Australian-Coins Forum

Numismatic Discussion => Up and Coming Events => Topic started by: Splock on February 12, 2014, 09:03:29 PM

Title: Melbourne Numismatic Society
Post by: Splock on February 12, 2014, 09:03:29 PM
The next meeting of the Melbourne Numismatic Society will be tomorrow evening (Thursday 13th February) at around 7:45pm at the Box Hill Community Arts Centre, with Steele Waterman giving a talk. If you're in the area, why not pop in and say hi!
Title: RE: Melbourne Numismatic Society
Post by: Fulvio on February 12, 2014, 09:12:12 PM
Quote from: 'Splock' pid='41439' dateline='1392201209'with Steele Waterman giving a talk.

Guaranteed to be informative and entertaining. I'm definitely making the effort to rock up.

Hey Goldy.. wanna come for a drive over to our side of town?
Title: RE: Melbourne Numismatic Society
Post by: Goldseeker on February 12, 2014, 09:21:42 PM
Quote from: 'Fulvio' pid='41441' dateline='1392201732'
Quote from: 'Splock' pid='41439' dateline='1392201209'with Steele Waterman giving a talk.

Guaranteed to be informative and entertaining. I'm definitely making the effort to rock up.

Hey Goldy.. wanna come for a drive over to our side of town?

Sorry mate, calendar already full.......
Title: RE: Melbourne Numismatic Society
Post by: trout on February 12, 2014, 09:36:21 PM
Quote from: 'Fulvio' pid='41441' dateline='1392201732'
Quote from: 'Splock' pid='41439' dateline='1392201209'with Steele Waterman giving a talk.

Guaranteed to be informative and entertaining. I'm definitely making the effort to rock up.

Hey Goldy.. wanna come for a drive over to our side of town?

I would attend in a heartbeat Mate But far to long a drive for me.
The ANDA Perth show is the closest and that's 500k's :dash1:
Title: RE: Melbourne Numismatic Society
Post by: runway on February 12, 2014, 10:49:19 PM
Steele Waterman speech would be worth the effort
Title: RE: Melbourne Numismatic Society
Post by: Fulvio on February 13, 2014, 11:13:13 PM
Well, it was a good night. Steele managed to enthrall everyone with his tales of Cyprus, including his exploits as a peacekeeper there. He passed around a folder of banknotes which was interesting (and valuable), but the highlight for me was the "French Army Knife" coin.. How come we haven't had piccies posted of this before, Splock?
Title: RE: Melbourne Numismatic Society
Post by: Splock on February 14, 2014, 10:42:12 PM
Quote from: 'Fulvio' pid='41542' dateline='1392295393'but the highlight for me was the "French Army Knife" coin.. How come we haven't had piccies posted of this before, Splock?

Been busy what with new job and all! Good to see you there and hope you make it to another meeting soon. Meanwhile here's the couteau de fromage!

(http://imageshack.com/a/img138/7382/rblo.jpg)
Title: RE: Melbourne Numismatic Society
Post by: Fulvio on February 15, 2014, 01:43:59 AM
Quote from: 'Splock' pid='41649' dateline='1392379932'Been busy what with new job and all! Good to see you there and hope you make it to another meeting soon. Meanwhile here's the couteau de fromage!

Ta muchly. And yes, I plan on being more involved than previously.
Title: RE: Melbourne Numismatic Society
Post by: Fulvio on March 13, 2014, 02:18:21 PM
7pm tonight in Box Hill.. be there! :)
Title: RE: Melbourne Numismatic Society
Post by: Fulvio on March 14, 2014, 12:01:36 PM
Handed out some info about the forum last night... just a recent thread listing, but it might pique some interest from the 19 members and visitors who were there.

Online communications came up, and I was wondering.... would it be feasible to offer clubs little corners of the forum, using group tags for access? That could be quite an attraction for all clubs, saving them running their own forums/mailing lists/etc.
Title: RE: Melbourne Numismatic Society
Post by: ausjack on March 14, 2014, 12:27:22 PM
Quote from: 'Splock' pid='41649' dateline='1392379932'
Quote from: 'Fulvio' pid='41542' dateline='1392295393'but the highlight for me was the "French Army Knife" coin.. How come we haven't had piccies posted of this before, Splock?

Been busy what with new job and all! Good to see you there and hope you make it to another meeting soon. Meanwhile here's the couteau de fromage!

(http://imageshack.com/a/img138/7382/rblo.jpg)

Sorry for going off topic Fulvio but this thing really amazes me and is just so cool I want one so if anyone has one or comes across one I'll buy it :)
Title: RE: Melbourne Numismatic Society
Post by: rickscoins_123 on March 14, 2014, 03:59:30 PM
Hi Fulvio thanks for the introduction to the forum last night I have now signed up and look forward to learning a great deal more about the world of numismatics Rick
Title: RE: Melbourne Numismatic Society
Post by: purplepennyhunter on March 14, 2014, 06:07:30 PM
Hi Rick, welcome to the forum :)
Title: RE: Melbourne Numismatic Society
Post by: Fulvio on March 14, 2014, 08:54:20 PM
Welcome aboard Rick. Glad you could make it. :yahoo:

Quote from: 'ausjack' pid='43821' dateline='1394762242'Sorry for going off topic Fulvio but this thing really amazes me and is just so cool I want one so if anyone has one or comes across one I'll buy it :)

Not at all... its even better in hand. Doesn't just look good, but its actually practical as well.

Best of luck finding another though. Not exactly a mass-produced item, y'know... but we could always kidnap Splock and waterboard him or something. :mafia:

...or you could make one! Man of your talents, I'm sure it would be a trifling matter. :)

Oh, and here's another one:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/UNUSUAL-RARE-FRENCH-ARMY-KNIFE-MADE-FROM-1870-5-FRANC-COIN-3-TO-SHIP-/271379552735?nma=true&si=kpnhVW6ya0RdO58kf9CHKxSybZg%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557
Title: RE: Melbourne Numismatic Society
Post by: Splock on March 15, 2014, 02:18:02 PM
While I'm always up for a bit of casual torture it might be easier if you went to this website, where I think they still might make them :-)

http://www.eloi.net/coinknives.html (http://www.eloi.net/coinknives.html)

Oh and welcome aboard Rick!
Title: RE: Melbourne Numismatic Society
Post by: ausjack on March 15, 2014, 09:44:08 PM
Welcome Rick, hope you enjoy the site mate :good: Thanks heaps for that splock I'll suss them out and hope I don't have to sell a kidney :winkextra:

Fulvio you can waterboard and I'll do the or something..your a bad man and gonna get me in trouble :laugh2:
Title: RE: Melbourne Numismatic Society
Post by: Fulvio on March 15, 2014, 10:03:36 PM
Quote from: 'ausjack' pid='43948' dateline='1394882048'your a bad man and gonna get me in trouble :laugh2:

Absolutely! :diablo:
Title: RE: Melbourne Numismatic Society
Post by: ausjack on March 16, 2014, 06:12:33 AM
:laugh2: mate I can get in to enough trouble my self thank you very much :(
Title: RE: Melbourne Numismatic Society
Post by: proof27 on March 17, 2014, 05:33:23 PM
Hi all, new here. New to collecting to. Went along for first meeting at Box Hill and enjoyed it. Nice people, and great looking at coins being passed along to view. Can see already I will learn a lot from this group.
Title: RE: Melbourne Numismatic Society
Post by: markn on March 17, 2014, 05:34:21 PM
Quote from: 'proof27' pid='44039' dateline='1395039803'Hi all, new here. New to collecting to. Went along for first meeting at Box Hill and enjoyed it. Nice people, and great looking at coins being passed along to view. Can see already I will learn a lot from this group.

Welcome to the forum :)
Title: RE: Melbourne Numismatic Society
Post by: Unicorn on March 17, 2014, 05:58:19 PM
:welcome: to the forum Proof27
Title: RE: Melbourne Numismatic Society
Post by: purplepennyhunter on March 17, 2014, 06:51:48 PM
Hello and Welcome :)
Title: RE: Melbourne Numismatic Society
Post by: proof27 on March 17, 2014, 07:23:43 PM
Thanks all :wavemulticolor:
Title: RE: Melbourne Numismatic Society
Post by: Fulvio on March 18, 2014, 06:24:45 PM
So, I think I count three new members so far, out of a total of 19 people in attendance (two of us already members). Not a bad result I think.

So how about people in other states try a little promotion at their local clubs as well? The forum could be the glue that binds a whole network of people and organisations together, to everyone's benefit, don't you think?
Title: RE: Melbourne Numismatic Society
Post by: trout on March 18, 2014, 06:32:31 PM
:welcome:
Proof27
Do I sense another Canberra Florin Fan?
Welcome to the forum Mate :yahoo:
:wavemulticolor:
Title: RE: Melbourne Numismatic Society
Post by: ausjack on March 19, 2014, 03:23:33 AM
Welcome PR27, hope you enjoy mate :)

:dodgy: no Fulvio you don't get shares :ok:
Title: RE: Melbourne Numismatic Society
Post by: ausjack on March 25, 2014, 12:54:59 PM
Sorry it took me so long Splock but I just emailed the link you put up so will let know know what happens if anything :good:
Title: RE: Melbourne Numismatic Society
Post by: Fulvio on April 10, 2014, 09:49:36 PM
Oh dear...

At MNS tonight I got roped into doing a presentation on coin storage/plastics in July or August. *sigh*
Title: RE: Melbourne Numismatic Society
Post by: Splock on April 11, 2014, 12:41:21 PM
Must remember to get my best heckling material ready by then ;-)
Title: RE: Melbourne Numismatic Society
Post by: Fulvio on April 11, 2014, 12:52:03 PM
Quote from: 'Splock' pid='46278' dateline='1397185881'Must remember to get my best heckling material ready by then ;-)

:P

Depending on what I come up with, I may need your projector....