Australian-Coins Forum

Australian Coins, Banknotes and Exonumia => Australian Decimal NCLT => Topic started by: sirfry on November 13, 2012, 09:56:01 AM

Title: Toning/Patina?
Post by: sirfry on November 13, 2012, 09:56:01 AM
Hi all, first post here, glad to be apart of the forum!

Was wondering your thoughts on patina and toning. I was given this 1986 mint set the other week and it struck me as odd. Some of the coins have a bronze like colour and some have an almost gold like appearance. I'm not a hugely experienced numismatist so your thoughts would be appreciated.

Cheers

(http://i50.tinypic.com/2mqnw5s.jpg)


(http://i45.tinypic.com/2d963vr.jpg)
Title: RE: Toning/Patina?
Post by: accumulator on November 13, 2012, 10:12:31 AM
Hi Sirfry, I think you'll find it is the plastic in the set thats giving the coins the yellowie Gold appearance,very common in the 80's.
Title: RE: Toning/Patina?
Post by: sirfry on November 13, 2012, 11:02:33 AM
Quote from: 'accumulator' pid='3050' dateline='1352763751'Hi Sirfry, I think you'll find it is the plastic in the set thats giving the coins the yellowie Gold appearance,very common in the 80's.

Oh ok thanks! is there some way I can check that without opening the set? probably not I'm guessing
Title: RE: Toning/Patina?
Post by: trout on November 13, 2012, 11:26:46 AM
It looks like the plastic is breaking down.
Often this gives the coins inside a golden colour.
Not sure if this is damage but they look nice, Not the green nasty PVC damage but a nice mild gold tint.

I always remove my coins I need from mint packs :good:
Title: RE: Toning/Patina?
Post by: Graham on November 13, 2012, 05:32:55 PM
Welcome to the forum Sirfry
Title: RE: Toning/Patina?
Post by: sirfry on November 13, 2012, 05:37:42 PM
Thanks Graham. Glad to be here!
Title: RE: Toning/Patina?
Post by: trout on November 13, 2012, 09:29:16 PM
How ignorant of me
:welcome: sirfry
:wavemulticolor:
Title: RE: Toning/Patina?
Post by: sirfry on November 14, 2012, 07:32:01 AM
Ha. Thanks mate
Title: RE: Toning/Patina?
Post by: Australian coin on November 14, 2012, 11:09:45 AM
:welcome:
he he, love your avatar, very imaginative.
It’s a brass razoo!
Title: RE: Toning/Patina?
Post by: sirfry on November 14, 2012, 06:09:52 PM
Thanks all!
Title: RE: Toning/Patina?
Post by: AaronG on November 15, 2012, 09:30:08 AM
Welcomeeee!

:wavemulticolor:
Title: RE: Toning/Patina?
Post by: sirfry on November 15, 2012, 12:25:04 PM
Does anyone have any examples of some interesting toning or patina then?
Title: RE: Toning/Patina?
Post by: accumulator on November 15, 2012, 04:50:19 PM
A few for your viewing pleasure.
(http://i389.photobucket.com/albums/oo339/appeangel07_photos/048.jpg)

(http://i389.photobucket.com/albums/oo339/appeangel07_photos/047-3.jpg)

half moon tonig.

(http://i389.photobucket.com/albums/oo339/appeangel07_photos/030-12.jpg)

Rainbow

(http://i389.photobucket.com/albums/oo339/appeangel07_photos/1e291402.jpg)

(http://i389.photobucket.com/albums/oo339/appeangel07_photos/004-53.jpg)

Maybe if we ask the purple penny hunter very nicely,she may put up some of her exquisite purple pennies.
Title: RE: Toning/Patina?
Post by: sirfry on November 15, 2012, 06:06:00 PM
Love the half moon!
Title: RE: Toning/Patina?
Post by: trout on November 15, 2012, 06:44:10 PM
That 1961 half penny is stunning :good:
Fantastic pic's mate:yahoo:
Title: RE: Toning/Patina?
Post by: AaronG on November 15, 2012, 07:34:24 PM
I love the chocolate brown 64 penny!
Title: RE: Toning/Patina?
Post by: Fr45h3R on November 15, 2012, 07:41:32 PM
tough to photograph this one in the slab

[attachment=426][attachment=427]

And another one...
[attachment=428][attachment=429]
Title: RE: Toning/Patina?
Post by: trout on November 15, 2012, 07:57:07 PM
Quote from: 'Fr45h3R' pid='3204' dateline='1352970692'tough to photograph this one in the slab



I have a couple simmilar to this coming from the states.
I'll post some pic's when they get here :good:
Nice Canberra florin old mate :drooling:
Title: RE: Toning/Patina?
Post by: accumulator on November 15, 2012, 10:40:28 PM
This ones niiiice !

(http://i389.photobucket.com/albums/oo339/appeangel07_photos/29-9-08/new%20coin%20album/582ae90c.jpg)

(http://i389.photobucket.com/albums/oo339/appeangel07_photos/29-9-08/new%20coin%20album/b880ce57.jpg)
Title: RE: Toning/Patina?
Post by: markn on November 16, 2012, 06:39:44 AM
(http://www.timeclockmts.com/coins/great-britain-1905-4d-maundy-2.jpg)
(http://www.timeclockmts.com/coins/blue-rimmed-penny.jpg)
(http://www.timeclockmts.com/coins/great-britain-1939-farthing.jpg)
Title: RE: Toning/Patina?
Post by: sirfry on November 16, 2012, 12:38:17 PM
Those 1964 Pennies are awesome :yahoo: