on the gos after you view the little treasure
Title: RE: Decimal Upsets
Post by: Goldseeker on August 05, 2016, 07:42:05 PM
Huh, I have lost contact with the gent.
Title: RE: Decimal Upsets
Post by: robbiegal on August 05, 2016, 08:11:08 PM
it's still on ebay
Title: RE: Decimal Upsets
Post by: runway on August 05, 2016, 09:55:29 PM
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/172286637933
Title: RE: Decimal Upsets
Post by: runway on August 05, 2016, 09:56:15 PM
Quote from: 'robbiegal' pid='93753' dateline='1470393668'it's still on ebay
Yes it is
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/172286637933
:idea::dodgy:
Title: RE: Decimal Upsets
Post by: Peejay on August 06, 2016, 01:27:37 PM
Hi all, this is my first post here. I am the owner of the upset 50 cent coin. I am more than happy for anyone to look at it. I don't want anyone to doubt that the coin is not genuine.
Title: RE: Decimal Upsets
Post by: Robster on August 06, 2016, 02:37:49 PM
Welcome, indeed a great find. :ok:
Title: RE: Decimal Upsets
Post by: Fr45h3R on August 06, 2016, 02:45:33 PM
Welcome.

Pretty cool coin. Good luck with the sale.
Title: RE: Decimal Upsets
Post by: Unicorn on August 06, 2016, 03:21:04 PM
Quote from: 'Peejay' pid='93775' dateline='1470455857'Hi all, this is my first post here. I am the owner of the upset 50 cent coin. I am more than happy for anyone to look at it. I don't want anyone to doubt that the coin is not genuine.

Welcome to the forum PJ.

It certainly has sparked some interest that such an error has remained undetected previously in the past 10 years with the large number of people here who noodle coins regularly.

Going back to one of my earlier posts (where I was more than happy to be proven wrong) the seems to be two different reverses shown in the ebay photos, just wondering about your thoughts in that regard.

If it proves to be a true and correct error then you are certainly holding a coin with an existence of "rocking horse sh&t" rare!!!

Would love to see some more pics if you can post them here, also perhaps the mirror photo test suggested by Trout (where both sides can be seen in the one image) that would be excellent!!!

Thanks for joining the forum, I hope you can share the great error with us in more detail.
Title: RE: Decimal Upsets
Post by: Goldseeker on August 06, 2016, 06:13:47 PM
Welcome peejay, I am glad you made it.   If the coin fails to sell, I am still interested in seeing it in person.   I might even make an offer for it at the same time.   Can you contact me again via email.   (Hopefully you still have it as I have somehow lost yours)).
Title: RE: Decimal Upsets
Post by: Peejay on August 06, 2016, 10:08:00 PM
Thanks for the welcome guys. I will get some more photo's with a mirror and post them soon. Just need to work out how to to post them here.
Title: RE: Decimal Upsets
Post by: Peejay on August 08, 2016, 03:22:10 PM
[attachment=3536]Here is a mirror shot
Title: RE: Decimal Upsets
Post by: trout on August 08, 2016, 04:34:06 PM
That's the money shot :good:
Title: RE: Decimal Upsets
Post by: Unicorn on August 08, 2016, 05:38:47 PM
Excellent PJ, thanks for going to the effort to take the photo and post it for us.

It certainly is in the "rocking horse ...." category that's for sure.
Title: RE: Decimal Upsets
Post by: JeffH on August 08, 2016, 05:50:43 PM
Yes, definitely as scarce as rocking horse wheels. I am still inclined to the theory that it is a mint sport. But that doesn't matter -it is what it is.
Title: RE: Decimal Upsets
Post by: Unicorn on August 08, 2016, 05:52:42 PM
:laugh2: ..... wheels ...... that's the word I was after!!! :angel:
Title: RE: Decimal Upsets
Post by: JeffH on August 08, 2016, 07:28:29 PM
Happy to help.
I did not know that exact expression but was able to work it out; maybe because I had previously heard one similar -'as scarce as hens fur'!
Title: RE: Decimal Upsets
Post by: Goldseeker on August 08, 2016, 09:14:44 PM
Or "as scarce as a kangaroo's feather" or "an honest cop".......!
Title: RE: Decimal Upsets
Post by: robbiegal on August 08, 2016, 09:30:59 PM
rare as hen's teeth
Title: RE: Decimal Upsets
Post by: JeffH on August 09, 2016, 06:11:13 AM
Certainly looks the goods. When I first heard about that one I added 2006 to my noodling special check list and must have looked at several thousand by now. I live in hope, but not high expectations, as another one does not ever seem to have been reported.
Title: RE: Decimal Upsets
Post by: r9453 on August 09, 2016, 06:23:12 AM
Quote from: 'JeffH' pid='93907' dateline='1470688873'I live in hope, but not high expectations, as another one does not ever seem to have been reported.

A second coin was claimed in the Facebook thread where I first saw this coin.
Title: RE: Decimal Upsets
Post by: Peejay on August 09, 2016, 12:52:08 PM
Yes there was another claim of finding one but somehow it was lost or spent by his daughter. My feeling is that it could be the same coin just found years later. I believe it to be a mint sport coin also.
Title: RE: Decimal Upsets
Post by: Goldseeker on August 10, 2016, 11:50:47 AM
"Mint sport coin"?
Title: RE: Decimal Upsets
Post by: trout on August 10, 2016, 11:52:38 AM
Quote from: 'Goldseeker' pid='94039' dateline='1470795647'"Mint sport coin"?

This is the term used for "Error" coins deliberately produced by the workers at a Mint.
Title: RE: Decimal Upsets
Post by: ausjack on August 10, 2016, 12:06:40 PM
Yes the 2007 double headed 5 cent is another good example of "mint sport" :dash1:

I seen your coin on FB PJ and didn't know what to make of it but now your a member here :winkextra:
Title: RE: Decimal Upsets
Post by: Peejay on August 25, 2016, 11:00:59 AM
[attachment=3541]Just found this upset 2014 20 cent. Anyone seen one before?

[attachment=3542]Other side
Title: RE: Decimal Upsets
Post by: JeffH on August 25, 2016, 11:18:56 AM
That's a new one for me. I will add it to my noodling 'must check' list. Hint to Nancy....maybe your list needs updating here.
Title: RE: Decimal Upsets
Post by: ausjack on August 25, 2016, 11:23:23 AM
Nice find PJ :good:
Title: RE: Decimal Upsets
Post by: markn on August 25, 2016, 11:39:13 AM
Nice looking upset PJ.
Title: RE: Decimal Upsets
Post by: robbiegal on August 25, 2016, 12:13:58 PM
maybe that should also be in the "20c Known Upsets" thread?
looks nice PJ
Title: RE: Decimal Upsets
Post by: Peejay on August 25, 2016, 12:53:20 PM
Thanks Guys, I've noticed on other members posts the photos are nice and big and mine are very small. Am I doing something wrong when uploading them?
Title: RE: Decimal Upsets
Post by: ausjack on August 25, 2016, 01:04:14 PM
I use a site called tinypic's to post photo's but there's heaps of info in the Testing and How-To section.
https://www.australian-coins.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=18
Title: RE: Decimal Upsets
Post by: Nevol on March 04, 2017, 11:06:24 AM
This image is of Hercules recently found 1996 Parkes upset coin.  

Hercules $1 Parkes Rotated 336°   

(http://www.australian-coins.net/gallery/albums/userpics/10007/Hercules__1_Parkes_Rotated_336deg.jpg)
Title: RE: Decimal Upsets
Post by: Nevol on December 23, 2017, 07:24:52 AM
Here are the images I received from Nick:

Aust 10 1966 NickR Upset C1
(https://www.australian-coins.net/gallery/albums/userpics/10007/217/NIckR_Upset_1966_10c_c1.jpg)
Aust 10 1966 NickR Upset C2
(https://www.australian-coins.net/gallery/albums/userpics/10007/217/NIckR_Upset_1966_10c_c2.jpg)
Title: RE: Decimal Upsets
Post by: Nevol on February 26, 2018, 09:58:54 AM
My OP has been updated. 2 additions noted thus. Both 20c Coins.

The 2001 20c CoF SA now confirmed as gnome's coin, see link below Post #901 & Pics at post #907. I estimate it to be approx 20°

:https://www.australian-coins.net/showthread.php?tid=303&pid=110143&highlight=a+first+for+me#pid110143 (https://www.australian-coins.net/showthread.php?tid=303&pid=110143&highlight=a+first+for+me#pid110143)
Title: RE: Decimal Upsets
Post by: JeffH on October 17, 2019, 07:20:26 AM
Here is my best 2001 20¢ upset find.
(https://www.australian-coins.net/gallery/albums/userpics/10055/160/20C2F_upset_2.jpg)(https://www.australian-coins.net/gallery/albums/userpics/10055/160/20C2F_upset_1.jpg)
Title: RE: Decimal Upsets
Post by: Unicorn on October 17, 2019, 07:24:37 AM
Very nice Jeff! Another very elusive one! :good:
Title: RE: Decimal Upsets
Post by: Nevol on October 17, 2019, 08:38:53 AM
Sweet! :yahoo:
Title: RE: Decimal Upsets
Post by: Pedro on October 17, 2019, 03:24:07 PM
Very nice Jeff. :good:  

Pedro
Title: RE: Decimal Upsets
Post by: fred lever on October 20, 2019, 09:39:56 AM
Nevol's thread is interesting, especially with the 20 cent pieces.
 I checked my database of varieties and found a bunch of 20c coins listed but  they are all after 1999.
Either I am dead unlucky and never noticed or there were not that many pree 2000.
Back in 2007 I conned myself by buying an "upset" 20c on ebay, conned because it was not upset but just shown in a 2x2 with the pointy bit of the queens bust at 6 oclock and so the reverse then is tilted at about 30deg going by the 20C writing and the rest of the image. Confused I then trawled through many 20 cent pieces and found some, where, if you placed her Majs bust pointy bit down the reverse side was bolt up right! Were they upset?
You would think even in those days the dies would be indexed to seconds and NO upsets possible. So, I contacted the Mint (in 2007) and asked them to clear the matter up: HOW can you tell what the correct orientation of the Queen is, so we can judge if a coin is upset? A very sensible and straightforward question. I mentioned the reverse side is easy to judge as the design has elements in it that can be used as a reference EG the 20. The obverse from 2000 onwards is a bit tricky  as none of the elements of the design are quite symmetrical. As an engineer I thought they would have indexing points on their punches and dies like I had when pressing things and could simply provide a reference point for an ignorant coin collector like me to use.
The answer I received was a non answer, could not say due to official secrets act and so on!
That made me write an article about it CAB oct 2007. Surely they were not just inserting the tools into the presses BY EYE? Speculation: maybe that's why most of the pre 2000 20c pieces were in line because the previous busts on the obverse had a clearly defined "top and bottom" just like the reverse has. Post 1999 the obverse is very hard to judge and some press guys just put the pointy bit at the bottom while others read the pressing instructions and alined "correctly" (queens nose and L of Australia at about 3 oclock).
I just never bothered to find out if there were Press instructions or indexing points on the tools.
Maybe someone  in the forum worked at the Mint on the presses and could clear that point up?
Fred.
Title: RE: Decimal Upsets
Post by: Mister T on October 20, 2019, 07:26:44 PM
Maybe have a look at the images on the RAM website and see if they're consistent? I assume they're from whatever is fed into the software that is used for die production these days.
Title: RE: Decimal Upsets
Post by: fred lever on October 22, 2019, 08:49:14 AM
Hi  Mr T, back then I went through 100's of images from lots of sources including the RAM and found the majority of them portrayed the side of coins in a position that made sense in a photographic way, that is "looked right".
That pretty much worked for pre 2000 coins but did not make quite fit for later coins around 2000 2002 with all the small variations where it seemed that the mint could not make up its mind. That led to me asking the  simple question of the RAM and then me retiring in confusion when given a stupid answer.
The problem is the original beautiful designs always had elements in them that provided a horizontal and vertical reference like the denomination number on the reverse or the symmetrical lettering on the obverse. The latest iteration of the obverse has Her Majesty jammed in where she fits with an assymetrical larger font. When you casually look at our current 20c pieces  is the pointy bit of the Mam's  bust supposed to be at 6 oclock, or, is Mam's nose supposed to be at 3 oclock?
Now get a bunch of 20 cent pieces of different dates from 2000, put them into 2 x 2's with the reverse alined  by setting the "20" nice and square. Now flip them over and check out how many angles the Queen can be at. Hey look a whole bunch of upsets!!!!
Hence me doing the article and asking the question.
Not a big deal in the scheme of things, I just retired to the home for the Terminally Confused and forgot about it.
Fred.
Title: RE: Decimal Upsets
Post by: Nevol on October 22, 2019, 09:29:56 AM
I had quite a few 2001 20c put aside somewhere that I kept as I thought they may have been slightly upset, but I'm not sure just where they are at present, or even if I kept them.  :s

I'll see if I can turn them up and maybe get some piccies if any of them look interesting enough.
Title: RE: Decimal Upsets
Post by: Nevol on October 23, 2019, 11:29:26 AM
I relocated 23 x 2001 P'pus and 1 x 2001 Cent of Fed SA 20c that I had put aside, marked as possible upsets.. 
I know why I didn't finish what I wanted to do with them, as it's doing my head in. :s

I have Id'd 2 P'pus that I'm fairly certain are slightly upset, plus the SA Cent of Fed also slightly upset.

The degree of upset is only about 15-20° which may be within the tolerance.

Not too sure if I'll do any more work on them, as most of them are the same.

Piccies will come once I've finished with the cropping etc.
Title: RE: Decimal Upsets
Post by: JeffH on October 23, 2019, 12:20:25 PM
Somewhere (probably CCF) I read that tolerance is ±5º. I have seen plenty very slight -within that range- upsets of 2001 20¢. But from Fred's remarks above maybe tolerance should be considered to be much broader.
Title: RE: Decimal Upsets
Post by: Mister T on October 24, 2019, 08:27:58 PM
Quote from: 'fred lever' pid='120598' dateline='1571696354'Hi  Mr T, back then I went through 100's of images from lots of sources including the RAM and found the majority of them portrayed the side of coins in a position that made sense in a photographic way, that is "looked right".
That pretty much worked for pre 2000 coins but did not make quite fit for later coins around 2000 2002 with all the small variations where it seemed that the mint could not make up its mind. That led to me asking the  simple question of the RAM and then me retiring in confusion when given a stupid answer.
The problem is the original beautiful designs always had elements in them that provided a horizontal and vertical reference like the denomination number on the reverse or the symmetrical lettering on the obverse. The latest iteration of the obverse has Her Majesty jammed in where she fits with an assymetrical larger font. When you casually look at our current 20c pieces  is the pointy bit of the Mam's  bust supposed to be at 6 oclock, or, is Mam's nose supposed to be at 3 oclock?
Now get a bunch of 20 cent pieces of different dates from 2000, put them into 2 x 2's with the reverse alined  by setting the "20" nice and square. Now flip them over and check out how many angles the Queen can be at. Hey look a whole bunch of upsets!!!!
Hence me doing the article and asking the question.
Not a big deal in the scheme of things, I just retired to the home for the Terminally Confused and forgot about it.
Fred.

Actually there's no variation on a 50c piece - that should tell you the right orientation.
Title: RE: Decimal Upsets
Post by: fred lever on October 25, 2019, 08:31:21 AM
Mr T, now there's a sensible  suggestion. I'll grab some 50's and 20's and do a bit of investigating.
Fred.
Title: RE: Decimal Upsets
Post by: JeffH on October 25, 2019, 12:28:14 PM
Fred, I was thinking along the same lines. Are these pictures any help?
(https://www.australian-coins.net/gallery/albums/userpics/10055/139/Align_1.jpg)
(https://www.australian-coins.net/gallery/albums/userpics/10055/139/Align_2.jpg)
(https://www.australian-coins.net/gallery/albums/userpics/10055/139/Align_3.jpg)
Title: RE: Decimal Upsets
Post by: fred lever on October 25, 2019, 02:25:53 PM
Hi Jeff yep thanks, the  coins of interest were mainly the 20 cent  like the 1999 50 , your last image.
Just starting with that iteration of Her Maj, I looked at a bunch of denominations and the image file used appears to be the same.
And why not, as they just expand or contract the image when image milling dies, to suit the ID of the die. So, can I be simplistic and use Mam's nose as our visual ref point.  In the IRB image Mam's nose ALWAYS points at the L all coins all sizes.
Another ref point is the pointy bit of Mam's neck. In your photo lets say the pointy bit is at 5:45 as the clock goes.
Using the Mr T theory I grabbed some  50c pieces popped them into 2x 2 with the reverse so the vertical axis goes down through the spear shape thing at the top and smack between the "50" at the bottom. Then they all have Mam's pointy bit on the obverse at about 5:45.  So that gave me a "standard reference point" picture just like the pix above.
 I have 20 cent pieces where Mam's nose is on the horizontal line  and the pointy bit at 5:30,  all the way to where Mam's nose  points downward and the pointy bit is at  6 oclock.
No wonder I retired to the home for the Terminally Confused.
In the olden days we "press instructions" at the machine for all sorts of jobs telling how to aline or index the various punch or die pieces. How they do it now I don't know. As the images are in CAD I guess the press instructions may be part of that and some HAL robot puts the punches and dies in, I don't know, by some ref mark? From what happened around year 2000 something lost the plot and the dies were alined within that 30 minute range we see.
The whole subject  needs viewing hundreds if not thousands of coins and analysis or,  someone who actually worked on the presses at the mint telling us how they did it instead of me just guessing!
Fred.
Title: RE: Decimal Upsets
Post by: Unicorn on January 25, 2020, 01:32:56 PM
Has anyone else seen anything regarding a 1988 $2 rotated at 22 degrees?

I've looked everywhere and can't find a reference to any.

Anyhow, here's my photos

(https://www.australian-coins.net/gallery/albums/userpics/11067/111/1988_obv_22_small.jpg)

(https://www.australian-coins.net/gallery/albums/userpics/11067/111/1988_rev_aligned_small.jpg)
Title: RE: Decimal Upsets
Post by: Mister T on January 25, 2020, 02:38:19 PM
No - nice find Unicorn!
Title: RE: Decimal Upsets
Post by: JeffH on January 25, 2020, 02:47:50 PM
Well done. Another to put on my list for checking when noodling.
Title: RE: Decimal Upsets
Post by: Pedro on January 25, 2020, 02:58:53 PM
Never heard of it before yours Uni! Excellent.

Pedro
Title: RE: Decimal Upsets
Post by: Unicorn on January 25, 2020, 03:58:57 PM
Thanks guys .... I never noodle $2, but I was going through my odds and sods coin bucket and thought why did I put a 1988 $2 away? Took it out of it's little bag and soon realised why I kept it. Still don't know why I'd forgotten about it ...... but then again, why did I just go to the kitchen. :laugh2:
Title: RE: Decimal Upsets
Post by: JeffH on January 25, 2020, 06:40:18 PM
To get a glass of water?
Title: RE: Decimal Upsets
Post by: Unicorn on January 25, 2020, 09:02:57 PM
Ahhh ..... that's what it was Jeff ..... or was it to look for my glasses which I seem to leave everywhere except my desk!
Title: RE: Decimal Upsets
Post by: Nevol on January 26, 2020, 10:15:35 AM
Well done! I've added it to the list in the first post of this thread. 

Very nice new find.  :yahoo:
Title: RE: Decimal Upsets
Post by: Unicorn on January 26, 2020, 11:43:51 AM
Thanks Nevol! I was hoping you'd see it. I can't believe I didn't post about it when I put it away, geez I must have been totally distracted at the time.  :drinks: