Australian-Coins Forum

Australian Coins, Banknotes and Exonumia => Australian Decimal Circulating Coins => Topic started by: trout on December 24, 2013, 01:52:20 PM

Title: Oh Dear ( or words to that effect)
Post by: trout on December 24, 2013, 01:52:20 PM
This is why sometimes leaving coins in the original RAM packaging is not always a great idea.
The 20 cent coin is ruined although the other coins are still good..

(http://www.australian-coins.net/gallery/albums/userpics/10019/ram_crap1.jpg)

(http://www.australian-coins.net/gallery/albums/userpics/10019/ram_crap.jpg)

(http://www.australian-coins.net/gallery/albums/userpics/10019/ram_crap3.jpg)

(http://www.australian-coins.net/gallery/albums/userpics/10019/ram_crap2.jpg)


The 50 cent coin seems to not be affected whatsoever, very strange.
(http://www.australian-coins.net/gallery/albums/userpics/10019/1985_50_cent1~0.jpg)

(http://www.australian-coins.net/gallery/albums/userpics/10019/1985_50_cent.jpg)
Title: RE: Oh Dear ( or words to that effect)
Post by: Fulvio on December 24, 2013, 01:59:29 PM
That 20¢ looks like it has a fingerprint?

I presume the packaging was PVC, yes?
Title: RE: Oh Dear ( or words to that effect)
Post by: trout on December 24, 2013, 02:04:09 PM
Quote from: 'Fulvio' pid='37995' dateline='1387855769'That 20¢ looks like it has a fingerprint?

I presume the packaging was PVC, yes?

Yes the early issues suffer badly from this :dash1:
Title: RE: Oh Dear ( or words to that effect)
Post by: stevo1962 on December 24, 2013, 02:13:45 PM
I have 7 of these 1985 sets and I just checked them to find that 2 of the sets have a 20 cent piece that looks to be affected.Both of these sets have the yellow plastic packing so maybe the clear packaging is OK
Title: RE: Oh Dear ( or words to that effect)
Post by: keldaw on December 24, 2013, 02:14:57 PM
jim ,, mine went ex the same     .20 cent only   ,, kel ,,
Title: RE: Oh Dear ( or words to that effect)
Post by: trout on December 24, 2013, 02:18:00 PM
Quote from: 'keldaw' pid='37998' dateline='1387856697'jim ,, mine went ex the same     .20 cent only   ,, kel ,,

It is a little bit weird that it is only the 20 cent coin affected :dontknow:
I also have 1984 sets with the 20 cent coin beggared as well
Title: RE: Oh Dear ( or words to that effect)
Post by: lacey on December 24, 2013, 05:21:54 PM
Quote from: 'stevo1962' pid='37997' dateline='1387856625'I have 7 of these 1985 sets and I just checked them to find that 2 of the sets have a 20 cent piece that looks to be affected.Both of these sets have the yellow plastic packing so maybe the clear packaging is OK

I have opened app 4 over time, all with yellow plastic and all coins came out great.  opened up 2 non yellow and the 20c didn't look too healthy but not as bad as those in the photos
Title: RE: Oh Dear ( or words to that effect)
Post by: runway on February 09, 2014, 10:30:32 PM
Storage conditions always effect coins
Title: RE: Oh Dear ( or words to that effect)
Post by: Ozcoins on February 09, 2014, 10:38:15 PM
It is pretty poor that packaging does not properly protect the coins.
I have a mint set which has yellowed quite a lot, this also should not happen.
I think I will take the coins out of the yellowed set.
Title: RE: Oh Dear ( or words to that effect)
Post by: emu666 on February 10, 2014, 03:40:55 AM
Notice also the scrape across the obverse of the 50 cent.
This scrape occurs often on most 50 cent issues from the early 1980s to the current ones. It is very common on the 2006 Commonwealth games fifties.
Title: RE: Oh Dear ( or words to that effect)
Post by: ADMISLSE on February 10, 2014, 03:22:49 PM
thanks for sharing.